24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was out on a kayak paddle Sunday in Matlacha Pass FL. I saw a lot of juvie tarpon around mangrove islands. These fish are around 2-3ft.
Im going to go back out this weekend and give them a shot. I have done alot of fly fishing here but never targeted these small tarpon.
Probably going to be a train wreck out of the kayak but I will feel lucking if I hook up on one or two the rest of the summer. More like hunting than fishing. I dont normally fish the backcountry in the summer as the water is 90 degrees or better and low O2 . But I guess these baby tarpon thrive in these backwaters as they gulp air. Its a good discovery for me if it works out as I get cabin fever over the summer down here. Plus its great to be on a mission.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like clear intermediate line, a small clouser or crab pattern. And strip strike with rod under arm, blast to catch. post some pics. good luck

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have to give it a try next week. My buddy had to cancel out so we never got out yesterday.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Caught a lot of fish in the Sanibel, Pine Island, Matlacha area on a white leftys deceiver with some peacock herl and crystal flash over the back of the fly. It does a good job imitating the whitebait in the area. Snook, tarpon, trout all round great pattern. Tied on a number 2 through 1/0 hook for the smaller backwater fish.

Also if you get the chance stop by Lehrs Economy Tackle in north Ft. Myers. Great small shop with a great fly department.

Last edited by scotts308; 03/05/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seriously envious here. Well inland at 4.500 ft elevation and all of our water is still dry matter.

1Minute
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Fly fishing for juvenile tarpon sounds like a blast!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ChiefO

It is. Jacks are a blast on fly too

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Baby poons on a fly should be on most everyone’s bucket list.

The fun factor is off the charts ...

Attached Images

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I spent the better part of 1991 fly fishing for baby tarpon and snook when I live down in Del Ray Beach, FL. The canal's around Everglade City and Ochopee can be a real hoot during the winter and early spring time. Sink the steel into their lip and your almost guaranteed the opportunity to watch one of the greatest acrobatic shows on earth.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by AK_Troutbum; 04/03/22. Reason: Add pic
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scotts308
Caught a lot of fish in the Sanibel, Pine Island, Matlacha area on a white leftys deceiver with some peacock herl and crystal flash over the back of the fly. It does a good job imitating the whitebait in the area. Snook, tarpon, trout all round great pattern. Tied on a number 2 through 1/0 hook for the smaller backwater fish.

Also if you get the chance stop by Lehrs Economy Tackle in north Ft. Myers. Great small shop with a great fly department.
Lehrs is the best place to go. I been going there for decades. My fishing buddy worked there as a boy. They got just what you need to fish the area. So you dont have to wade through the gummie bears and plastic shoes.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by ChiefO

It is. Jacks are a blast on fly too
I caught a big jack a few weeks ago. Dang rodeo on fly and a yak. Spun me in a circle for ten minutes before he tired out.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by scotts308

Same fly is my go-to up here in the Homosassa/Crystal River area.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
485 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 3,357 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,869
Posts18,403,279
Members73,824
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.