Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
About to get one of these with the MOAR reticle. Which is more useful on this scope, side focus or the illuminated reticle?

I think I’d prefer the side focus. (It is discontinued, but I have located one). I don’t have illumination on any other hunting scopes and don’t feel like I’m missing anything when hunting in the woods. However, most of them have less busy reticles than the MOAR.

What say you?

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have two with illumination and one with the parallax adjustment. I bought the side focus one specifically for a 22, if not for that I’d stick with the illumination.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've owned multiple of them both ways. I'd take lit for big game hands down. For a rimfire or air rifle maybe not. I don't see parallax correction as a necessity for field shots at big game with a scope that tops out at 10x or so.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
With the MOAR you want lit. It’s pretty thin in low light.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
With the MOAR you want lit. It’s pretty thin in low light.

I'd agree with this assessment. If it's for big game and conditions might be dim, the lit MOAR is the way to go.

That being stated, I can pass along that while the MOAR in the SHV 3-10 does look thin and like it wouldn't stand out enough, I've never had an instance in which I couldn't use it without being lit. I'd say the same about other NF's I have and have used.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think it depends on the conditions where you hunt. In western Washington, I'd take illumination over side focus every time.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have both the SHV 3-10 with the Plex with parallax adjustment and illuminated MOAR. I thought the MOAR might be too thin based on reviews, but I don't find it bad at all. Completely usable for hunting and the illumination makes it that much better. Planning on using it this year without worry.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Appreciate the feedback. I wish I could find one local to look through to get a better feel for the reticle. I hunt some woods where it gets dark early, and some clear-cuts that are pretty wide open. Looking at pics, I thought it looked heavy enough that losing it early wouldn’t be much of an issue for me, even without illumination, thus my opinion on side focus being more beneficial. Most of the feedback seems to disagree with that.

Last edited by drano 25; 05/16/22.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by drano 25
Appreciate the feedback. I wish I could find one local to look through to get a better feel for the reticle. I hunt some woods where it gets dark early, and some clear-cuts that are pretty wide open. Looking at pics, I thought it looked heavy enough that losing it early wouldn’t be much of an issue for me, even without illumination, thus my opinion on side focus being mor beneficial. Most of the feedback seems to disagree with that.

I've owned both. I'll take the illum in a heartbeat. Rarely found myself using the parallax knob, yet I regularly use the illumination.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 05/16/22.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have both. Feel there is equal value to both depending on the situation. With that said I’ve never been hunting and wished I had one over the other. If you are close to Southeastern Ohio you are welcome to try mine out.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.