Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I usually use cable stakes but on occasion use other types of anchors also. Sometimes I use snare cable fastened to a sapling.

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
I usually use cable stakes but on occasion use other types of anchors also. Sometimes I use snare cable fastened to a sapling.

This.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I attach the trap chain to a 1in section of metal pipe which is just slipped over the tee post. That way they can go round and round. Best invention ever for taking them out but there must be 2000/square mile in SE Oklahoma.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I anchor mine with my homemade coyote drags. Let them drag to the nearest tall grass and that's where you will find them. It doesn't take much to stop a coon.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
lucky charms work great
sprinkle a few around the trap to tease them and a bunch inside
they wont attract skunks and being small they have to work the set longer

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I also use marshmallows and cat food. It helps to squirt a little fish oil around the trap to have a larger scent cone.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mice can rob them no problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have four set out right now, even though trapping season is over. Two coons and a possum in the past few days. I am baiting with dry cat food and a marshmellow if I think about it. If I don't keep them set out here around the premises, I can't have sweet corn or chickens.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In my opinion the Raccoon is the worst of the common varmints. Coyotes are bad but are nowhere near as numerous.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I use what I call a coon cuff trap. I dont know who makes it though. I have two of them out right now and I caught 3 coons this week. I will likely trap 20 of them by fall. I should just trap then year round instead of just in the summer. I wont waste my time skinning them , however if I do trap them in the late fall, and I get a real good coon, I might skin it. Are goos coons even worth $10?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ihookem
I use what I call a coon cuff trap. I dont know who makes it though. I have two of them out right now and I caught 3 coons this week. I will likely trap 20 of them by fall. I should just trap then year round instead of just in the summer. I wont waste my time skinning them , however if I do trap them in the late fall, and I get a real good coon, I might skin it. Are goos coons even worth $10?

Nope!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I am fond of the Push/Pull Z-trap DPCC.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The soft baits seem to work but they can be a hassle to get in place.

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Ztrap+Dog+Proof+Trap

I double wrap tie wire to a feeder leg or t-post.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They certainly will catch cats and skunks, depending on bait, but it’s been the only thing I’ve found that will actually put a dent in the coon population. We’ve been catching dozens a year.

Just wish the dang mink would reach in once in a while…..

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
They work well for me.I usually use some of the kids sweet smelling candy in the trap and bait around it with dry cat food.Seems to cut down on the skunks and possums.Deer corn works fine around feeders.

Last edited by Lslite; 01/14/23.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Smallest, cheapest dog or cat food with a generous spray of liquid smoke. Brings them in. I only fill to the top of the catch lever. Most I catch have both paws in the trap.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’d like to find bait that doesn’t attract ants.

That’s problem i have with my mix. The sweet brings in the ants.

Use Diatomaceous Earth around the base of the trap to keep ants away. It's like spreading broken glass on your kitchen floor in front of the fridge. Sometimes you can find it in the garden centers and it includes a small plastic bellows duster to apply it.

Also, agree on the cable idea to secure it, although I sometimes use cable stakes where there isn't a good anchor point. I like the idea of a pipe section to go over a t-post and will rig a few of those up.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KB64
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’d like to find bait that doesn’t attract ants.

That’s problem i have with my mix. The sweet brings in the ants.

Use Diatomaceous Earth around the base of the trap to keep ants away. It's like spreading broken glass on your kitchen floor in front of the fridge. Sometimes you can find it in the garden centers and it includes a small plastic bellows duster to apply it.

Also, agree on the cable idea to secure it, although I sometimes use cable stakes where there isn't a good anchor point. I like the idea of a pipe section to go over a t-post and will rig a few of those up.
Amazon sells it.

Last edited by DouginLa; 01/23/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
First coon that I've caught with both hands in the trap.

Life is good live it while you can.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Caught a big possum in mine this morning.I guess he beat the coons to it.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use dog food for bait and the local coons like it well enough. I use a concrete block with about 4 feet of light chain looped through it so they can drag it a little ways. The bad part of coons and dog proofs is that a big old boar coon will sometimes be so pissed off when you show up that he's coming for a piece of you when you get within 40-50 feet and I have had one damn near get his hand ripped off he wanted a piece of me so bad. Hitting the end of the chain that hard one more time might have done it. Scared me when I saw how close he'd come.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.