Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Just put out on the rack today at my local gun shop is a Remington 700 Stainless BDL (with bottom metal) Varmint Model in caliber 204 Ruger.
I did NOT have my bore scope along to check the barrel but the bolt face of the Rifle appears to have little wear and NO damage from blown primers etc.
The Rifle has a 26" stainless heavy barrel and a cheapish Remington "tupperware" stock with Remington butt pad. The wide forearm ventilated stock does have three sling swivel studs to facilitate a Harris type bi-pod.
The crown of the muzzle shows no harm
The trigger was excellent and crisp.
The all stainless Varmint Rifle has a Cabelas matte black finish variable scope (4 to 16 power) with cool Du-Plex like reticle. It is mounted in two piece Leupold style bases and apparently Leupold rings (matte finished).
I would rate the Rifle at 95%+ condition overall with no obvious flaws. There is some very slight discoloration/scuffing (staining/dirt?) on the barrels muzzle end - I am not sure if this would clean off?
Now for the good part the Rifle is on consignment for $600.00! No sales tax in Montana!
I have heard of some amazing prices being paid for small bolt face Remington 700 stainless actions alone - so I think this is a very good deal.
If anyone is interested the shops phone number is 406-683-9844 Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Let me know if I can be of any help - I will be Varminting tomorrow (Thursday May 19th) so may NOT be able to get back to the shop tomorrow with my bore scope.
If I did NOT already own 9 heavy barrel Varmint Rifles in 204 Ruger caliber I WOULD own this one.
I have NO idea as to who owns this consigned Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
that is a pretty good deal. Some Remington actions sell for more than that.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wish you would have posted this yesterday because I was in Bozeman, I'm not going back anytime soon unless I hit the lottery and get my Rocky tag I've been waiting for 20+ years to draw

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Boatanchor: Dang I am sorry - but I am sure the Rifle/scope combo was not on the rack yesterday.
And a while ago I was called into town to help a friend with a chore and on my way home I stopped in the gun shop to make sure the barrel was 26" long - it is.
Tried the trigger again and it is VERY good/crisp.
But the "scuffing" on the stainless finished barrel was a little more pronounced than I originally opined/remembered. Forgot to get the barrel date of manufacture code and did not take my bore scope along!
Looks like rain tomorrow so Hunting may be off - and if it is still there I will bore scope the chamber and leades to the rifling.
Sorry I missed you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The proprietor of the store has to be irritated with the guy who keeps popping in and fondling a rifle he has zero intention of buying.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
cheterwy: You could NOT be more incorrect!
I just came from the "store" where I checked both the trigger pull with my trigger pull gauge and the condition of the barrel which looked fine to me.
The trigger pull was an extremely crisp 3 pounds 14 ounces - the owner of the "store" witnessed this pull test and now he can relay that info to prospective buyers.
Then as I was doing the trigger testing I noticed that the trigger had an exposed Allen screw for adjustment. I looked closer and the stainless trigger also had a "ridge" running down the back of the trigger.
I asked the owner if the consignee had mentioned installing a custom trigger - he replied no. And he offered to take the Rifle apart for closer inspection of the Rifle - upon disassembly we both concluded it indeed was NOT a factory original trigger - it had a total of four adjustment screws.
I know Jewell triggers well and it was NOT a Jewell.
Back together the Rifle went and I mentioned to the owner he may be getting calls on the Rifle from folks I have informed about it - his thanks to me was sincere.
Over the past 20 years I have "helped" the owner sell AT LEAST 70 (seventy!) Rifles, pistols and shotguns to my friends and acquaintances as well as several fellow CampFirers!
Not counting the 50 (fifty!) or so I have bought from him over that time!
I am CERTAIN that he has and does appreciate my help.
Horrific winds here today and I may just have time on my hands and if I can I need to return to the local "store" and obtain that barrel date of manufacture code.
My advice to you is "don't make a public fool of yourself" by talking about a subject and people YOU know nothing about".
My advice is free just like my efforts to sell this good deal of a Rifle/scope/caliber to interested CampFirers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Stopped in just now to check the barrel date code and a customer was looking it over - he seems interested.
The barrel date code read "ED" or October 2,009 date of manufacturing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Despite a crappy stock, that’s a bargain.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
agreed.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Why didn’t you buy it?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Alwaysoutdoors: Like I mentioned in my original posting "I would have bought it but I already have 9 (nine!) heavy barrel Varminters in caliber 204 Ruger"!
I was in the shop day before yesterday and it was still there!
Tourist season is starting and I do not expect it to last much longer.
Long live the wonderful 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: The 204 Ruger Varmint Rifle in question has sold't!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I'm assuming you mean the Remington 700 in 204

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
That sounds like the X-mark trigger.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

They probably just put it in the back because they were tired of of fuggin’ with it. 😂😂

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
MWN: Yes that is what I said the "204 Ruger Rifle in question has sold't"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
chesterwy: You are indeed incorrect AGAIN - the Rifle was in the shop on consignment for just 14 or 16 business days and that was EASY (and quick!) money for my friend the shop owner!
Sheesh - is there something in the water down your way that affects one's brain?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Shoulda bought it. Sheesh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 43 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.