Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you really don’t trust your phone or iPads built in gps, snag a Garmin Glo 2. Costs about $100 and weighs dang near nothing.

I can tell you from experience that it’s a waste of money though as my iPhone and Gaia is usually under 15 feet accuracy.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got a new lower end Iphone last week. I find that OnX is accurate to about 10'. It's not as good as my Garmin Montana but if I can't find it within 10', I'm not likely to find it at all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025
- AND - this is a particular problem in Utah, although he hasn't yet told me why Utah.

Wouldn't be in the Unita Basin south of Ballard, UT would it?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by NVhntr
One of these might be an option. A buddy was using one of the ELF antennas on his iPad on a deer hunt a few years back and it seemed to work pretty well.

External GPS antennas

I use an IPad flying small planes as does my buddy. We both use the Bad Elf GPS Pro as the GOS receiver to geed our IPads. Flew across the US and back with it and never lost lock.

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_O_M
- AND - this is a particular problem in Utah, although he hasn't yet told me why Utah.

Wouldn't be in the Unita Basin south of Ballard, UT would it?

I first noticed trouble around Bryan Head, UT, and then between Vegas, Great Basin Range National Monument and Great Basin NP.

One day, in the National Monument, for lack of any other ideas, I put the iPad and the iPhone in Airplane Mode. It seemed counterintuitive, since I was well outside of any cell phone tower and I wouldn't have been getting any signals to interfere with anything. I also turned off Wi-Fi. Ditto, no signals anyway. (They were plugged into the dash, so I wasn't concerned about battery usage.)

And both devices settled down. Why, I don't know. They're working okay with Gaia now, as long as I turn off both of those functions first.

My Google and YouTube searches had not turned this up as a possible solution.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Within the past few months, I bought an iPad mini 5 with GPS and paid for a subscription to GaiaGPS. One reason I went with this is that one of my nephews is a former Navy Seal with a specialty in communications and he uses it on his iPhone. (He was the biggest member of his team, so guess who got picked to hump the radio?)

Well, I should have questioned him a little more closely, and now that I've lived with the system for a while, I'm discovering the downside of civilian (versus military) grade equipment.

I live in Southern Nevada and a few months ago, it was working brilliantly - in Southern Nevada. Well, now, with two software upgrades under my belt, I've taken the iPad to Eastern Nevada (Great Basin NP) and into Utah, and damn, I'm having a lot of trouble maintaining GPS lock.

I didn't have trouble before, and now I am. And now, my Seal nephew is telling me that he sometimes has trouble maintaining lock on his iPhone and - AND - this is a particular problem in Utah, although he hasn't yet told me why Utah.

Well nobody on YouTube has mentioned this. And nobody on GaiaGPS users forum is saying it either.

So, here's where I want to learn more:

1. How good is my GPS hardware in the iPad mini? Is it only just acceptable for the common, run-of-the-mill customer? Or is it a really good piece of gear?

2. Is there anything I can do to reduce interference or difficulty within the iPad mini?

3. IF the GPS hardware in the iPad mini is the weak link here, is it possible to find a better quality aftermarket GPS unit that can be slaved to it?

Your phone and I pad are the problem. I have never had an issue with my Oregon 550 or similar model GPS systems. My hunting buddy and I have had to pick up stupid [bleep] out in the wilderness because their phone died or they "lost service". Buy a real GPS and your problems will go away. I use mine in Oregon, Nevada, utah and recently Wyoming and South Dakota. Like I said, no issues.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Your phone and I pad are the problem.

I'll let my nephew, the former SEAL, know. He was the communications guy on his team, but he and his SEAL buddies don't know everything. (wink)

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
They make gps antennas that plug into USB ports. Fairly inexpensive. I used one on my boat for a spell worked pretty good, it never lost its fix in the time I used it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a garmin glo2 gps receiver with a WiFi only iPad, works perfectly with Gaia. Little Velcro tape stuck to the dash, to hold the garmin glo2.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/645104

Sean
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Consumer GPS signals are varied randomly on purpose so that idiot can’t fly a missle someplace using it.. so the elevation is typically more off.

If you want you “track” on a GPS and zoom in you can see it moving over time as you stand still.

If the GPS has an accelerator sensor I can tell if it’s not moving and it will start to average out where you are at, and a lot of them do that anyway… so it gets more accurate over time.

Differential GPS listens to a GPS at a known location that sends the current GPS’s signals “skewed” direction and distance from the know distance so other mobile GPS’s can auto correct their location.

Please don’t listen to this guy- he’s spewing information that hasn’t been correct in over 20 years.

OP: it’s your receiver.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 16penny, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.