Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by splattermatic
If I'm not mistaken, WOA, stopped arc, and Grendel barrels, or bolts, or ?

Never started the 6 ARC. Warned against it and high pressure loads. Something I'd be cautious of as well... The reason I went 6x45 instead.

They pushed out that statement and too this day they still haven’t tested the 6ARC like they said they were. Their last statement was from October 2021, they said they were to busy, which is understandable.

I do see their concerns when it comes to high power shooters. They will ride the edge of pressure majority of the time they go over it.

Now normal folks who adhere to hornady recommendation not to load over 52k will probably be fine.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Or ?
Means, or never started or ?
They don't sell anything Grendel or ARC.
They don't want to be held liable for reloaders over pressure.
Just a little too much leverevolution, seems to cause real high spikes, real quick !
Thank you for the stuff. I'm going to load some more bt's to make sure they shoot that good again, then do a quantity load so I have ammo on hand.
Chronograph should be here today !

Last edited by splattermatic; 05/14/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Or ?
Means, or never started or ?
They don't sell anything Grendel or ARC.
That don't want to be held liable for reloaders over pressure.
Just a little too much leverevolution, seems to cause real high spikes, real quick !
Thank you for the stuff. I'm going to load some more bt's to make sure they shoot that good again, then do a quantity load so I have ammo on hand.
Chronograph should be here today !

That's a good thing to check those loads and make sure you aren't giving it too much beans buddy. Then after that, load all the ammo you want. Looks like you are getting it dialed in. On to the subject of the 10 shot groups that I brought up earlier, I haven't been shooting them much anymore, since I am shooting more long range and trying to conserve my ammo. But its always a good idea to shoot them when verifying a load. Then, when you find a load you are happy with, load a chit ton. With my AR's, I set the bar at sub moa 10 shot groups. That way I know if I shoot 3 or 5 shot groups, the load is fully capable of sub moa. Even at long range, which I also verify. I also try to work up loads that work that well in multiple rifles. For me, a 10 shot group tells me far more than a 3 or 5 shot group. Now in my new to me 30-06, I've been shooting 3 and 5 shot groups. With ammo that was loaded for another rifle. This was under the fine tuning process and to make sure bedding was correct. Now its on to load development, where I will shoot multiple 5 shot groups. If I get a string where 2 shots are 1 1/2+ inches apart, I'll stop shooting that load and pull the bullets and save components. I'm glad to see your 6 ARC is shooting acceptably well for your needs. Makes me want to pull my 6x45 out again. I recently bought some 87gr Vmax's to play around with, since they were a pretty good deal at Scheels. I'm also glad you are posting pics and getting out and enjoying our shooting sports buddy. Even with a hurt back. I know that sucks. I've still been shooting my competitions as my ribs heal up. They are not 100%, even after a few months. I felt that on the last shoot and have another one coming up next saturday.. Laying in the dirt and shooting isn't my favorite thing to do, but I'm keeping up with the guys there. Even with my mostly bone stock Tikka... The only one shooting without a chassis..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have to get out !
I'm going stir crazy in the house.
I've tried to get anything lifting, bending, or twisting done.
I gotta call the urologist on Monday. I don't have an appointment til June 16th ! Back surgery won't be done til that kidney stone is out !
That means into July maybe !!!
Then minimum 3 months to mend, before pt starts.....
That puts me into October ...
No hunting for me this year, other than waterfowl. Finn should be ready for simple retrieves by then, maybe started casting ?
I'm just playing with range toys, and maybe calling coyotes ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have to get out !
I'm going stir crazy in the house.
I've tried to get anything lifting, bending, or twisting done.
I gotta call the urologist on Monday. I don't have an appointment til June 16th ! Back surgery won't be done til that kidney stone is out !
That means into July maybe !!!
Then minimum 3 months to mend, before pt starts.....
That puts me into October ...
No hunting for me this year, other than waterfowl. Finn should be ready for simple retrieves by then, maybe started casting ?
I'm just playing with range toys, and maybe calling coyotes ?
Sounds like a plan. I'm going to go and work up some new loads for my 6x45:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I was ringing steel with it at 400 the other night. Shooting along side a guy and his girlfriend. He was using his DPMS AR308 and was not hitting jack chidt. After a while he asked, "what yardage is the coyote target"? I said 400:

He said, "oh chidt, that is why I'm not hitting anything, I thought it was 500!!". Then his girlfriend says, "I could have told you it was 400". Oh, it was interesting. The guy was in shorts and getting down on the cement pad and shooting prone:

As the sun was going behind the hill, it was getting chilly. Probably around 40 degrees. He said, "damn its getting a little too cold out here to be laying on this cement, I should have been more prepared". His girlfriend said, "well you are a marine, not a boy scout". I almost started busting up.. Strange guy, but the girlfriend was hot.. ha ha.. I was using my 85gr SGK load for my 6x45. That seems like a very popular bullet, works great on deer and the like I guess.. It was definitely tagging that yote silhouette at 400 yards with every shot though. Almost too big of a target for most rifles I shoot...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Always a good time with the general public !!

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
I love BA barrels for their accuracy, I just hate they are so damn heavy. Not all are that way, I have several of their pencil barrels that are accurate but 3-5 shots and they begin walking, great for deer or hen house intruders, but wouldn't want to go cyclic with one.

I wished there were some midweight choices in their ARC options like this Grendel barrel I have

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I surely do loves pictures of targets well shot and of the guns what done it.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Darryle,
I've not had it done, but is it possible to send an AR barrel out, and have it fluted ?
Normal rifle barrels get it done, why not an AR ?

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
They can be done, there was a group over on another forum that got together and did a group buy. I don't remember the shop that did the work because I didn't have an unfluted barrel to send in. I did buy one from another member that sent one in and got ansy and bought one fluted and finished his build. The work was really nice and deep, but sharp. I ended up taking it to a machine shop buddy of mine and tumbled it in his tumbler, after a serious tape and seal job, it came out perfectly fine with nice edges on the flutes. It was still heavier than I liked but shot excellent. We also used a steelabrator on another stainless barrel to see what would happen, apparently nothing, no improvement or no harm either. We kinda were thinking stress relief, but other than a weird finish, it was a waste of time.

If BA would copy that Grendel barrel profile and fluting in 6mm ARC, I would buy 3 or 4 just to have. That 20" barrel is just a few ounces heavier than my 16" Faxon 6mm ARC barrel.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Can you please specify some details, how many flutes, flute width, barrel OD behind gas block, and flute depth, thus groove to flute bottom measurement? Anything else, weight, length... Please & Thanks

Edited

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 05/16/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
Boomer, I will measure them tomorrow. I have the calipers sitting right there with it because I was wondering myself about actual weeight savings.

Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Can you please specify some details, how many flutes, flute width, barrel OD behind gas block, and flute depth, thus groove to flute bottom measurement? Anything else, weight, length... Please.

Have the same barrel as splatt and planning to cut flutes, six at 1/4". Haven't decided upon depth yet. Some would say nogo on a completed button-rifled barrel, but, I am doing it anyway.... It'd been wayyy more economical to have bought the fluted Wilson Combat barrel!

Nearly ready to go.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Boomer,
If yours turns out nice, and no loss of accuracy.
How much to do mine ?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Boomer,
If yours turns out nice, and no loss of accuracy.
How much to do mine ?
I'll have to see how it goes. I'll reach out to you directly to let you know what's happening.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 05/16/22. Reason: Reduce

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome !
Thank you.
I'm looking forward to this.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Chronograph results from this morning.
90 grain Nosler BT, 2.195 OAL, 28.0 grains of varget. 18" barrel.
Average of 3 shots, 2685 fps.
95 grain Nosler BT. 2.208 oal, 30.0 grains of leverevolution, 18" barrel.
Average of 5 shots, 2838 fps.
105 Grain Hornady bthp, 2.210 oal, 29.5 grains of leverevolution, 18" barrel.
Average of 3 shot. 2675 fps.

Last edited by splattermatic; 05/17/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
OK, it's hard to measure flute depth with a pair of calipers alone, but with a couple of drill rods, it becomes exponentially easier.

Front Flutes:

Width .250"
Length 5"
Barrel diameter .730" forward of the gas block journal
Minor diameter at base of flutes .640"

Rear Flutes:

Width .375"
Length 10.5"
Barrel diameter .850 aft of the gas block journal
Minor diameter at base of flutes .640"

Weight listed is 33.3oz
Weight with gas tube and low profile non-adjustable gas block was 2lbs 5 oz

Link to the barrel:

Ballistic Advantage fluted 6.5 Grendel barrel DMR contour

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks for the details! It's much appreciated.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Played with my oal a little with 105 grain Hornady bthp's, and went to 2.220 over 29.5 grains of leverevolution.
Yep, that'll do pig !
90 gainers are still shooting well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking better splat..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.