-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rock Island has a video on Screwtube about serial #1 I've never even seen one to my knowledge.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best rimfire semi-auto rifle ever made !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I shot one extensively 40 years ago. It was light, compact and good looking. Killed a few squirrels with it. Accuracy was barely OK. The stock had too much drop to suit me as did most rifles of that era. I ended up trading it. Haven't missed it.

RS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
During my juvenile delinquency period (no convictions), a Winchester Model 63 made for one heck of a “beginner’s machine gun.” It has the same fire control system as the M1 Carbine. I somehow figured out that a 1/4” length of stripped solid copper electrical wire, commonly used in house construction during those years, when laid sideways between the sear and trigger, enabled rock and roll at about 600 rounds per minute. If I got off the trigger quick enough each time, I could get three 3-round bursts, plus one shot, from the 10 round tubular magazine in the butt before it ran dry. I even made a cute wooden clamp-on bipod for it. A 3-round burst of Winchester Super X hollow points would sure do a number on a plump California Ground Squirrel, I can tell you.

The nicest thing about it was the quick thumbscrew takedown feature at the upper rear of the receiver. If the federales ever came over the hill to see what all the rat-tat-tat was about, the small piece of copper wire could be in the dirt and stepped on before they could get to me.

Big fun.

Every day’s an adventure.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Hell no! They all suck.

I will offer you $100 for each of those miserable POS tomato stakes you send my way.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well i have a model 1903 in 22 win auto, getting expensive for ammo, so found a model 63 in standard 22 long rifle, so now I can have the same fun only cheaper.
great little rimfire fun to shoot, ended up getting 1906, 1890's and having fun with the pumps also.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have two from the 50s, great guns.

Got excited when I saw one awhile back in a shop, after a closer look, it was the later '90s miroku made ones. They still bring good money though. I think Taurus made a copy also.

I have seen serial number 43, guy wanted over 3k for it. Too rich for my blood.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Exchipy
During my juvenile delinquency period (no convictions), a Winchester Model 63 made for one heck of a “beginner’s machine gun.” It has the same fire control system as the M1 Carbine. I somehow figured out that a 1/4” length of stripped solid copper electrical wire, commonly used in house construction during those years, when laid sideways between the sear and trigger, enabled rock and roll at about 600 rounds per minute. If I got off the trigger quick enough each time, I could get three 3-round bursts, plus one shot, from the 10 round tubular magazine in the butt before it ran dry. I even made a cute wooden clamp-on bipod for it. A 3-round burst of Winchester Super X hollow points would sure do a number on a plump California Ground Squirrel, I can tell you.

The nicest thing about it was the quick thumbscrew takedown feature at the upper rear of the receiver. If the federales ever came over the hill to see what all the rat-tat-tat was about, the small piece of copper wire could be in the dirt and stepped on before they could get to me.

Big fun.
I was gifted a 63 that was so worn that if you held it upside down when firing it would go full auto most of the time. Why would any kid fire a rifle upside down? When you are 13, lots of stuff makes sense.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Exchipy

Big fun.
I was gifted a 63 that was so worn that if you held it upside down when firing it would go full auto most of the time. Why would any kid fire a rifle upside down? When you are 13, lots of stuff makes sense.

So you are the reason they came out with that god awful model 55 single shot semi. I actually have one, cool gun, weird idea. Parents wanted a single shot for Johny, Johny wanted a semi, Winchester met them half way.

Last edited by killerv; 05/18/22.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As far as I'm concerned they were the best .22 Automatic rifle ever made and if I could only keep one of my .22's the model 63 would be it .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I never had an original 63 but bought a new reproduction (Miroku?) 63 about twenty-five years ago. Excellent gun and accurate for an open-sighted .22.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I still have a few.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Best 22 auto in my opinion

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.