Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
How's the ejection angle on defiance tenacity and anti actions. Can you mount a scope low and still eject cases without bouncing them off your windage knob and back into the action. Defiance say they should work but I look at any custom action with an m16 style extractor with suspicion.

I've been fighting crappy ejection angles with custom actions since my first stiller predators and tac 30aw actions over 15 years ago. I'd prefer to be able to use a custom but theist few years I've gone back to building on Remington 700s because they can at least eject a case without bouncing it off my windage turret.

I like the bighorn origins ejection but prefer more open top actions on my hunting rifles that I use bdl style floorplates on.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 05/16/22.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been using a long action anTi (280AI) and a medium/700 anTi (.308) with 20 MOA rail and low rings (.82 and whatever APA's are..slightly lower than .82) and haven't had any problems. The largest windage turret I've been using on those two is a S&B PMII, which isn't a huge knob. I've run a fair amount of dummy rounds through both of them along with shooting/hunting. I don't eject that may live rounds hunting and shooting but of all the dummy rounds I can't recall a single round hitting anything.

It's hard to put a scope much lower on the anTi actions if you're going to use caps on the scope. The bolt handle clearance has been a bigger issue for me than barrel clearance. Using 1" scopes with thinner eyepieces may allow lower mounting and Talley rings will allow you to mount lower.

It will probably be Thursday night before I will have time to do it but I can swap the scope out on each with a 10x SWFA and test ejection with dummy rounds. That's likely the biggest windage knob. I think I've got a few others I can throw on and test as well.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i dont have one but maybe talk to borden actions about their hook extractor that they use in their actions

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Deviant Hunter and an anTi, both 700 SA length, and both chambered in 6.5PRC. Have yet to have an ejected case (empty) hit the windage turret of the either scope. That said, both rifles have Swaro Z5i3.5-18x44s mounted in Leupold Backcountry rings. - Lows on the Deviant Hunter; Med on the anTi. As JCMCUBIC pointed out bolt handle clearance on the anTi (at least) is more of an issue.

FWIW, I concur with Burleyboy on the more open action of the Defiance vs the Bighorn (Zermatt) Origin. Had an Origin action and sent it down the road in favor of the Devaint Hunter.

On another note, the Tenacity seems to be held in pretty high regard amongst the PRS crowd. I suspect that if there were issues with ejected cases hitting the elevation turret, this is where they'd likely show up, given the turret size on most of the scopes in use on the PRS circuit.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm just going to have to give another defiance a try it's been several years since I used one but those guys have great service and actually answer their phones. I just want a good custom action with a more open top for top loading, a flat ejection angle, a longer bdl mag box option. Even though wyatts boxes typically suck in my opinion I've figured out a few with some work and they've allowed me that bit more length I'm looking for in a bdl style box.

The gunwerks action actually checks a lot of boxes I'm just not big on their thread choice even though it likely creates a good connection. Their action looks like a solid practical hunting action that was designed by people that use them.

I talked with Aaron Davidson maybe 10 years ago about my problems with ejection angles on stiller actions at the time. I think he told me a helpful hint of grinding down a bit of the upper corner of the extractor which helped. He said then that if they ever build their own actions they'd address the ejection angle. It looks like they did.

The defiance definitely has appeal now that their consistency is to where people can offer profits that headspace correctly. It would be huge to order a prechambered barrel that headspaces up correctly on the shoulder.

I need to build me a do it all 28 nosler that's shorter and more practical than my christensen elr. Thinking an 8 or 8.5 twist #4 or fluted #5 brux at 23".

Bb

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw this thread again this morning....sorry I forgot to come back and update.

I swapped out the mounted scopes with a 10x SWFA and tested ejection in a medium (700 short) action and a long action. Both had plenty of clearance.the ejection angle looked very low. I put my hand up to stop a few before release and they had a lot of room. The short action was a .308 with 150 bt's, they had an oal short enough for AICS box loading with room to spare....so they weren't pushing OAL. The long action was a 280AI with 162 amax seated to max length that would chamber without the bullet sticking.

Both had 20 MOA rails and the SWFA was in low .82 rings.

Hope this helps.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, that's helpfully. Thanks

Years ago I tried to build a custom go anywhere do anything traveling rifle in plain old 30-06. I started with a single point trued SS rem 700 action because I was frustrated with custom action ejection angles at the time. Over about 5 years I tried 3 different custom barrels, all top brands, with match reamer or serengetti reamers used and never could get it to shoot well. I did tons of loading, different stocks, different scopes, everything. I even bought a new tikka t3 in 30-06 to test my reloads with. They all shot great in the tikka.

I've since concluded there must be a problem with that trued 700 action. I still want an accurate custom shorter in 30-06 so I'm trying to get up the nerve to try again. I want it bdl style with an open top action that's easy to get my fingers in. Part of the 30-06 choice is for butter smooth feeding, no belt, plenty of room to seat out and 5 down in a bdl.

My 300 wsm stiller predator with #4 fluted 24" brux has served as a go to for a while and is extremely accurate but has some short comings in the ejection angle and only holds 2 down because the wyatts box sucked feed wise so I modified a straight stack 284 box to feed wsm. I'm also about out of mag length for seating out. Going to a LA 30-06 should make functioning better all around. I'm also going to a lighter contour and 22" max length maybe 20" or split it at 21. I'm thinking about an anti with a #2 brux if brux does a #2 in a 30 cal.

Bb

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i think gunworks uses a hook extractor like borden actions on their action to get that low extraction angle

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Years ago I tried to build a custom go anywhere do anything traveling rifle in plain old 30-06. I started with a single point trued SS rem 700 action because I was frustrated with custom action ejection angles at the time. Over about 5 years I tried 3 different custom barrels, all top brands, with match reamer or serengetti reamers used and never could get it to shoot well. I did tons of loading, different stocks, different scopes, everything. I even bought a new tikka t3 in 30-06 to test my reloads with. They all shot great in the tikka.

I've since concluded there must be a problem with that trued 700 action. I still want an accurate custom shorter in 30-06 so I'm trying to get up the nerve to try again. I want it bdl style with an open top action that's easy to get my fingers in. Part of the 30-06 choice is for butter smooth feeding, no belt, plenty of room to seat out and 5 down in a bdl.

My 300 wsm stiller predator with #4 fluted 24" brux has served as a go to for a while and is extremely accurate but has some short comings in the ejection angle and only holds 2 down because the wyatts box sucked feed wise so I modified a straight stack 284 box to feed wsm. I'm also about out of mag length for seating out. Going to a LA 30-06 should make functioning better all around. I'm also going to a lighter contour and 22" max length maybe 20" or split it at 21. I'm thinking about an anti with a #2 brux if brux does a #2 in a 30 cal.

Bb

Especially focusing on the bdl/open top action for ease of accessing the mag box, the Defiaince anTi really shines there. The anTi has a noticeably larger action opening to load cartridges or access the mag box. I'll try to take a side by side pics with a 700 long action later today or get a measurement.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Defiance Anti Action built in 280 Ackley and I had a Defiance Tenacity built in 7mm-08. No issues with deflection off of the windage turret with either Seekins or Vortex lows.

I had a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42mm on both at one point, a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20X50MM and a Leica Magnus 1.8-10x50 on the Tenacity and a Burris Veracity 4-20x50mm on the Anti before settling on a Swarovski Z6 3-18x50 BT on the Anti.

Neither ejected brass into the windage turrets of any of the scopes.

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]
[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Especially focusing on the bdl/open top action for ease of accessing the mag box, the Defiaince anTi really shines there. The anTi has a noticeably larger action opening to load cartridges or access the mag box. I'll try to take a side by side pics with a 700 long action later today or get a measurement.

The anTi long action has "almost" 1/2" longer opening to the rear of the mag box. It's a little short of 1/2". Easy way to see the difference is to see it in a 700 long action stock that I didn't open wider. It can give you a significant amount of extra room to access....if the meathead who owned the stock wasn't to lazy to open it up:

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 29 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.