Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Get the brain out and the lining in the cavity then take it to a car wash and power wash it carefully to get the meat off.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few years ago I killed this 400" Caribou in Quebec. I had flown out of and back to Denver. I knew that those antlers would make B&C so I didn't split them. Then when I drove home to Montana there was no way the rack would fit inside my Subaru, so I strapped it on the roof. On my trip home, I got a lot of thumbs up, and a few people at gas stations asked if they could take a picture of it.

A couple of months later, I returned to Denver and ended up driving a new Subaru home. Just a couple of miles onto I-15, and with only 58 miles on my odometer, I was in a middle lane of that 8-lane speedway, a wood block fell off of a 18-wheel flatbed and hit just behind my windshield rear view mirror. It shattered the windshield, knocked the mirror off the glass, and put a dent in the roof just above the mirror. If I would have had those Caribou horns on top of my car that day, that block of wood would have shattered them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The republic of Kalifornia has had the no CWD regulations for several years - we have always come back with animals - they stopped us & asked the right questions only once. I try to put antlers inside the truck cap out of sight. If we get something worth mounting we have it done in Colorado. Some guys have 1 day European mounting done.

Odds are you won’t have any issues at all. On the other hand it would be a huge PITA to have those issues to deal with if it could be easily avoided.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would strongly recommend looking at the regulations for each state you will need to pass through. The CWD-related regulations have been changing frequently, and sometimes annually. Worse, some have been changing even during the season.

A couple years ago my NY nephew came out to hunt WY. He found out while he was here that NY state CWD regulations had changed after he left there. The WY season opened prior to the NY opener, and NY wanted to have new regs in before the NY season opened. Therefore, just before he was to go home with a head, we had to scramble to meet the new regulations. His head had to be fully cleaned of all brain and flesh. Pretty much all states now are requiring only boned meat cross state lines.

In WY, most recently, if an animal is killed in a CWD unit, you pretty much need to bone it at the kill area and leave skeletal material where it was killed, so you are not even supposed to transport skeletal parts inside the state from a CWD area.

Each state is a bit different. Some states prohibit brain, spinal cord, bones leaving the state, others prohibit such parts entering the state. A few appear to only allow cleaned skullplates to travel - no full skulls for Euro mounts. It is best to do the homework and plan accordingly.

Also echo the recommendation that if you get something big enough you can't get it inside the vehicle that you never leave it out where it can be stolen, especially overnight, because that could be very likely in some places. Would certainly take the shine off a hunt. Seems like you should be able to make them fit, but as someone else noted, soft duffels and smaller containers will probably make packing stuff around them easier. You could also consider shipping some gear home once you don't need it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It would be helpful if the states could come up with a uniform set of regulations. Note that I said STATES, not federal. We sure don't need the feds messing with it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rock Chuck. Sound advice and exactly was I was thinking about doing once the hunt got closer. I might book mark each states regs that I am going through too and maybe print them off.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Just make sure you tie them down good when carrying them on the outside of a vehicle or trailer. In the 90's on the way home from Idaho, we saw a set of elk antlers from a really big bull laying on the shoulder of I-80 in Ohio. Can't imagine explaining to everyone they called home and told about the kill, and no antlers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It would be helpful if the states could come up with a uniform set of regulations. Note that I said STATES, not federal. We sure don't need the feds messing with it.

Rockchuck, trying to imagine ALL states agreeing on anything...It sure would be nice though.

Originally Posted by Bluecat1
Just make sure you tie them down good when carrying them on the outside of a vehicle or trailer. In the 90's on the way home from Idaho, we saw a set of elk antlers from a really big bull laying on the shoulder of I-80 in Ohio. Can't imagine explaining to everyone they called home and told about the kill, and no antlers.

Add plenty of paracord to the packing list, add "making antlers well secured" to checklist for travel. (Not a bad idea to check around your vehicle when packing up - we once found a nice pair of hunting boots left on a retaining wall at a motel. "Oops, what happened to my boots?" And a few useful items hanging in trees around camping spots.)

Best of luck on the hunt, hope you get one too big to fit inside anything.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't know if it's legal but I see trucks from WA state blowing thru I-90 in N. Idaho with deer and elk head and sometimes who animals from Montana. I see it in pickups and trucks pulling atv/utility trailers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heres my 320-330 type 6x7 that would not fit in my camper shell on my Tacoma with a layer of coolers in the bed. He was abnormally wide though I believe, 47" inside. Had to ride from CO to AL like this, which was fine with me. We did stop in Trinidad before leaving Colorao and skull capped it so we didn't break any transportation rules crossing state lines. Ran into Wal-Market to buy a hacksaw. Good times! laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That is awesome

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Trim with knives. Then hit the car wash

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on the volume of the accompanying gear. Once tried repacking my Toyota Landcruiser and could still not fit the hardware inside. Tied it to the hood and made a dawn run into town. That was not an interstate run, however, and present rules here (Oregon) are demanding an extremely thorough skull cleaning probably at least up to a boil.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/07/22.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
345” 6x6 rode all the way from NM to GA just like this.

He stayed in the hotel room with us for two nights. Sweet wife thought I was crazy. 😏

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Does this apply to pronghorns? I wouldn’t think so.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by LBP

Do everything you can to clean a pronghorn skull thoroughly if you plan to have it inside your vehicle. I left mine a little too long and I had the most Godawful stench in my truck you’ve ever seen.

700 miles left to get back home. Windows rolled down

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LBP

Pronghorns are not susceptible to CWD so transportation is not an issue.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by LBP

Pronghorns are not susceptible to CWD so transportation is not an issue.

That’s what I figured.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From experience, wrap the elk rack and/or skull in double or triple heavy duty garbage bags. Then parachute cord
and trailer ties to top-or inside.
Protects rack a 4-runner top. Protects U and rack and SUV.

(I have 2 4-runners).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by LBP

Do everything you can to clean a pronghorn skull thoroughly if you plan to have it inside your vehicle. I left mine a little too long and I had the most Godawful stench in my truck you’ve ever seen.

700 miles left to get back home. Windows rolled down

It must have been quite a stench to have seen it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 13 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.