Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone ever used the SOS capability on any of the Garmin satellite devices? If so, what kind of country were you in and who responded?

I live in fully developed farm country, but there are still areas without cell service. I keep the device activated for when I'm fishing or hunting in those areas.
Got a cousin who also owns a Garmin Satellite com device but left it home on his guided fishing trip on Lake of the Woods. The guide's boat motor developed trouble some 25 miles out and the guide had no way to communicate their trouble. Long night on the water with weather moving in.

Anyone ever share a trip in real time with family or friends via Mapshare? I've not yet used the feature. All I've evr done with the device is text family when I'm out of cell range. It's not really cheap, but the ability to communicate is worth the price of admission. Admittedly, I got my device on a killer REI sale, and use the most basic "safety" plan.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never, thankfully, have I had to use the SOS on my mini. The standard subscription allows boocoo sending of preset messages, and I have used those. They provide a map link to the recipients and with a bit of forethought, that can, with no additional cost, do everything I need, anywhere.
RB

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got my Inreach back when it was owned by DeLorme. I had a SPOT before that. I've never needed either but I've carried it in a lot of places.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Use my Inreach all the time… never for the “SOS” function, but I was able to text my brother to come pick me up in his airplane and fly me to the hospital. Each way, the texts take from 3-15 minutes usually.

Another option is a Personal Locator Beacon. Friend of mine was in a boat that capsized, pulled the lanyard on his PLB, and searchers were on the water within 20 minutes.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i carry my inreach a lot.
it wont do you any good sitting on the shelf----as the fellow in the boat can attest.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a PLB for boating.On the rare occasions I am remote on land, it goes with me too.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Use my Inreach all the time… never for the “SOS” function, but I was able to text my brother to come pick me up in his airplane and fly me to the hospital. Each way, the texts take from 3-15 minutes usually.

Another option is a Personal Locator Beacon. Friend of mine was in a boat that capsized, pulled the lanyard on his PLB, and searchers were on the water within 20 minutes.
Nice to have a "rescue service" in the family.

As to the preset messages mentioned above, they are handy. I generally send 3 a day when i'm out of cell range fishing. Send as many of them as you want on the basic safety plan for no extra charge
Even regular text messages are not really cost prohibitive if you exceed your limit, and need more. $.50 each is cheap if you need communication

I've had my device for about 3 years. First 2 months I went with the middle cost plan to allow me to play with it a little. Backed off to the basic plan after that and have never yet exceeded the text message limit.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rayporter
i carry my inreach a lot.
it wont do you any good sitting on the shelf----as the fellow in the boat can attest.

Yeah... That was just last year, and I just heard the story a few weeks ago at a family gathering. That cousin, and his wife stay busy. They were just back from Florida, where they had video of the wife petting a 10' gator's head from an airboat.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Also Impressed with battery life, as I carry mine in my vehicle and only turn it on occasionally to message. Last charged over a year ago and had 65% when i plugged it in today. Temps from -20 to 105 degrees (and likely hotter in the car)

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ihave a personal use inReach, never used the SOS function, but have shared my route and sent messages.Also, We use them for our search and rescue teams to track location when in the field. Also if they need to send an SOS if things go bad while out of radio communications.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
boocoo - WTF?

Is that like beaucoup?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone know? If you're sharing a route map, does the person you're sharing it with need any special app, program, or downloaded maps?

Been looking at it and I still haven't figured out how to initiate a mapshare

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
Anyone know? If you're sharing a route map, does the person you're sharing it with need any special app, program, or downloaded maps?

Been looking at it and I still haven't figured out how to initiate a mapshare

No, they do not. I use the InReach Mini, it links to my cell via the Earthmate app. This gives me a larger screen and typing like using my smartphone. Sharing the route map, or sending a message uses the contacts in your phone, or you can type the recipient info in manually. They can receive the web ling to your route via their email or text or both. All depends on where you send it. They can view your route anytime, as long as you have the route active and they have the web link.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.