Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellers. Sepsis appears to be gone, but Dad will be on antibiotics for another week. The pancreas biopsy should happen tomorrow AM. Will be 2 days or so before we know the results. Doc told him he had one marker for cancer, but I remain optimistic that the mass/tumor will be benign because we have no history of cancer (pancreatic or otherwise) in our family.

I told him of all your prayers and well-wishes, which really lifted his spirits and he wanted me to make sure and thank y'all on his behalf. Many thanks from me as well.

I will post an update when we know the results of the biopsy.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Prayers on the way from me.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prayers sent !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Prayers up.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dad had a biopsy of the mass in this pancreas performed yesterday. The procedure went well. Unfortunately, it is malignant. We are awaiting the pathology in order to determine the type and stage, which will take several days, but its inoperable at the moment b/c the tumor is wrapped around or too close to an artery. The preliminary plan is to shrink the tumor w/ chemo &/or radiation, then surgery to remove. Survival rate is very low depending on several factors. Time will tell.

I am trying to figure out a way to move back to Dallas so I can be here to help and support my folks. With the price of real estate here, that will be very difficult.

Hopefully, they will send him home today or tomorrow. Nothing more they can do until we have the results of the pathology.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/10/22.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Very sorry to hear of this news. Continued prayers from N.C.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Prayers incoming. Could use a first name.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Prayers sent

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Prayers sent. I hope your dad gets well.

Home Of The Mollies
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
prayers sent from idaho!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dad's home now and cantankerous as ever. Can't say I blame him. I know he is depressed about the whole situation - staring his own mortality in the face. It's gonna' be a rough ride for all of us. I just hope he doesn't waste away like so many with pancreatic cancer.

I'm trying to keep calm and help both my folks as much as possible.

Apparently there are several new targeted therapies/immunotherapies which supposedly are not as invasive as standard chemo, but he will need gene testing to determine which might work in his case.

I will update as soon as we get the pathology results and the oncologist develops a course of action that will extend his life without totally ruining his quality of life.

Pancreatic cancer seems to only have an 11% chance of survival/cure, based upon my preliminary research. Not good.

Thank you all for all your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/10/22.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plumbum
Prayers incoming. Could use a first name.
Richard. Thank you.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Met with the oncologist today. Bad news. Dad is supposed to start chemo on Tuesday of next week and it is the least invasive and least effective of the 3 choices - since he won't be able to tolerate the multi-drug chemo. I believe the chemo drug the doc wants to use is called Gemcitabine. Then, if he responds well, maybe radiation - all in an effort to shrink the tumor (currently inoperable) which is encasing his superior mesenteric vein & artery so that it can be surgically removed. There's only a 10% chance any of this will work. Doc said that more than likely, his entire pancreas will have to be removed if he's successful at shrinking the tumor away from the superior mesenteric vein & artery. Doc gave him 2-4 months if he does nothing and 1+ yr. if he goes on chemo, which I don't quite understand if the chemo regimen only has a 10% chance, at most, of working.

I asked about Ivermection, and although the oncologist didn't ridicule the idea, he said that there's no chance it will work and that no scientific study supports the efficacy of Ivermectin's use against cancer. He also cited that many, many people have harmed themselves by taking Ivermection and he advised against it ,which is pretty much the answer I suspected he would give. Dad want's to take it, so I will order him a bunch of horse paste tomorrow. I plan to give it to him 3x/wk.

On another note I've started cleaning up around here. Dad is a bit of a hoarder and there's crap everywhere. Not as bad as the TV shows, but a lot of stuff piled up. There's a lot to do. I started to clean and organize the workshop, for the hundredth time. Cleaned the garage, started detailing his car, though he shouldn't drive anymore and a bunch of other stuff.

He was very mean to Mom today. I understand the frustration he must surely be feeling, but there's no reason for him to treat her that way - especially when she has been his caregiver for the last many years. We're trying to be as patient and understanding as possible.

Last edited by High_Noon; 05/17/22.

- Del Gue
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’m praying for all of you. May the Lord touch you all and settle His peace in your hearts.

Numbers 6:24-26
The Lord bless you and keep you; 25 the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; 26 the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you.

- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn. I a, sorry for what your family is going through. Prayers for strength, calmness, and healing.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You definitely have my prayers from the PNW.

To you High Noon….I’ve read your posts through the years and I’ve developed a deep respect for you and your honesty. From your divorce and custody to the love you have for your daughter, your dad and your family in general I think you and I would get along great if we weren’t 2000 miles apart. You’re a good man and your family is lucky to have you. You and your family will be in my daily prayers. I’m sure that if you can swing it your mom would sure appreciate your help, presence and muscle…..if this goes the way that your gut is telling you then every second spent with your parents during this difficult time will be priceless for you in the future. Hopefully your dad won’t be a tough patient but most men from that generation are, they don’t like feeling helpless and I don’t blame them but hopefully your mom doesn’t get the brunt of it.

God bless You and Your Family Sir!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear that, prayers for you all.

My dad was mean sometimes at his end. I don't think he even realized what he was doing.

He was hard on my sister, she would just leave. I told him to ease up on her or he would be looking after himself alone. He acted like he didn't know what I was talking about.

Its not easy dealing with sick parents. Make sure everyone that's involved with caring for him gets a break, yourself included. Being a caregiver has been the hardest thing I've ever done.

God bless you all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prayers from Michigan are on the way!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Times like this, it seems the family needs more prayers than the patient....

My prayers is for this to be as easy on all involved.. patient and family...

and strong prayers for a positive outcome, because odds can always be beaten.. even if it is just a stroke of luck...

my time working in a military Hospital, I've seen patients come in and have been told by doctors that they have cancer and have 3 to 6 months left on this earth...

they told the Doctor " Sir F.U.... I ain't ready to die"... 3 to 6 months later, instead of being buried they are walking out of the hospital and the cancer is all gone.... I believe the greatest cure for cancer is attitude of the patient....

I've seen other times where a patient comes in and is told he has cancer but it is very treatable... but the patient freaks out and 90 days later is dead.

I also became a big believer in the fact that one's fate was predetermined by God before they were even born.

no shortage of prayers at my house for the best outcome possible for this...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.