Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by TheKid
"They’re a decent and usually accurate rifle for the guy who wants to buy a rifle, mount a scope, and hunt deer a week or two a year. They aren’t very user friendly if you like to tinker and modify your rifles compared to other makes. The triggers aren’t usually very adjustable, they may or may not be rebarrel candidates and the only way to find out it to potentially ruin the action attempting to pull the barrel, and stock options are slim aftermarket wise. The sleeved bolt, tiny extractor mortis, and Rube Goldberg trigger and safety in aluminum housing have all been known to give issues in rough conditions. I’m also not wild about the magazine setup."

Pretty well sums it up.

This all sounds a bit like WAA...WAA to me.
I have many different makes of factory and custom rifles, the A-Bolt is a great factory rifle. the trigger is easily tweaked with testing a few springs. been shooting one for decades with no issues and I kinda like the magazine, it is just different in a non-tactical way that is out with the tacticool crowd

BP-B6

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by TheKid
"They’re a decent and usually accurate rifle for the guy who wants to buy a rifle, mount a scope, and hunt deer a week or two a year. They aren’t very user friendly if you like to tinker and modify your rifles compared to other makes. The triggers aren’t usually very adjustable, they may or may not be rebarrel candidates and the only way to find out it to potentially ruin the action attempting to pull the barrel, and stock options are slim aftermarket wise. The sleeved bolt, tiny extractor mortis, and Rube Goldberg trigger and safety in aluminum housing have all been known to give issues in rough conditions. I’m also not wild about the magazine setup."

Pretty well sums it up.

This all sounds a bit like WAA...WAA to me.
I have many different makes of factory and custom rifles, the A-Bolt is a great factory rifle. the trigger is easily tweaked with testing a few springs. been shooting one for decades with no issues and I kinda like the magazine, it is just different in a non-tactical way that is out with the tacticool crowd

We all have different tastes. I didn't particularly care for mine, functionally or aesthetically. Shot well enough, though.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 05/15/22.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have a 7-08 Micro I inherited from my brother. Love 150 Nosler BT’s . Staying until I pass.

GreggH

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Quite awhile back one of the gun heads here mentioned that Browning made a limited run of Xbolts in 358 WIN. I wouldnt mind having one of those, but he said they are few and far between. I believe Grice gun shop in PENN sold them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad is NOT a rifle guy.

He loves bird hunting and shotguns.

Owns exactly ONE centerfire rifle for deer. Its a Browning ABolt II hunter in .270 with the matte walnut and matte finish on the metal. Has a Bushnell 3200 3x-9x on it. Hes the guy that buys a box of ammo, uses 3 to verify zero in october then kills 1 or 2 deer every year.

For years he shot Federal Blue box 130gr softpoints and killed a lot of deer.

Had some shoulder issues and was hating shooting even a few shots.

I found a couple of boxes of Hornady Lite I think its a 120gr SST at about 257bob velocity.

Damn rifle puts three into a dime at 100yds and the deer dont seem to know its a reduced load

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 284win and a 270win, both are good carry rifles and accurate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my 270wsm ABII Ti action. The only problem I've had is the duratouch coating turned into a sticky mess.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whiptail
I like my 270wsm ABII Ti action. The only problem I've had is the duratouch coating turned into a sticky mess.

They'll replace that for you.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one of the original A-bolts that came with the Boss system back in the early 90's. A Medallion 7mm rem mag. I'm 50 and its still the queen of my safe however that beautiful wood stock does have a few nicks and scratches due to where i hunt. My bolt even to this day is very slick similar to my tikkas. Was very accurate with the factory setting and never really thought about playing around with the Boss system because it was so accurate. I've taken the Boss off and put the CR Boss on just because it was so damn loud. I still use it from time to time, but now when I go, I grab my Tikka 308 because its much shorter barrel makes it easy to handle in my tower stands.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I owned one of the early models, it was by far the most accurate rifle i ever owned. I sold it in a fit of stupidity and have regretted it ever since . Tried to by it back from the guy but he just laughed ..

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had one back in the 90's sometime. Stainless Stalker. The 'stainless" started getting stains on it just sitting in the cabinet, even though I kept it oiled. Sent it back to Browning and they media blasted it. Gun shot good, but that soured me on it and I sold it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an A-bolt, CZ 550 and Rem 700. Love them all but the A-bolt has somethings that make it my favorite.
Likes- diskiles
I love the detachable mag system. It can't fall out. I found I did have bend the tab on it to get it snap more firmly into the floorplate to my liking but I did it with my hands in a few seconds.
Trigger- I bought a set of two Wolf springs. Swapped out for the one I wanted and in less than a minute had a magnificent crisp, light trigger. Perfect.
Love the bolt throw and angled bolt. Makes other rifles feel clunky. Feeds slick and very fast.

It is lightweight. I bought a Slogan rifle sling that gives when you shoulder the rifle and used SK rings system so it looks very sleek. Mounted a light VX3 on it.
GREAT rig in my opinion.

Such a pleasure to carry.
No I do not use it in salty environment or use wd-40 on my trigger or bolt.

DISlike- while I loved the feel and slenderness of the original synthetic stock but that thing kicked out of all proportion to caliber. I also found it was hyper sensitive to where you rested the stock when shooting. I replaced it with a Bell and Carlson and the thing became a much softer and incredibly accurate and consistent shooter.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/18/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by Whiptail

They'll replace that for you.

I know. I contacted them but I had to send it for undetermined amount of time and they would replace the stock which I didn't want because my B&C doesn't have the aluminum bedding block.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a lefty 270 A Bolt Stainless Stalker with a BOSS and a Nikon 3-9. It was my first centerfire rifle. It was the gun I used for everything from Prairie dogs to Elk. I would also carry it while antler hunting and varmint calling. Over the past 30 years it has become so familiar to me that it feels so comfortable and I’m forever confident in it. It’s the one gun I find I use on my hunts. I tend to choose it over my customs.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have had mine for 27y bought it new

Shoots 1/2-3/4” groups

My goto, never thought much about it except grab it and go

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have an A-Bolt 2 stainless White Gold Medallion in 6.5x55 Swede that I bedded into a McMillan Sako Classic Edge stock (a match made in heaven). I topped it with a Meopta Meopro fixed 6x with a German #4 reticle. It carries and handles like a dream, shoots like a laser beam and kills like the hammer of Thor! RJ

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by rj308; 05/19/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On this same topic, like I mentioned, my A-bolt stock does have some scars, not bad, but it does. Does anyone make a replacement stock for the A-bolt II? I would consider getting one but keeping the original as well. Hell I even had my bolt engraved in script with my name back when I was around 15-16 when it was offered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bell & Carlson offered stocks for the A-Bolt.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rj308
I have an A-Bolt 2 stainless White Gold Medallion in 6.5x55 Swede that I bedded into a McMillan Sako Classic Edge stock (a match made in heaven). I topped it with a Meopta Meopro fixed 6x with a German #4 reticle. It carries and handles like a dream, shoots like a laser beam and kills like the hammer of Thor! RJ

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

RJ how long ago did you get the edge stock?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If memory serves me correctly, it was 2012. RJ

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 15 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.