Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Raised the rate on what I charge clients for my machinery usage by $5 an hour.

Had no choice. Probably won't be at where I was year before last on profit margin at that.

But I'm strictly an Ag Service provider, and probably can't raise rates much more and keep my client base.

If it gets TOO expensive, they'll just "Do without"...

Sad we are in this position. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Meanwhile, fuel is about double, and climbing.

Fùck Joey bidet.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
were i work we fill up the work truck & the welding machine on the way back then add it to the bill . some days it is 75/100 bucks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hire a couple of local farmers to roll and wrap my hay. They both went up on their prices this time. They were charging me $8 a roll to bale, and one went up to $8.50, and the other to $9. The one who wraps it, also went up a dollar a roll. With diesel fuel having doubled in price, I'm shocked they didn't go up more than that.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Inflation like we've never see it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I hire a couple of local farmers to roll and wrap my hay. They both went up on their prices this time. They were charging me $8 a roll to bale, and one went up to $8.50, and the other to $9. The one who wraps it, also went up a dollar a roll. With diesel fuel having doubled in price, I'm shocked they didn't go up more than that.

That bale wrap ain't getting any cheaper either.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I supply a niche market here with small square bales for the horse farms. I raised my prices last year and I see I will again this year, big time.

Last week I got a call from one of the farms wanting more bales and I delivered a load and left my bill. Got a call from lady's husband complaining I charged more than the loads delivered last year. I reminded him the cost to fill up my truck went thru the roof and be prepared for a substantial increase this season because of fuel costs to harvest and deliver hay. He was kind of a jerk about it, probably voted for Biden.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
I supply a niche market here with small square bales for the horse farms. I raised my prices last year and I see I will again this year, big time.

Last week I got a call from one of the farms wanting more bales and I delivered a load and left my bill. Got a call from lady's husband complaining I charged more than the loads delivered last year. I reminded him the cost to fill up my truck went thru the roof and be prepared for a substantial increase this season because of fuel costs to harvest and deliver hay. He was kind of a jerk about it, probably voted for Biden.

A lot of people will become jerks this year. Especially the horsey women folks who have no clue about what hay prices should be and what all effects the price. Usually the ones that buy 4- 6 bales at at time. I felt lucky to get some 3x3's, 735 pounds delivered for $135.The local feed store wants $160. No grass to speak of and I will probably have to buy another four to last until next years,since I am feeding thru the summer

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/19/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At the current price of feed we are going through about $2k per day.

Thank God we are able to produce most of our own feed.
(or we'd be broke.....lol)

Need to get some of these cows out on grass!

Horses(5) go through a 1200lb bale per week. But they left the feeder and are grazing now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore

A lot of people will become jerks this year. Especially the horsey women folks who have no clue about what hay prices should be what all effects the price. Usually the ones that buy 4- 6 bales at at time. I felt lucky to get some 3x3's, 735 pounds delivered for $135.The local feed store wants $160. no grass to speak of and I will probably have to buy another four to last until next years,since I am feeding thru the summer

Yeah, a lot of buyers may become jerks....or might be the same jerk as before, just making it obvious now....grin...

I'm on the outside looking in.....but....if you didn't let them know anything about the cost increase until after the fact, I can understand their irritation.

I picked up several loads of hay last year. I drive to their farm, they load with a bale handler, I drive home and unload, back and repeat the process three times. I've been buying from this guy for over a decade. He didn't tell me about his price increase until the last load was loaded and I was going to pay him. I had no problem with his price increase. I'm not there to cheat him and I understand a price increase for higher costs or even the reason of just making more profit. His product, he can price as he wishes. I did have a problem with him not telling me until it was time to pay. I pay in cash and already had the envelop with exact cash......had to make another trip back over to pay the remaining. He could have let me known when I called to make the order or on any of the trips to load up. I like the guy and I'll continue using him but it did seem underhanded not to let me know until after.

Not a judgement on you, just my experience from the buyer side.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to replace a tire on a hay tedder yesterday. Luckily for me, they had one in stock and at last years price. Not too bad, total for tire, tube, and labor was $52.50. The owner of the place told me that tires have gone up so much in price that he had to be careful when pricing them to people, because there is often a price increase between the time he orders and when they are delivered.

I also replaced the wheel bearings, as one was shot, and they have gone up about $5 a piece since last year.

While I was waiting on the tire, I was talking to my neighbor who farms my row crop land, and he told me that lime was now close to $50 a ton by the time you bought it and spread it. Lucky for us that we got some for our pasture last fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by saddlesore

A lot of people will become jerks this year. Especially the horsey women folks who have no clue about what hay prices should be what all effects the price. Usually the ones that buy 4- 6 bales at at time. I felt lucky to get some 3x3's, 735 pounds delivered for $135.The local feed store wants $160. no grass to speak of and I will probably have to buy another four to last until next years,since I am feeding thru the summer

Yeah, a lot of buyers may become jerks....or might be the same jerk as before, just making it obvious now....grin...

I'm on the outside looking in.....but....if you didn't let them know anything about the cost increase until after the fact, I can understand their irritation.

I picked up several loads of hay last year. I drive to their farm, they load with a bale handler, I drive home and unload, back and repeat the process three times. I've been buying from this guy for over a decade. He didn't tell me about his price increase until the last load was loaded and I was going to pay him. I had no problem with his price increase. I'm not there to cheat him and I understand a price increase for higher costs or even the reason of just making more profit. His product, he can price as he wishes. I did have a problem with him not telling me until it was time to pay. I pay in cash and already had the envelop with exact cash......had to make another trip back over to pay the remaining. He could have let me known when I called to make the order or on any of the trips to load up. I like the guy and I'll continue using him but it did seem underhanded not to let me know until after.

Not a judgement on you, just my experience from the buyer side.

My wife took the call from the horse lady who wanted 3 loads of hay and explained to her that we could sell her only one load because we have other customers that may need additional hay this time of year. My wife also told her that there is a price increase. The horse lady said: "I understand about the price, everything has gone up." It is evident the horse lady did not pass on the information to her husband.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That bale wrap ain't getting any cheaper either.

If you can find it. Local JD dealer has been out of both wrap and twine and doesn't know when they'll see more.

Luckily my main hay guy bought a bunch at the end of season last year.

He says he will try to keep his price increase to $5 / 800 lb round this year.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I assume you mean wrapping wet or silage hay, not baleing

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some places down here, round bales are already past the $100 mark.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Horse people for you.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
They wrap a good bit of it up thos way. Looks like big marshmallows out in the fields.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I do my hay two ways. The wheat hay is rolled wet, net wrapped, then the bales are wrapped in plastic, stacked end to end, in a long row. Some people call it silage hay, others balege, as it does ferment. The guy who does it for me charged $9 to roll, and $9 to wrap, for a total of $18 a roll. It's expensive doing it that way, but it also results in a better quality hay. The grass hay is rolled and stored in a stack covered with a tarp. That costs me $8.50 a roll, as another farmer rolled it for me. I cut it and rake it myself, and do everything but bale it.

Last edited by JamesJr; 05/19/22.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Horse people for you.

Crazy horse women, and crazy cat women have the same amount of insanity in them.

Only thing is, the crazy horse women have to have lots more $$$ to feed their insanity. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
They wrap a good bit of it up thos way. Looks like big marshmallows out in the fields.
That's how we feed our horses in the winter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.