Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17258555 05/18/22
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Now affecting retail markets. Target down 25 per cent today on earnings. Wait til the labor market is hit then the commercial mortgage backed securities. This Biden "trasnsitory inflation" appears to be not so transitory.lol

We're in for fun times even though a good portion of the US populace is in denial mode

https://seekingalpha.com/news/38403...ail-sector?v=1652881142#comment-92367826

Mall stocks are reeling after Target drops a profitability bomb on the retail sector
May 18, 2022 8:23 AM ETTarget Corporation (TGT)BBWI, TJX, M, JWN, KSS, DDS, GPS, AEO, VSCO, URBNBy: Clark Schultz, SA News Editor37 Comments
Profit Rises 18 Percent At Target Corp
Scott Olson/Getty Images News

The mall store sector fell in early trading on Wednesday after Target (NYSE:TGT) rattled the sector by lowering guidance on "unexpectedly" high costs that were not passed on fully to consumers.

Target (TGT) was less profitable than anticipated and guided for weak operating margin. The retailer was hit by inventory issues (too early and too late), wage pressure at distribution centers, and an unfavorable merchandise mix. Meanwhile, TJX Companies (TJX) also warned of higher freight and labor costs with its earnings report.

Target (TGT) fell as much as 24% in the premarket session. With many earnings reports and guidance updates still due out in the retail sector, traders are jittery again on the near-term outlook.

Macy's (M) -5.82%, Nordstrom (JWN) -5.56%, Kohl's (KSS) -5.10%, Dillard's (DDS) -3.05%, Gap (GPS) -3.59%, American Eagle Outfitters (AEO) -3.48%, Victoria's Secret & Co. (VSCO) -3.77%, Bath & Body Works (BBWI) -4.25%, and Urban Outfitters (URBN) -1.99% all showed losses in the premarket session.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jason Miller -

In the consolidated statement of operations, I've highlighted the change in cost of sales and SG&A expenses. While total revenue rose 4.0% from last year, cost of sales spiked 10.4% and SG&A expenses rose 5.6%. The cost of sales makes this a supply chain story since those costs would include things such as truckload transportation, which as we know, has been at record levels. Likewise, higher prices for importing products would fall within this category.

•Looking within the "rate analysis," notice how the gross margin rate was down 430 basis points from last year. This is a massive drop and suggests consumers are buying a different basket mix. For example, more groceries and fewer electronics. This is why I keep stressing the key role of gross margin rate in shaping retailers' decisions.

Implication: for anyone who still questions why supply chain matters (after these past two years, I would seriously hope no one still has this question), watching Target's stock get crushed in pre-market trading this AM should make this point very clear.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great information. This is one of the reasons why I come here. Information from the trenches and not from some talking head on TV.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Time to be looking at the 'basic necessities' for investments.

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Teal
Implication: for anyone who still questions why supply chain matters (after these past two years, I would seriously hope no one still has this question), watching Target's stock get crushed in pre-market trading this AM should make this point very clear.

Azzholes like me hurting Walmart and FedEx #240 pounds of water softer salt at a time...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

#1,000 pounds of fertilizer last week... FREE shipping... cheaper than bulk... 3% rebate from Active Junky...

There is a paradigm shift occurring... pay attention folks... gonna get ugly.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Costco down over 9 per cent today. Huge drop for this company. And like target allowed to stay open in 2020.

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/COST

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The govt calculated CPI is nothing but pure propaganda horseshit.

The 8.5% is in reality about 3 times that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Retail sales are up 1% for the month of April according to the US Commerce Department even with adjusted for inflation at .3% on a monthly basis for April.

Cars, electronics, restaurants, etc.

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Retail sales are up 1% for the month of April according to the US Commerce Department even with adjusted for inflation at .3% on a monthly basis for April.

lol. and inflation is only 8 per cent according out govt too

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All about oil.

Period.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ribka

lol. and inflation is only 8 per cent according out govt too

True, ribka.

That was April but May will probably tell another story more in line with what you’ve posted.

Rough opening on the markets this morning.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Target is a 100b company that lost 1/4 value over night.

People have said "I'm just not buying"

SG&A and COGS are a reason, plus the purchase of only essential items like food and not a new TV. I'm betting food has a lower margin for them.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell
All about oil.

Period.

Not even close...

FAR MORE COMPLEX.

----------------------------

If you had said "Profit margins inverse... tied to labor... further impacted by energy costs... overseen by the ineptitude of .GOV"

...your comment would have had credence.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

SG&A and COGS are a reason, plus the purchase of only essential items like food and not a new TV. I'm betting food has a lower margin for them.

Costco appears to be just getting painted with the same brush because the one I’ve been in lately is packed with shoppers.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
HARD COMMODITIES... PHYSICALLY HELD

----------------------------------

In 2019 was much kinder and gentler...

"Stockpile primers, powder, ammo and bullets... just in case."

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
are people buying essentials like food or big screen tvs, paddle boadrs, furniture, jewelry and Mac books?

I see carts in my costco loaded up with just food. people are stock piling food now. all dog food sold out.

that aint a good sign lol.

Costco appears to be just getting painted with the same brush because the one I’ve been in lately is packed with shoppers.

Last edited by ribka; 05/18/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're in for fun times even though a good portion of the US populace is in denial mode.

It isn't that a good portion is in denial mode, it is that a good portion is totally ignorant of anything going on in this country beyond their little bubble.

They never watch any news.

They never even read any headlines.

They're on pinterest looking at craft ideas for Little Suzies birthday party and tiktok watching some stupid video of a cat jumping from a table to a couch, and taking Little Johnny to his t-ball practice, crying that gas is $5/gallon and that McDonalds won't pay them a living wage higher than the $15/hour they're paying part time help.

And then come election day, they're voting for whoever is telling the best story on how much they're going to give.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheesy
We're in for fun times even though a good portion of the US populace is in denial mode.

It isn't that a good portion is in denial mode, it is that a good portion is totally ignorant of anything going on in this country beyond their little bubble.

They never watch any news.

They never even read any headlines.

They're on pinterest looking at craft ideas for Little Suzies birthday party and tiktok watching some stupid video of a cat jumping from a table to a couch, and taking Little Johnny to his t-ball practice, crying that gas is $5/gallon and that McDonalds won't pay them a living wage higher than the $15/hour they're paying part time help.

And then come election day, they're voting for whoever is telling the best story on how much they're going to give.

The bigger problem is that they don't understand it even if they do read it.

Persistent, aggressive ignorance.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
are people buying essentials like food or big screen tvs, paddle boadrs, furniture, jewelry and Mac books?

I see carts in my costco loaded up with just food. people are stock piling food now. all dog food sold out.

that aint a good sign lol.

We took to a rice, greens, meat/venison/fish menu for the dogs a while back...

Do both... store bought dog food... AND the rice/greens/meat chow.

You will never guess what Miss Lilly SCB and Rex prefer...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The bigger problem is that they don't understand it even if they do read it.

Persistent, aggressive ignorance.

THAT... is "hit the nail on the head" stuff.

--------------------------------------------

Quite literally read a Fakebook post a month or two ago...

Paraphrase below...

"My 401k is down 20%... Inflation is up 20%... so at least I am even."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
171 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.