Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Leaving in the morning for my place in NE WI for round 2 of my WI spring turkey hunting. Still haven't patterned, or even fired, the SX4 20 gauge yet, too much life happening at the moment! So the 870 will once again be pressed into service, which really isn't a bad thing. The extended weather forecast for the week looks like crap, but that's what the rain suit and rubber knee high boots are for. To everyone still out at it, good luck and be safe out there!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hadn't looked at the extended forecast until now - looks like we're going to go from cold/wet spring to upper 80's in short order. eek Get that big gobbler taken care of Wednesday and you'll be golden.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Good luck! My spring season is over, so I live through y’all. Hopefully another good story coming soon.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
good luck

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Well... no last minute bird... or first minute bird either! Lol! Heard gobbling, saw birds out in fields, but nothing in front of me. One morning I slipped into a meadow in one corner of my property extra early and was set up by 4:30 at the base of my favorite apple tree. There's a well used roosting area about 100 yards from the meadow and a lot of times birds fly down into the meadow and then peck their way out to the fields beyond. As the woods began to wake up, I was hoping to hear some gobbling from the roosting area. Did hear gobbling to the West and South of me, but nothing from where I was hoping to hear it. Then I started hearing hen's making tree yelps from the roosting area and thought, okay, just a matter of time now. Still nothing! Then, a loud putt right behind me as the tom dropped to the ground out of a tree within 50 feet of me and walked straight away from me keeping the tree between us. About 80 yards away, and out of sight, he started gobbling. Oh well, the best laid plans... That pretty much sums up the hunt, birds close, but nothing in front of me. Another time I snuck up to a field edge that had a bunch of birds in it, both toms and hens. They were pecking their way someplace and were maybe 150 yards out in the field. No strutting by the toms, no response at all to any of my calling, just pecking and walking.

After a couple days of nothing, I walked the property to see if any morels had started to pop up as the weather had gotten pretty warm. No morels either at the time, but I did find a turkey nest, so I slipped back out of the area hoping I didn't disturb the hen too much.

It's always nice to get out into the woods on a hunt, but I still haven't found a recipe that I like for tag soup! Haha!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And I found a booner of a shed, had to put a 3" 20 gauge shell next to it to show its size!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 05/17/22. Reason: add pictures

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
That pretty much sums up the hunt, birds close, but nothing in front of me.

Sounds like pretty much my whole season. It's still better than working. Nonetheless, you did bag a nice one earlier. So congrtats on that.

Now all the turkey hunting gear is on sale. Good time to pick up things you might want for next season.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry for the luck you had but it is still cool that you got to play the game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need to hang a stand where you found that shed !!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Actually found the shed, literally, directly under one of my stands out there! Lol! My timing was off for that one too!

NRA life member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What is it they say "better never than late"

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Too bad you didn’t get another chance, but looks like you had a good time.

By the way, I was able to use that vest you sold me. I really like the simplicity of it and I’m replacing my Nomad with it. Sometimes less is more!

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Great to hear about the vest Jstocks! Glad it's being used and yes, I like a simple vest...

NRA life member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.