Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hello Fellows: I thought you old M70 men might get a kick out of this. I just returned from a Kodiak Island brown bear hunt. Like my other Alaskan hunts, I carried a pre-64. This time a .375. This rifle has a all original barrelled action in a different factory high comb stock with a Decelerator Pad on it. I was with my son who is a licensed guide. I was able to take a beautiful boar at right around only 50 yards. One shot using 270 gr. Barnes TSX with 70grs. of 4064. Leupold 1.5-5x. Vintage weaver mounts and strap rings. Quite old school that would make the modern fellers just shake their heads I'm sure. I'd post a picture if I knew how but have tried unsuccessfully in the past.

As you all know, these .375s are heavy. This set-up is right around 10# loaded. My son uses a custom post 64 CRF M70 .375 with a very light barrel, but it sure carries nicely. Thru-out the hunt, my son teased with me about my (fat) rifle: he calls it Betty Lou. Says Betty just eats junk food all the time and gets fat. But I like heavier rifles for steady holding. When I laid betty over the pack while the bear was moving closer and closer it was just rock steady.

So don't think for a moment those old 70s can't get it done: even the old .375s on Kodiak Island. Just like Pinnell and Talifson's old .375s.

The Lord has blessed me a bunch for having this opportunity with my Son.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
THAT'S AWESOME! Congrats

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Holy smokes! That’s great stuff RG.

If you wanna PM I’ll pass you my email or cell and I’ll post the pictures for you.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cool cool cool

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on the bear! If one draws a Kodiak bear tag. I think it should be mandatory you use a 375 H&H 😁. I used a stainless classic in a 375H&H for my Kodiak bear hunt, I opted for 300gr TSX using biggame powder.

Last edited by 79S; 05/09/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Very cool.
👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations. Using post image is pretty easy.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Having recently joined the ranks of Pre-64 Winchester owners with 6 examples, this post and the story makes me very, very proud I did. Congrats to you on the Kodiak. Thank you for also acknowledging the Lord blessing you with such a wonderful opportunity with your son.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool. I hope someone posts some pictures for you. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I've had a couple pre 64 model 70 375's. One I sold to gunner and he took it to Africa and another one a cool transition rifle that I sold to a guy that also took his to Africa. Taking an Alaskan brown bear would be tops with a pre 64 375 H&H. Now I'll patiently wait for some pictures!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ruffedgrouse: Great news your success and using such a "classic" Rifle in such a "classic" caliber!
And that one shot kill deserves a bravo as well.
BRAVO!
I have been to Kodiak Island twice (fishing for giant Salmon and touring) - it is a strange (different?) place.
In our tourings we did come across some of these giants tracks in the snow but we never saw one - lots of Mt. Goats and Fox and Deer though - even saw some Buffalo there and some Elk on nearby Afognak Island.
Every few years I dream of Hunting a "Kodiak" with one of my pre-64 Winchester Model 70's in 375 H&H Magnum but the "collector" in me wakes me up and chastises me for even thinking about using one of these mint perfect 375's on a Hunt in that harsh climate/terrain.
Thanks for sharing and many happy returns of the day.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used 70 grains of IMR 4064 over a 260 grain Nosler Partition with Fed 215 Primer in my pre 64 Win 70 375 H&H over in Africa. It talked just as loud as your's did! the 260 -270 grain premium bullet offerings and 70 grains of IMR 4064 is a winner! Nice job!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Congrats on what sounds like a wonderful hunt with the classic bear gun. Looking forward to pictures!

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Just saw this...well done, Dan!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
thank you all who have sent congrats. Today I was thinking that I might give my perspective on using this classic blued/wood stock on Kodiak and what I do to prepare the gun for that environment: first, I guess I'm rather tight: I fully understand the rational of putting a fiberglass stock on for such use. But honestly guys, I don't think it is necessary if the prep is done adequately. I think the cost of a McMillan is too high for me. And of course, the pre-64s I've used in Alaska are not collectables. The .300 has been re-barrelled and the stock, although factory, is not original to the rifle.

SO, I put multiple coats of finish everywhere INSIDE the stock. ALL metal surfaces under the stock are coated with something I trust, such a Corrosion X or RIG. For this hunt, the barrel all around the forend was taped with electrical tape so no water could get in the barrel channel. And of course the muzzle was taped shut as well. Each night I ran a bore snake thru the barrel. In several hunts with the .300 and now with the .375, I have not seen a single sign of water or moisture inside the stock and no perceiveable warpage. I do find VERY small STARTS of rust in a few places, but nothing that cannot be cleaned up in the field very easily.

So my perspective is that the factory stocks can be used with complete confidence as well as the metal as well IF properly prepared. I've hunted in other parts of the country and on one horseback hunt with my 70s, but nothing I've personally been in can compare with Alaska for wetness.

I just thought this experience just might be helpful to someone considering whether a stock replacement is a MUST. Just my experience.

Dan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
thank you all who have sent congrats. Today I was thinking that I might give my perspective on using this classic blued/wood stock on Kodiak and what I do to prepare the gun for that environment: first, I guess I'm rather tight: I fully understand the rational of putting a fiberglass stock on for such use. But honestly guys, I don't think it is necessary if the prep is done adequately. I think the cost of a McMillan is too high for me. And of course, the pre-64s I've used in Alaska are not collectables. The .300 has been re-barrelled and the stock, although factory, is not original to the rifle.

SO, I put multiple coats of finish everywhere INSIDE the stock. ALL metal surfaces under the stock are coated with something I trust, such a Corrosion X or RIG. For this hunt, the barrel all around the forend was taped with electrical tape so no water could get in the barrel channel. And of course the muzzle was taped shut as well. Each night I ran a bore snake thru the barrel. In several hunts with the .300 and now with the .375, I have not seen a single sign of water or moisture inside the stock and no perceiveable warpage. I do find VERY small STARTS of rust in a few places, but nothing that cannot be cleaned up in the field very easily.

So my perspective is that the factory stocks can be used with complete confidence as well as the metal as well IF properly prepared. I've hunted in other parts of the country and on one horseback hunt with my 70s, but nothing I've personally been in can compare with Alaska for wetness.

I just thought this experience just might be helpful to someone considering whether a stock replacement is a MUST. Just my experience.

Dan
Good stuff Dan. While it is definitely not a "must", it eases some of the pressure off of having to greatly care for a stock out in the field. While I do not hunt AK, I can tell you that in Oregon, it gets pretty wet as well. No where near as bad as AK, so for me I'd want a Mcmillan on board while I left the primo (hopefully) stock at home..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The way I look at it is you spend a lot of time sitting and looking at your rifle. I would much rather look at a nice piece of walnut than asphalt or painted asphalt. Yeah coat the metal with RIG and either wax or spray lemon pledge on the wood. I like a well worn, hunted with gun!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Just got back into town Dan, sorry about the delay getting your pictures up.

Helluva bear! Congrats on the hunt. Awesome pictures.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool pics. Great job on getting your bear and doing it with a classic rifle.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Yep-and to get to experience it with your guide-son makes it all the more special. That had to be worth waiting for!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a great story.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

586 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,539
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.