Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Has anyone ever seen or modified a No. 1 to a take down version ? Even to the extent of exchanging calibers .

This was at the top of my xmas list last year .

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, but I love the way you think.

I have seen a side lever Ruger #3.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
OK , let me take another run at this . To specify what I would need in a take down number 1 and why .

First the why , not to affend the TC people but an encore or contender conversion does not balance like a number 1 ruger .

I am specifying a Ruger no. 1 in a medium weight fluted barrel , caliber 25-06 with a 4x12 scope ...........with the use of a screwdriver only to remove the forearm , loosen a thumb screw , twist barrel and remove scope and all ....... reverse procedure and install a 35 whelen barrel , same profile with a 3x9 scope .

Nothing else is needed to be modified . Even though these cartridges us a common base case I would not have to as the extractor in a No. 1 automatically adjust .

Why didn't we think of it before ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Properly executed, ....it should work.......I think that the rimless extractor will complicate things a bit more than the Stevens like swap scenario itterated / proposed though.

Dunno', for sure,....and to tired to dig out prints.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You might talk to Doug Turnbull if you decide to take the plunge. He does TD conversions on 1886s on a regular basis.
Be sure to be sitting when he gives you the quote.

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
might work with an interupted thread so the barrel doesn't have to make a complete rotation. you would also have to find away to move the extractor/ejector out of the slot cut in the barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know that Adolf Hagn offers a takedown option on his fine rifles. Definitely want to hold on when he prices it to you. As a matter of fact the cost would probably be so high that it would be wasted on an inexpensive factory type rifle. You would probably want to move up to a custom action and fine Turkish walnut so the cost of the takedown feature wouldn't be wasted.

SS
Josh

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Maine Rifle,.....you should have a look at the CPA Stevens 44 1/2 Rifle, built in Dingmans Ferry, PA., USA.

I've shot 'em a bit, in BPCR, Rimfire, and Highpower Centerfire configurations. They sport the sweetest set triggers around, and are a "Switch Barrel" rig in the truest sense of the word.

The .30-40 that I wrung out was a tackdriver, .......in fairness I must add that it was a mite "Hold Sensitive" off the bench / bags.......Not that it scattered its' group, ......I could shoot 2 groups....wind centered but vertically spaced, by going from a "Hard Hold" to free recoil. Once I had the hang of it, it presented no real challenge. A very good friend of mine runs one in .270 Win.,and .225 Win ( good HOT varmint round, that) his son's got that 30-40 Krag chambering, and of course there's the ubiquitous 22 LR, as well.

So, a couple or three Barrels, a couple or three extractors, and a couple of breecblocks, and there's your riggin'......

Link: www.singleshotrifles.com

Luck,

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, Sir;

I'm sure you think you have a clever idea. However I would venture a guess that there is a reason why take-down firearms are not manufactured anymore.

1st: Why? The practical market is about zip.

2nd: It serves no useful purpose.

3rd: Expensive hand fitting and precise machining has been passe' since the pre '64 Model 70. Take-down rifles are too expensive to build. (Manufacturers do have to make a profit, you know!) smile

4th: Normal wear and tear of delicate threads can and will cause excessive headspace. (Safety?)

May I suggest that you find a custom gunsmith that will do the job. Don't ask how much, just order that work done. Take out a 2nd mortgage on you house to pay for it and then report to us how much you like it and that you still think it was a great idea. (I would bet that you will change your tune by then... smile )

I would wager that you will spend at least and then some as two new #1s in .25-06 and .35 Whelen.

I do believe that guns with interchangable barrels are an advantage to own in countries where the number of firearms one owns is restricted. Personally I just buy a #1 in any and all calibers I like and call it good. Isn't America Great?

Sorry for playing the devil's advocate, but I fail to see the feasiblity of such a pursuit. Go ahead and flame me, but Puleeze tell us what the final cost is when you get the project done. I don't think there will be a long line waiting.... smile

GH

By the way, I'm sure you are going to state that you won't buy a Hagn or Blaser because they are far too expensive. Well I'd like to buy a new Corvette, for the price of a Dodge Neon, too... But I don't think it's likely to happen in the near future. smile Until then, I'll just keep driving my old one. smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm sure you think you have a clever idea. However I would venture a guess that there is a reason why take-down firearms are not manufactured anymore.

Hey Grasshopper

I am sure Browning would be interested to hear that they no longer offer/manufacture the BLR rifle in takedown form. Especially since its currently cataloged. wink

I beleive Merkel currently offer a takedown as well.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thomas,

Guess what? You're right! I looked in my '07 Browning catalog and they indeed do. I also remembered that FN/Browning/Miroku also makes the 1895 Winchester in take-down. Saw one the other day at a gun store. Bargain priced, too.... Only $1800 or so.... (I can buy 2 1/2 Number ones for that price. I will wager that in less than 10 years Browning won't be making the BLR in take-down.

After I posted the last post, I called my buddy the "Gundoctor". I asked if he could do the job and he answered: "I could." Then I asked how much. He said: "If I had to buy a new #1 and convert it to take-down, probably $1000 to $1200." (And another $500-$600 to fit a second bbl.) Then I asked him if he would do the job, And he answered: "He!! no, I'd be working for about $4 an hour! Do you realize how many man hours in machine work that would take?" then he said: "And besides, why would you want to? You would have to leave the fore-end hanger on it, anyway. Working around that would be a real bitch... You'd still have pieces that were nearly two feet long or more." And then he contiued: If you have a healthy checkbook, Doug Turnbull will likely do it...

So again, I say: "What useful purpose does it serve?" If one were backpack hunting for Elk, would one carry an extra barrel just in case he saw a mule deer? Heck no! He'd leave it at camp. So I guess if one is going to leave it at camp, then one might just as well leave a whole rifle. smile 'Course it just occured to me that since the scope on a No: 1 mounts on the barrel, thus if one carried an extra barrel, one would also have to carry an extra scope.... The more I look at this, the less feasible it becomes.... Sorry, I'm just playing the Devil's advocate...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grass
I dont know, I personally dont see the need for a take down. I usually take two rifles with my on hunting trips anyway, but thats just me.
I have guy I used know real well who had a mauser 98 done for him as a take down gun. It was slick, whoever the 'smith was(dont recall) changed the barrel/action threads to a much heavier interupted type, I think only needed a 60 degree turn or so to change the barrels. IIRC he had a .30-06 barrel, .25-06, and something else maybe a .35 whelan..the stock was split each barrel had its own fore end attached to it.
It was an impressive contraption.
I still would rather have a couple different rifles, than one I had to fiddle with, but hey in the world of custom guns.....to each his own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had completely forgotten about the Euro switch barrels. Blaser, Merkel and maybe Heym? They are only about $3000 to $5000 and then you can have lots of calibers. I would nearly bet they would be a good bit cheaper than having Turnbull or A. Hagn build a one-of-a-kind. Supposedly they hold their value well. Doesn't Blaser do double rifles with a spare set of shotgun tubes?

SS
Josh

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thomas:

I still would rather have a couple different rifles, than one I had to fiddle with, but hey in the world of custom guns.....to each his own.

A big "Thumbs Up" on that statement. smile

Josh,

If Blaser makes doubles, I'm not aware of it. But IIRC, Merkel does. Oops! I just checked my Blue Book and Blaser does indeed make double rifles in any caliber from .222-.500 NE. 100% values start aroun $7500 and add $3000 for an extra set of barrels.

Merkel doubles start at around $6000 and go up from there... How high? If you have to ask, you can't afford it. smile

At last count, I was somewhere around 30 Ruger #1's so the idea of a switch barrel doesn't hold much appeal for me. smile Altho' lately I've been thinking of reducing my quantity and increasing the quality. blush

GH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Josh
You are correct sir!(insert Ed McMahon impression) wink
Blaser does make express type doubles with shotgun barrel set in addition. There was one in the past couple of weeks on gunbroker and I believe I saw one in the fine gun libray listings for cabelas. I think they were both of the .470 nitro - 20 gauge variety.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wouldn't a #1 in 30-06 be a take-down combo 25-06/35 Whelen?

125 - 240 grains.....hmmmm, two different scopes sighted for the appropriately desired load if need be. There you go! wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
bring enough gun place the shot well and all else will fall in place.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grass, that is exactly what I did. Decrease quantity and increase quality. I sold a bunch of generic factory stuff and had Ralf Martini and Adolf Hagn build me one of their single shots. It is a straight forward hunting rifle in 300 win mag. No sights on the barrel and a couple of sets of Talley rings for scopes for different occasions. It was the best move I have ever made. The rifle is the finest, best fitting piece of art that I have ever seen. I hunt every day with the best single shot rifle in the world. Here's me and my Hagn with a Springbok that Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Safaris put me on.

SS
Josh

[Linked Image]

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Fantastic !!!!!!

Everybody thankyou for your input both for and against , that is how ideas are worked to their full potential .

In reply I would offer the following :

a.) I never use brand new rifles for modification and rebuilds .. much cheaper and with no repercussions I would procure a used and maybe abused no. 1 to create a new life .... barrels are to be replaced in this scenario anyways .

b.) My intent is not for a rifle to switch during a hunt but rather for each season or purpose ; deer hunting / varmit / larger game .

c.) Also I have a penchant for strange calibers for which to experiment , loads etc ..... building a rifle for each is quite expensive ... a barrel and scope combination only is more economical ( by the way the scope does mount on the barrel and zero is not affected by takedown .)

d.) I am sure the Blasers and Merkels are fine rifles , I have never seen or held one so it is hard to compare .

As you have probably guessed I have had this rifle built as I specified , it works very well ....my initial groups are acceptible in the 1 to 1.5 range .... I will be fine tuning my loads to improve this . I did not use a high profile smith to build this rifle but rather a capable local craftsman willing to humor my endeavor . There is a video of this rifle being assembled from one barrel to the next on his page and how easy it works but being new to this group I am unsure whether I can publish such a thing .. also not sure how to attach the photos or they would be here .

I will be using this rifle as a starting point for my future ventures in wildcating and even testing of new factory calibers in the near future .

I believe it will serve my purposes admirably and my intent was to see if anyone else felt it a worthwhile pusuit .

Again , thank you for your participation .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One question , ...before this goes cold....did your Smith use interupted threads....?

"( by the way the scope does mount on the barrel and zero is not affected by takedown .)"....

Academic interest here....

GTC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 61 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.