Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking to buy myself a graduation present rifle for an upcoming mule deer elk/combo hunt. Want a CRF model 70, vintage does not matter. Not looking for a collector, just a tool to hunt with. Thinking 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Anyone have one they are thinking of selling?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
See if you can find a ss all weather in 270 win and enjoy it all the time...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I may be getting a 7mm mag in an upcoming trade.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck rusty. Now I really wished I would have bought the classic blued in walnut stock for $600 a few months back. Scotty said I fd up, I guess I could have sold it to him or someone else looking for a beater.... I just remembered I know where there is a 7mm rem mag classic stainless in decent condition. It has the tupperware stock, but the downfall is it has the boss on it. That could be cut off and you'd be at just about the right length for a useable 7mm rem mag anyways.. I'm assuming your price range is not at that level though? Roughly $950... I may check that rifle out again and possibly buy it. Still on the fence though, as I do not like the 7mm rem mag.. You didn't say how much you are willing to spend. The stainless models are going for quite a bit more than the blued models..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck in your search. Seems like normal gun stores that have some used racks are your best chances. I wouldn’t pass up anything between a 270 to a 338 Win. If you can load ammo all of them will work excellent.

Semper Fi
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You would be hard pressed to do better than this ‘06; great seller too.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...a-ruger-10-22-model70-tuppe#Post17249780

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Buy the stainless and don't look back! Good for you that my funds are short right now!

R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Looking in the $600-$800 range

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Your best bet is to get out and do some searching. I know most guys hate doing that, but that is where you find the deals.. When I go and pick up my new Tikka, I'll see if the shop still has the stainless classic 7mm rem mag. The classic stainless CRS had for sale here was a great deal. That rifle looked damn clean. Those 5 digit stainless/walnut rifles are hard to find. Even chambered in 30-06, which was the most common. That's probably the one I would have bought, had I been in the OP's shoes.. but then again, not really a "shooter". There are some beaters around too that have been used and abused that I've seen in the $600 price range.. But again, you have to be out there looking for them..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rusty, this is the best I can do for you buddy:

Model 70 classic sporter 338wm in tupperware stock

You are likely not going to find a better deal on a nice classic CRF model 70 338wm. That would also be my first choice when looking for an elk rifle. Ask Scotty how well the 338 works on elk. I also would take the 338 over the 300wm or 7mm rem mag all day long and twice on sunday. You buy that rifle and if you handload, I'll send you a bag of 250gr Nosler partitions to load up..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sent you a PM with one to keep an eye on.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rusty, did you buy one yet? The ones I posted were pretty dang good deals. I see one of them sold. Its going to be tough to find a classic 338wm for $800 or less than a grand and scoped with a $300 Leupold. That means you are paying $700 for the rifle. If you have never had a 338 or are thinking the 300 is better, you may want to re think that bs.. I should take my 338wm out today and do some shooting at 3-500 yards. Might make your head spin...

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Go to the pawnshops in your area. You should be able to find one crf new haven for about 6 bills with a scope of some kind.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Go to the pawnshops in your area. You should be able to find one crf new haven for about 6 bills with a scope of some kind.

If you can, you better pick them up. They are very few and far between at that price within a 600 mile radius from me. Every locale is different though. Now, if you would have said push feed model 70's I'd be more agreeable. But even those are getting harder to find for a great deal like that. However, I Just picked up another XTR. They threw in $200 worth of ammo, a nice hard case (worth $100) and also new in the box Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. The rifle also came with a scope. When I asked her how negotiable she was on the price, she lowered it by $100 and then told me all the other stuff came with it as well. That was a "no brainer"...

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

If you can, you better pick them up. They are very few and far between at that price within a 600 mile radius from me. Every locale is different though. Now, if you would have said push feed model 70's I'd be more agreeable. But even those are getting harder to find for a great deal like that. However, I Just picked up another XTR. They threw in $200 worth of ammo, a nice hard case (worth $100) and also new in the box Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. The rifle also came with a scope. When I asked her how negotiable she was on the price, she lowered it by $100 and then told me all the other stuff came with it as well. That was a "no brainer"...

What caliber? And you paid what?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I made it a mission to go out and prove you wrong. Just picked up a 5 digit classic with scope for $500. Put it on the same 4473, since I was picking up my other rifle today at that shop. No wasted gas or time that way. laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

This one had a Burris from Colorado fixed power 3X scope that I wanted for my Brno model 21H in 7X57 all in for 6 bills.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Sometimes you can get lucky. This is a Pre-64 Standard 270 win with a Leupold VXiii 2X8 scope that I picked up for 650.00.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I made it a mission to go out and prove you wrong. Just picked up a 5 digit classic with scope for $500. Put it on the same 4473, since I was picking up my other rifle today at that shop. No wasted gas or time that way. laugh whistle

You suck whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sometimes you can get lucky. This is a Pre-64 Standard 270 win with a Leupold VXiii 2X8 scope that I picked up for 650.00.

Nice shooter pre 64. That's about what I'd expect to pay for one. Maybe even less, considering the condition and cut stock for recoil pad. You did well on the classic.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchester88

What caliber? And you paid what?

Ohhhh, I may not want to kiss and tell too much on this one..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

You suck whistle

Ha ha.. Yeah, this one has me stumped. Someone loved it big time. I don't know if I've ever seen as much wear on a classic bolt handle. The knob is almost chrome from use.

Yet, the bolt face doesn't show a ton of use:

The action is very smooth. Almost like someone polished it out because that bolt runs pretty smoothly. Maybe they just sat on the couch running the bolt for fun??? The bluing is a little thin and it appears to have been hunted religiously. Like I said, someone really liked the rifle. My inclination is it's going to shoot 1" 3 shot groups with loads it likes.. I was cleaning the XTR up after I got home and haven't touched this one much. That damn XTR trigger pull was an honest 7 pounds on my RCBS trigger pull gauge. It is 2 3/8 pounds now and feels pretty damn good. Bedding is lacking, like all factory Winchester model 70's, from any era. If I shoot it any, it is going to get properly glass bedded. Same goes for the 7mm rem mag. Typical:
This is why we glass bed our model 70's^^^^^^^ Look at the wear on the tang. That thing was skating around in the stock big time. Those that don't think that affects accuracy, don't know much..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
“Those that don't think that affects accuracy, don't know much”.

You right about that.

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
FWIW I will buy any Pre64 Win Model 70 in this shape for $650.00. The scope and rings are worth 200. So if you can find Pre-64 Model 70s cheaper than 450.00 more power to you.

Last edited by kaboku68; 06/03/22.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
FWIW I will buy any Pre64 Win Model 70 in this shape for $650.00. The scope and rings are worth 200. So if you can find Pre-64 Model 70s cheaper than 450.00 more power to you.

I think you did very well!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
“Those that don't think that affects accuracy, don't know much”.

You right about that.

DF

You are one I know likes to make sure your rifles are properly glass bedded. Thanks DF.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pre 64 models will often shoot very well without touching the bedding

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I've done a lot better, but you did fine too. One example was a 100% all original std wt 30-06. Paid $675 for it, and yes it was scoped with an older Redfield 3-9x40, that after doing some research found out it was a pretty sought after scope. Came with a peep sight, new in the box. Found out that was worth quite a bit as well. Keep in mind I sell everything, I don't need, on ebay. The stock was too nice, really, for what I wanted and it was all original with the steel butt plate. Not cut like many are. That went for $360.00, the scope for $250 or $275, but in that ballpark, the Lyman rear aperture another $120, the 22G3C for $120. You kind of get the picture. Yeah, I had to replace the stock. My good buddy smith had one he basically gave to me. Someone botched up a bedding job on it, so I installed pillars and it was great after that. It was also the same vintage, but a montecarlo, which suits me much better than the low comb. I replaced the original rear sight (22G/3C) with a flip up that cost me $25. Then I later sold the rifle to a great guy here and he was ecstatic about the rifle. Said it shot better than his Tikka's. He later sold all of his Tikka's and hung on to 2 rifles I sold to him and one he bought from Roger Rule. He sent the 338WM, he bought from me, to Gene Similion to install a Mcmillan on it. Gene said the trigger was perfect and wanted to know who worked on it. I found that to be a pretty good compliment. I've paid way less for some pre 64's, but those deals don't come around every day and they are not found in every "pawnshop". When you get lucky and find them, you pull out your wallet or you walk away and regret it later. A perfect example of that was a featherweight, made in '58, that I bought 2 years ago for $475. My all original 1956 fwt I paid $800 for. There have been 2 243 featherweights I've walked away from because I didn't have the money. They were both $800.00 and that was a year ago.

Originally Posted by shouldershot

You can hold on to that belief, but wood does funny things over time. I don't like glass bedding primo collectable pre 64's, but there have been known rifles that just tear up factory stocks. Step up to the magnums and cracked stocks are/were an issue. I've seen a lot of 338wm's and a couple 375's, that have been split. If you don't shoot much, then leaving them factory is fine. Hell, if that is the case a Leupold scope will work just fine too. Or take the original stock off and put it in a cardboard box and put the rifle in a Mcmillan. BTDT..

BSA MAGA
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Finally found one. An ultimate shadow in 270 win for $500. Not a magnum, but I will likely get more use out of it in the long term. Thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell yes. The 270 is pretty damn capable too. Try some 150gr partitions in that one and see how she does..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Any time you can sell off parts, end up with a $400 Pre-64 action, ya done good. I’ve done that a time or two.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Any time you can sell off parts, end up with a $400 Pre-64 action, ya done good. I’ve done that a time or two.

DF

Or sell off parts and end up with a pre 64 featherweight in a mcmillan stock for $400.. ha ha..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Yea Ok.

Eight bills seems to be the low end for a used CRF without a scope, There are 2 264's ,7mag, 300 win mag and 300 weatherby mag available. These are all blued.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 06/05/22.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Or sell off parts and end up with a pre 64 featherweight in a mcmillan stock for $400.. ha ha..
Even better.

Ha!

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yea Ok.

Eight bills seems to be the low end for a used CRF without a scope, There are 2 264's ,7mag, 300 win mag and 300 weatherby mag available. These are all blued.

That sounds about right. Even more most times. It is very rare, these days, that a gunshop is not linked to gunbroker somehow. Either they sell there or they keep a close eye on what they are priced at there. This really starts to screw things up. I've noticed more and more shops like this. The recent shop I was at ,where I scored on 2 winchester model 70's (one a nice 7mm rem mag classic), they obviously were not keeping an eye on prices. There are still mom and pop shops out there that are that way, but getting fewer and further between. Even 5 years ago, it was easier to get a good deal. The reason I posted the link, or 2, of the 338wm classic sporter is because that was a pretty good deal at $800.00. I wouldn't expect guys to go much lower when selling one. And yes, I'd prefer that over any 300wm out there. Sounds like the OP found a nice 270 though, which is good. The 270 is a very capable cartridge. Not my favorite, but still very capable..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rusty75
Finally found one. An ultimate shadow in 270 win for $500. Not a magnum, but I will likely get more use out of it in the long term. Thanks

Good score. Do you handload? Or are you going to handload for it?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking to buy myself a graduation present rifle for an upcoming mule deer elk/combo hunt. Want a CRF model 70, vintage does not matter. Not looking for a collector, just a tool to hunt with. Thinking 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Anyone have one they are thinking of selling?

I have a 7mm RM Ruger Tanger with a B&C stock I’d sell.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger

I have a 7mm RM Ruger Tanger with a B&C stock I’d sell.

Too late. He found a good CRF model 70 for a great deal. Besides, the tanger is push feed..

BSA MAGA
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Not a hand loader. What is best factory elk/mule deer load in 270 win?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Man, I'd definitely take a gander at the Federal Premium 150 PT's or anything with the 130 TTSX..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Man, I'd definitely take a gander at the Federal Premium 150 PT's or anything with the 130 TTSX..

Federal premium stuff is always good. As were the light magnum loads and "high energy" stuff. One of my buddies has been also using the Hornady precision hunter and having good success with it. He's not a handloader either. For practice I'd look at the Federal blue box or good ol Remington core lokt ammo. One of my 270's really loved that schidt:

Sighted in high for MPBR..^^^

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Federal premium stuff is always good. As were the light magnum loads and "high energy" stuff. One of my buddies has been also using the Hornady precision hunter and having good success with it. He's not a handloader either. For practice I'd look at the Federal blue box or good ol Remington core lokt ammo. One of my 270's really loved that schidt:

I had a 7 mag that would shoot 175gr Core Lokt like that. I gave the rifle to a buddy when he talked about his ol Remington jammo matic. I said here man you can have it and shoot these out of it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I had a 7 mag that would shoot 175gr Core Lokt like that. I gave the rifle to a buddy when he talked about his ol Remington jammo matic. I said here man you can have it and shoot these out of it.

It's kinda funny, I am moving and have packed away all of my loading gear. I have kinda decided to pick up a regular rifle that shoots plain old factory ammo that is available, mount a scope, buy a few different types of ammo with bullets I'd be happy to hunt with, shoot it, then buy a case of the stuff of the best shooting stuff and leave my gear packed up. Too much time getting sucked up by other stuff more important to spend my time on right now, so I am trying to cheat a little this year grin

Last edited by beretzs; 06/07/22.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've done a lot better, but you did fine too. One example was a 100% all original std wt 30-06. Paid $675 for it, and yes it was scoped with an older Redfield 3-9x40, that after doing some research found out it was a pretty sought after scope. Came with a peep sight, new in the box. Found out that was worth quite a bit as well. Keep in mind I sell everything, I don't need, on ebay. The stock was too nice, really, for what I wanted and it was all original with the steel butt plate. Not cut like many are. That went for $360.00, the scope for $250 or $275, but in that ballpark, the Lyman rear aperture another $120, the 22G3C for $120. You kind of get the picture. Yeah, I had to replace the stock. My good buddy smith had one he basically gave to me. Someone botched up a bedding job on it, so I installed pillars and it was great after that. It was also the same vintage, but a montecarlo, which suits me much better than the low comb. I replaced the original rear sight (22G/3C) with a flip up that cost me $25. Then I later sold the rifle to a great guy here and he was ecstatic about the rifle. Said it shot better than his Tikka's. He later sold all of his Tikka's and hung on to 2 rifles I sold to him and one he bought from Roger Rule. He sent the 338WM, he bought from me, to Gene Similion to install a Mcmillan on it. Gene said the trigger was perfect and wanted to know who worked on it. I found that to be a pretty good compliment. I've paid way less for some pre 64's, but those deals don't come around every day and they are not found in every "pawnshop". When you get lucky and find them, you pull out your wallet or you walk away and regret it later. A perfect example of that was a featherweight, made in '58, that I bought 2 years ago for $475. My all original 1956 fwt I paid $800 for. There have been 2 243 featherweights I've walked away from because I didn't have the money. They were both $800.00 and that was a year ago.

You can hold on to that belief, but wood does funny things over time. I don't like glass bedding primo collectable pre 64's, but there have been known rifles that just tear up factory stocks. Step up to the magnums and cracked stocks are/were an issue. I've seen a lot of 338wm's and a couple 375's, that have been split. If you don't shoot much, then leaving them factory is fine. Hell, if that is the case a Leupold scope will work just fine too. Or take the original stock off and put it in a cardboard box and put the rifle in a Mcmillan. BTDT..

That 270 I bought last year I didn't bed. It will shoot these 150's sierras and 150 Speers like this. Yes, it is now zeroed I was shooting for groups I was shooting 150 sierras, 150 Hornady's and s150 Speer. It will not shoot the 150 Hornady's like it shoots the sierras and Speers. Maybe the rifle likes boattails over the flat base bullets ?? who knows.

[Linked Image]

The featherweight I got off you will shoot the 178ger eld-x
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 06/07/22.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those are two good shooting rifles John..

I have a Classic 7-08 that is complete dogshcitt with 130 Speer Flat Base Hot Cor's, thought the gun was bent. Didn't change a darn thing but switched to a 130 Speer BTSP and it was drilling knot holes. Even funnier is it shot the flat base 132 Bitterroots into the same group, so there is never any accounting what a rifle will ever do in my opinion.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

It's kinda funny, I am moving and have packed away all of my loading gear. I have kinda decided to pick up a regular rifle that shoots plain old factory ammo that is available, mount a scope, buy a few different types of ammo with bullets I'd be happy to hunt with, shoot it, then buy a case of the stuff of the best shooting stuff and leave my gear packed up. Too much time getting sucked up by other stuff more important to spend my time on right now, so I am trying to cheat a little this year grin

That's not like you man... I wish you well on your move though. Having recently moved myself. I know it can be a pita..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, it does pain me a little, but I figure I'll give it a whirl. Haven't used factory ammo in forever, but I like to try different things now and again. My new place (temporary) doesn't have a good place to set up a bench. If I really get a hankering I can use my brothers stuff. All of my stuff is available but I think I'd rather wait till after hunting season this year to mess around with the stuff.

Bob did this a few times and a few others I know and respect have mentioned it to keep life simple when you have a bunch going on.. I don't think I am too old to learn..

My only fear is I will find some great shooting stuff and won't be able to find it after I shoot laugh

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

That 270 I bought last year I didn't bed. It will shoot these 150's sierras and 150 Speers like this. Yes, it is now zeroed I was shooting for groups I was shooting 150 sierras, 150 Hornady's and s150 Speer. It will not shoot the 150 Hornady's like it shoots the sierras and Speers. Maybe the rifle likes boattails over the flat base bullets ?? who knows.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice shooting pre's you got there buddy. I'm glad I sold that 30-06 to you. I remember when you were looking for one, so I gave that one up since I had a spare. Now I have another spare, but its in a Mcmillan and I like that rifle a lot and the other one has sentimental value, as it was made in '56. The same year my parents were born. Took a while to find that rifle.. I knew you would wring it out though. That is a great rifle. Functions about as perfectly as a guy could want. I wonder how Scotty's 212 load with 6.5 stabil would work in it? That would be a sledge hammer of a load..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No, it does pain me a little, but I figure I'll give it a whirl. Haven't used factory ammo in forever, but I like to try different things now and again. My new place (temporary) doesn't have a good place to set up a bench. If I really get a hankering I can use my brothers stuff. All of my stuff is available but I think I'd rather wait till after hunting season this year to mess around with the stuff.

Bob did this a few times and a few others I know and respect have mentioned it to keep life simple when you have a bunch going on.. I don't think I am too old to learn..

My only fear is I will find some great shooting stuff and won't be able to find it after I shoot laugh

Yeah, that is the downfall to factory ammo these days.. IF at all possible, find what works and buy many boxes of the same lot. But you already know that.. You won't find ammo for your mashy though..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah, that is the downfall to factory ammo these days.. IF at all possible, find what works and buy many boxes of the same lot. But you already know that.. You won't find ammo for your mashy though..

Nope, that's for sure.... I found something close to the Mashburn that'll fill in for it for a bit I think though.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Those are two good shooting rifles John..

I have a Classic 7-08 that is complete dogshcitt with 130 Speer Flat Base Hot Cor's, thought the gun was bent. Didn't change a darn thing but switched to a 130 Speer BTSP and it was drilling knot holes. Even funnier is it shot the flat base 132 Bitterroots into the same group, so there is never any accounting what a rifle will ever do in my opinion.

Good post. That is the truth right there^^^^ We like to bust balls on accuracy and precision and chidt like that. 79s and I go back and forth and for the guys that don't know us, they probably think we are enemies. A perfect example of this is the 300wby I shot yesterday. Yeah, I shot a few different 3 shot groups that measure 1.5" roughly. The 400 yard group was a little over 1 moa. Some may scoff at that, but to me I see potential and was quite happy with the results. Its shooting equilateral triangles. Meaning that its fundamentally solid and capable of achieving much better results. Just got to find the right combination of bullet and powder and a past recoil puzzy pad next time!!!! ha ha.. The same can be said for my new Tikka 204. I was shooting in the wind yesterday and it was getting dimmer and dimmer, as I left the range about 8:20 lastnight. I wanted to shoot that rifle at 400 yards as well, so I was rushing things. Had to test out my new spotter too. That fn thing is incredible. Could easily see 20 cal holes in the paper at 400 yards, even in low light conditions. Anyway, speaking of equilateral triangle:
Not great by any stretch of the imagination, but that was factory ammo.. On a calm day and using hand loads, I expect to cut that group size in half or better..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice shooting pre's you got there buddy. I'm glad I sold that 30-06 to you. I remember when you were looking for one, so I gave that one up since I had a spare. Now I have another spare, but its in a Mcmillan and I like that rifle a lot and the other one has sentimental value, as it was made in '56. The same year my parents were born. Took a while to find that rifle.. I knew you would wring it out though. That is a great rifle. Functions about as perfectly as a guy could want. I wonder how Scotty's 212 load with 6.5 stabil would work in it? That would be a sledge hammer of a load..

212's are finally available again I should give it a try I have a bunch of staball 6.5 as well..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

212's are finally available again I should give it a try I have a bunch of staball 6.5 as well..

Dang, there you go. I know Scotty's pre 64 shot damn well with his load... Your 178ELDX load is very respectable though. No need to change that one.. I know you gave me the recipe. When I find some more 178's I'll have to give them a try.. I burned up the last ones I had in my BSA:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 212 load is one of them I have no thoughts of changing cause it shoots so well and handled elk well. Sometimes I can’t help but to mess with things but that one just keeps 50 rounds loaded and zeroed, ready to hunt.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 212 load is one of them I have no thoughts of changing cause it shoots so well and handled elk well. Sometimes I can’t help but to mess with things but that one just keeps 50 rounds loaded and zeroed, ready to hunt.

Exactly this^^^^. That is pretty critical with my "elk hunting" rifles as well. I generally don't shoot them much either. I always have a box or 2 of 50 rounds per just for my elk hunting rifles. Those are rifles that I can depend on 100%. They don't lose zero, they always shoot to where I'm aiming too. I'm pretty critical of those rifles. I'm going to give that 212 load a try myself, one of these days..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One of the recent CRF model 70 7mm rem mags went to the range today. Took some of these silver bullets out to try out in this one. Shot some the other day through the stainless BOSS and they did very well:

Did some stock swapping with the Tikka's. Pulled the b&c off of the 204 and put it on my new 1 in 8 twist 22-250. I like the 22-250 better. I also pulled the bolt handle off the 204 and swapped them, along with the mountain tactical bottom metal and rail and scope. ha ha.. Anyway, the 77's shot pretty good:

Not bad for a first day and first load development for the new girl. She doesn't appear to be finicky at all. I will stretch her legs out to 400 when the wind is not blowing so hard. I only worked on some loads at 100 today with this one, but took the 7mm Rem mag classic out to the 400 yard range. The wind started picking up too much though and called it at the 300. After shooting the yote a few times and getting a 6" group on steel, I knew the wind was not cooperating or making it any easier. Anyone else buy any Winchester model 70's over the weekend? I damned near bought a 243 XTR featherweight. Although not a CRF classic, it is a damn beauty. Its one I think I'm going to be kicking myself in the azz, down the road, for not buying it!! I also ran across a very nice BACO that had been rebarreled with a heavy 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I have a feeling that rifle is a tack driver. It was only $700.00, which seemed damned reasonable. Again, not a "classic", but a very nice rifle. That rifle i could see myself putting a NF scope on it and taking it to some of the matches i shoot. It would be a sleeper from hell. Of course after I treat it with a proper bedding job and ernie spring... I did see a classic in a custom stock at Cabela's in Reno. Nice rifle, chambered in 280 remington. They wanted quite a bit for it though: $1,100.00...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
God, shooting up all them good bullets on paper…. crazy

The TBBC is a helluva good critter getter.

Looks like they’re shooting well too.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
God, shooting up all them good bullets on paper…. crazy

The TBBC is a helluva good critter getter.

Looks like they’re shooting well too.

Ha ha. Yeah, sorry. I feel guilty, but they were fairly cheap when I bought them. Less than $30/box if I remember right (well $29 I think). It was for a good reason: Load development buddy.. Now I won't be able to find anymore!!!! It appears that both the new to me classics like that bullet though. I'll bet they make damn good elk slayers. I'll be back to shooting those dang 162 ELDX here shortly. Found a great buy on those the other day though. That reminds me, I need to go back and buy the rest they have. The SOB's hid them behind some SST's, but I know they are there.. ha ha.. Suckers...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey scotty, do you have any loads you can share with me on the fast twist Tikka? Even a good starting place. Bullets and powder you used. Pm me when you get a chance. Thanks buddy.. I want to find some 77 TMK's, but those are non existent around here.. I ended up buying some more 77 SMK:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I used RL17 with 75-77’s in mine. 75 grain Swifts and 77 TMKs. RL15 works great too.

8208, 4064, etc all worked slick as hell with 62 TTSXs.

I was also getting crazy speed with SB6.5 and 55’s.

17 and 75 Amax and ELDs worked great too.

Let me know what you wanna zero in on.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I was just wanting to conserve my AR Comp. Ha ha. If I can find RL17, I'll buy some. I knew it would be pretty straight forward finding a great load with AR Comp. Its just that way, but damn hard to find.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
AR Comp should be great. PP2000 or similar should work great too.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll keep my eye out for that one too. Thanks buddy!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 42 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.