Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I’m rating the bullets I have experience with. I hunt deer and pigs, sometimes shoot Aoudads. Just my opinion

Nosler
Barnes
Bear Claws…whoever made them
Sierra.

Last edited by hanco; 05/17/22.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh so many choices and not enough time. Are you saying those are the only bullets you've ever used/ tried? No Hornady interlocks? Winchester powerpoints, Remington corelokts, Speer grandslams, Federal fusions, Swift, north fork, etc etc..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tough bullets
1. TTSX
2. Accubonds

Cup and core bullets
1. Sierra
2. Hornady

YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Oh so many choices and not enough time. Are you saying those are the only bullets you've ever used/ tried? No Hornady interlocks? Winchester powerpoints, Remington corelokts, Speer grandslams, Federal fusions, Swift, north fork, etc etc..

Yep. Did use Grand Slams in a 25-06 for a while, great bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite is partitions. But I also shoot a lot of interlocks. Years ago, before the interlocks it was CL’s.
I have had only two failures with bullets after 60 years of hunting.
Sierras 30-06 & 165 grain - expended so fast it didn’t get through the doe’s shoulder.
Speer 105 grain 6mm. It took 6 rounds through the lungs to drop a pronghorn.
I’ve used and liked many bullets though.

PS: I believe that Sierra fixed their problem with that bullet. I’ve never used Sierra bullets on anything bigger than varmints since then. That was maybe 30 years ago.
I find that Speer bullets are often good bullets. I just have not used many since then.

Last edited by Bugger; 05/18/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess it depends on the game I'm hunting. Thick skinned game like African critters are best taken with Swift Aframes IMO. They also work well on elk.

My list in order of most use-

Nosler Accubonds
Nosler Partitions
Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting
Swift Aframe
Hornady Interlocks

Varmints-
Nosler Ballistic tips/Varmageddon
Hornady Vmax

I would try the Barnes more but it seems every time I've tried to load them I couldn't get the accuracy I require from them- especially compared to what I'm already shooting. My good buddy Silver Bullet uses the TTSX almost exclusively and they shoot great for him so there must be something I'm doing wrong with them..

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Of the bullets i have experience with
1. Tough bullet for Me ....Barnes TTSX/TSX
2. Best cup/core hunting bullet ....Hornady Interlock

I have also killed deer with Sierra Pro Hunters, Sierra Gameking, Remington core-lokt, Nosler Accubond,Nosler partition, Nosler Ballistic tip, Hornady SST, Hornady FTX, Hornady Interbond and Federal Fusion..and probly several more, this is off the top of my head......Hb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
killed more deer with Speer hot cores than anything else.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nosler by a mile......specifically partition, AB, BT. Runners up include a 139 Lapua Scenar, and Barnes TTSX, have used a bunch of different bullets though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hanco, I haven’t had a bad experience with any bullet I kept in its velocity at impact window. Started on Speers, went to Interlocks then found SPS and geeked on NP & NAB for a long time. Now I’m playing with TTSX & LRX. They all do the job if the shooter does his or hers. Never been really let down if I made a good shot.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 05/17/22.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Started with Hornady and Remington a long time ago.

I have used Nosler partition and their BT bullets.

Tried to use Barnes bullets in 25 caliber but quit them when they would not open up,even when hitting bone.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You don't hear much about the Hornady Interbond, but the 154s out of a 7STW have performed great on 10 Roosevelt elk. I bet on eight of them I found the bullet under the opposite hide, perfect mushroom.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by blairvt
killed more deer with Speer hot cores than anything else.

Same here. I've used others but no doubt my favorite is the Speer Hot-Cor. Over the years i've always had excellent results on deer with Hot-Cors in various calibers.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nosler Partitions
Swift A-Frames
Hammer
Federal trophy bonded
Hornady
Lapua
Barnes

Last edited by pete53; 05/18/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting that no one cited Berger VLD Hunting bullets, or the ELD-X Hornady's.

Me, been a Partition guy forever with Swift A-Frames coming in a close second.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Partitions
Accubonds
Hornady Interlocs
Corelocks

I gave up on Barnes when some X bullets failed to expand on game. For standard velocity rounds, I always start with Hornady. I’ve had mixed luck with Sierra GameKings. Some were way soft, and some way hard. Life is too short and good tags are too hard to draw to risk a bullet mishap.

For mags, I start with accubonds as in general, I find it easier to get great accuracy. Having said that, some partition loads have shot 1 hole groups in some guns….

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
#1 - mono’s: preferably Barnes or Hammer

#2- partition design: Nosler or Swift

#3 - Hornady Interlock or a bonded

memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nosler Partition
Nosler BT
Hornady IL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barnes is always my first choice. If they don't offer a bullet to fit the application I'll look at Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Woodleigh or others in no particular order.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Strikes me as a tough assignment unless you specify MV or, better, impact velocity range.

A 150 gr Speer BTSP might be perfect for deer from a .300 Savage, especially at distance.

OTOH, a 50 yd opportunity with a .300 Roy with 150 gr bullet would almost beg for a TTSX.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

351 members (17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 34 invisible), 1,567 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,665
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.