Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ward Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm thinning the heard to a count that's probably below Campfire standards but I have travels to finance while I can still walk. Several will be lever guns that'll be listed in the classifieds one by one.

So, what size shipping boxes do you normally use? I need to deal with folks at all the shipping options that aren't real friendly about guns.

Thanks in advance for your guidance. Ward

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Ward,

Probably won't be able to help you much. I ship quite a few rifles, and have plenty shipped to me as well. Consequently the rafters of my garage are full of all sorts of rifle boxes, and I usually can find one that fits, sometimes even the factory box!

If I'm shipping more expensive rifles I buy a low-price plastic travel case. It's cheap insurance.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not MD but here is my suggestion - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flambeau...-50-5-Inches-Long/969413734?athbdg=L1600

Save the cardboard box they come in and put it over the case when you ship it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drover
Not MD but here is my suggestion - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flambeau...-50-5-Inches-Long/969413734?athbdg=L1600

drover

This works good and the box is oversized to allow for some padding.

Amazon has them and priced right

Last edited by DANNYL; 05/14/22.
Ward Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Drover, thanks but I live in a land of lunatics. Took a rifle to the post office last year to ship to my gunsmith in a Plano case with the outer cardboard box. Somewhere on that box it said something about 'rifle case' and the post office den mother brought out her rule book to tell me that nowhere could it say I was shipping a firearm. Went out to the truck and blacked out every bit of writing on the box with a sharpie. Went back in and was told to leave because I'd already heard the rules. Another post office in town had no problem shipping the rifle but it makes me cautious. I can always show them the rules but it doesn't mean they'll follow them.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

drover

Great idea and an excellent option. I never would have thought about putting the box back on it. Shipping a gun is a pain in the but, this would be the way to do it. I bought an old, much nicer hard case on the Facebook marketplace for $10 and tape it shut. I used it to ship a rifle to NULA. The downside was the size and weight increased the cost to $70 to ship from the normal $40

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Ward
Drover, thanks but I live in a land of lunatics. Took a rifle to the post office last year to ship to my gunsmith in a Plano case with the outer cardboard box. Somewhere on that box it said something about 'rifle case' and the post office den mother brought out her rule book to tell me that nowhere could it say I was shipping a firearm. Went out to the truck and blacked out every bit of writing on the box with a sharpie. Went back in and was told to leave because I'd already heard the rules. Another post office in town had no problem shipping the rifle but it makes me cautious. I can always show them the rules but it doesn't mean they'll follow them.

I always wrap mine in paper so its a bit more disguised. It eliminates the problems that you mention.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer to put them in soft case, inside a box inside another box.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

drover

At our local Walmarts they sell these but they no longer come in boxes. Maybe I need to be ordering them online to get the box.
As for the writing referring to anything about a gun, I cover it with duct tape or Priority Mail stickers that come on a big roll free.

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Ward

Your local P.O. people obviously don't know their own rules. One of the postmasters in our little local town also did not, and I had some difficulty for a little while until I pointed that out--and told her I'd report her if she didn't understand them. That solved that particular problem.

Among other things, she used to ask if "the gun was broke down"--whatever that means. There is no such requirement in either the USPS or BATFE regulations, and I have had my own FFL for 30-some years, so knew what I was talking about.

The conversation was recorded on the security camera in the P.O., and evidently it solved the problem. She retired around a decade ago, and the other employees since have known the rules.

Have also found that asking to talk to a supervisor, whether at USPS or when traveling with firearms by airlines, often solves a lot of problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I put them in a cheap hard case, then in the cardboard box the cheap case came in. I tape the hell out of it too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Link to USPS shipping regulations - https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm#ep324856

note item C - 432 Mailability
432.1 General

No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is always interesting, since the mailing address of many companies includes the words "gun" or "firearm." Have yet to experience a rejection from USPS for that reason.

Have also mailed a bunch of rifles or shotguns in a plastic case with the cardboard sleeve clearly stating it was a "gun" or "rifle" case--which does NOT necessarily mean the contents are a firearm.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.