Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
I took my Labradar to the range yesterday and shot 20-plus strings of .45 ACP through it …. nooooo ….. with it.

Mostly 8-round mags with a specific powder charge each working up loads.

It was very nice not to have to shoot 200 rounds offhand through a “window.” It allowed me to put up a bunch of bulls on one target and have a new aiming point for each mag.

I like the data output per mag. Provides a ton of “fireside reading” for later. smile

The Labradar ain’t perfect, but there is a lot to like about it.

Wants, in order of priority for ME:

Let me return to a previous string and add to it, so when I am shooting rifles I can be shooting one while another (or more) are cooling, and I can go back and resume collecting data on a now-cooled rifle.

2. Capture shotgun data.

3. Capture ultra fast small caliber rifle data (it captures my .223 loads just fine).

4. Capture arrow speed.

I am sure there are others …

I use the remote trigger on my bows and it works well. I set the radar on a tripod and shoot beside it. The triggered radar and my pro chrony are typically parallel in readings.

The alignment with small pills and the correct offset are critical for them to aquire the shot.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...make sure the muzzle is close above the V at the rear of the MS with each rifle.

JB, how close does the sensor need to be below the bore? No more than an inch? Two inches?

Per the instructions, which come with the unit and are available on the manufacturer's website, the distance should be 1/8" to 1/4".

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for jogging my memory....

Since "building" my stand, have just tried to get the muzzle as close as possible to the V without touching it. This has worked very well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That's good to know. I just bought a used Magnetospeed V3 and haven't been able to get out to use it yet. I was wondering how crucial it was to be exactly a quarter inch below the bullet. I'm making a stand like you and others have done so I can test groups at the same time.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm on my third chronograph. I bought a Chrony while still in college in about 1990. It worked okay for several years. Then I tried an RCBS, which sometimes was unreliable. Now I use a Competition Electronics I bought from Midway USA for not much more than I originally paid for the Chrony, and it serves my modest needs. It's nice knowing a ballpark figure for my velocities, ranging from 700 fps for target loads in my .45 ACP to nearly 4,000 fps in my .220 Swift, and many points in between. I don't use it a ton, but I also can't imagine living without one, either. Kind of like my 5" .357 Magnum S&W 27-2.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got the Shooting Chrony, and shot over it this morning.
Fars I can tell, it works just fine.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of my younger friends, a former Montana hunting guide and U.S. Army sniper who served more than one tour in the Middle East, has been using an early ProChrono for many years, and it still works fine--and he shoots a LOT.

I don't shoot as much as I used to, but used to shoot quite a bit and had the ProChrono Digital since (IIRC) the late 90s. It still works, sold it and got the DLX so I could record the info on my phone. Great reliable Chrony that doesn't break the bank.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I have excellent results with these two chronographs

https://oehler-research.com/product/35p-complete-kit/

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/ced-m2-chronograph

They agree with each other so accuracy is never doubted

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a ProChrono DLX that is Bluetooth connected to my phone. Keeps the shot strings in a file on my phone app. Works great for what I need it to do.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
My Oehler 35P does require a bit of set up, but I can trust it.

^^^ THIS

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have been using my little Chrony since about 1990 same one, 10's of thousands of rounds over it and it is still working very well, in fact was using it yesterday, like the bunny takes a licking and keeps on ticking

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a Shooting Chrony F1 for years, it worked but not great. The lighting had to be just right as well as the sun screens and even then I would question the readings. Then I got a good deal on a ProChrono DLX, Much better in every way and just a little more money. I'm convinced it is about as good as it gets for the money.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by high_country_
I run my optical chronograph upside down in the sun and it solved all the headaches. I don't ever use sky screens now.

I am going to try that! Does ground cover seem to matter? GD

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Anyone using a Pact? I have been gifted a brand new in the box one but haven't used it yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 5 minutes I shot handgun holes through (2) shooting chronys and (1) pro chrono.

In that last 5 minutes I could see I liked how the pro chrono triggered.

Then I bought another pro chrono and only shot rifles over it.

Years went by with no holes in the 4th chrono.

Then I shot a group with a handgun and then set up chrono #4.

Now 10 years later, I have still not shot any chronographs, but target practicing with each handgun before using the chrono.

Other chronos still in box, will probably stay there until I die of old age. I have overcome my pi$$ poor pistol shooting.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by zcm82
I have a cheap Caldwell. It works, but on a clear sunny day it needs to be in shade. It gives all kind of wonky readings if it has bright direct sunlight over it.

It also needs to be quite a distance back from a muzzleloader or the smoke makes it read goofy, too.

This is my experience as well. My basic Caldwell was my first optical chronograph. I have no idea if every brand and model of optical chronograph is as finicky, but my Caldwell sure is.

If sky conditions are right and the range is empty, I can get it work pretty easily and produce repeatable measurements.
Those are two pretty big "ifs" at times. Maybe there are some handloaders with enough experience they can set up a chrono and get to shooting. I find I need several trips back and forth to the bench to check alignment. It probably doesn't help the ground on my outdoor range is not flat or very level.

As I said, I hope it is my last optical. A new LabRadar just arrived. I hope this LabRadar let's me capture reliable data regardless of the sky and without having to spend time downrange fiddling with a setup. I think it will. Even if the LabRadar is everything it's cracked up to be, I'll still hang on to my Caldwell.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gentlemen,

Would someone please explain the "song and dance" that's involved in setting up an Oehler 35P.
Isn't there setup time with all models? Are they considerably less time consuming?
I think a lot of shooters would like to hear it firsthand from the fellows using them.
Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Soup

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Hydehunter
I have been using my little Chrony since about 1990 same one, 10's of thousands of rounds over it and it is still working very well, in fact was using it yesterday, like the bunny takes a licking and keeps on ticking

I always wonder how shooters with inexpensive chronographs know they're accurate.

For my job, they have to be, which is why I've owned an Oehler 35P for many years. All the other chronographs I use are tested directly against the Oehler. The three Shooting Chronys I've owned have not worked out in the long run--though in one instance the problem was a .41 Magnum bullet through the center of the display. But the other two eventually ended up being erratic.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just look at published reload data with velocities listed. That gives me a ballpark number. If my cheap, set up gives velocities close to those publish figures, I call it close enough.
If my numbers are off, then I know not to believe it.
Simple....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by splattermatic
I just look at published reload data with velocities listed. That gives me a ballpark number. If my cheap, set up gives velocities close to those publish figures, I call it close enough.
If my numbers are off, then I know not to believe it.
Simple....

Have seen plenty of rifles that vary 200+fps from published data, in rifle cartridges that get around 3000 fps even when using exactly the same components in the same barrel length. Have seen even more variation when changing bullets of the same weight, especially today when bullet construction can be far different than it was back when almost every bullet was a simple cup-and-core.

Then there's the effect of changing seating depth, different manufacturing batches of powder, etc.

I prefer knowing the muzzle velocity, not coming within 10% or so.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
753 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.