Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If primer pockets ever get cleaned on my brass, it has happened when I throw them in the tumbler, and the brass is sort of groddy so I put some mineral spirits into the media....

that shines up every thing if left over night, to include the primer pockets...

other than that I have never noticed any accuracy or inaccuracy contribution, one way or the other...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A complete waste of time IMO. Ranks right up there with barrel break-in.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You can clean primer pockets?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Thumblers tumbler works real well, cleans inside and out.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
I think it’s not necessary to clean primer pockets, though I have at times. I have a wet tumbler that cleans everything but I think that’s a PIA. I also have a vibratory cleaner and I have the same steel pins in it that are used in the wet tumbler, I like that more than the wet tumbler for most uses. The wet tumbler is the way to go with black powder cartridges cases IMO.

So just a basic walnut hull type tumbler but with dry steel pins?? I’ve wondered about that before but was unsure the vibratory element was strong enough to run the pins. If that’s what you use how deep do you fill the bowl? Thx

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Seafire, as far as you can tell do mineral spirits have any effect on the poly bowl of your tumbler? Do you concern yourself about clearing any leftover spirits from the inside of your cases? Thinking the dry pins Bugger uses along with a little wet solvent might be the best of both worlds. No functional reason to clean primer pockets I just like clean cases. Think it was Mule Deer that said pocket crud doesn’t accumulate in the space occupied by the spent primer; so the new primer is seated in clear territory as well. Or something to that effect.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I guess they get cleaned a little if I remove the GI primer crimp or throw them in the vibratory, otherwise never.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hanco
Thumblers tumbler works real well, cleans inside and out.
This !....
If you're going to wet tumble with pins anyway just decap first. Primer pockets will be as clean as all the other outside and inside like new brass.
One of the reasons I do wet, cuz personally I like clean stuff.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have done it both ways, clean and dirty, never could tell the difference. I picked up one of those ugly Lyman tabletop case prep machines a couple years ago, and one of the included tools was the primer pocket scraper that looks like a little flat blade screwdriver, so I started cleaning them again.

Only takes a second or two, can't hurt nothing, no big deal.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by shrapnel
One comment “it only takes 5 seconds” would add so much time to reloading, I wouldn’t have time to shoot for the time I would spend cleaning primer pockets…
Something else I do that i bet you dont is I thoroughly clean my rifles/handguns/shotguns (including the barrel) every time I get done shooting them and I also wash my truck every week or so, what can I say? I like to keep my stuff clean and I dont mind the little extra time it takes to keep it that way.....Hb

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I clean all mine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of the RCBS prep stations with a mouth brush, inside and outside mouth bevels, and primer pocket brush station. I've been using it every time on the brass that seems to carbon up more than others, in the sequence I use to debur and chamfer the inside and outside of the mouth, then the primer pockets. The whole process including the primer process takes about 5-10 seconds per case, but I don't load the quantities some of you do.

I do debur the inside of the primer flash hole on every new case as you only have to do it once on each case. That often takes me a bit more time but I feel it is an important step for that little incremental advantage and I think it gives a lot more consistency in ignition in my loads...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
One comment “it only takes 5 seconds” would add so much time to reloading, I wouldn’t have time to shoot for the time I would spend cleaning primer pockets…
Something else I do that i bet you dont is I thoroughly clean my rifles/handguns/shotguns (including the barrel) every time I get done shooting them and I also wash my truck every week or so, what can I say? I like to keep my stuff clean and I dont mind the little extra time it takes to keep it that way.....Hb

Your truck and guns won’t be any cleaner than mine, probably not as clean. Primer pockets are a different story. If you like to clean primer pockets, you are free to do so, but there is no way in the world you shoot as much as I do and clean primer pockets as you describe…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No way, I don't even clean my brass.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Your truck and guns won’t be any cleaner than mine, probably not as clean. Primer pockets are a different story. If you like to clean primer pockets, you are free to do so, but there is no way in the world you shoot as much as I do and clean primer pockets as you describe…
Yep, id say you do shoot more than me as I only shoot twice a month or so at maybe 40-50 rifle rounds per trip....So it aint so bad for me to clean primer pockets....Hb

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'd throw that hand deburring tool as far as I could chuck it.. Then I'd probably run it over with the lawn mower. I hate those fugging things..
Tell me more.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not something I've seen as helpful. So I don't do it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On rainy days when I have already numbered every bullet in the house and recorded its weight in a notebook, sorted all of the coins in the house by denomination and date, recorded every book in the house by (1) author, (20 subject, (3) number of pages, (4) color of cover, and (5) date of publication, arranged the pencils (after sharpening) in the pencil drawer by length, and completed a few less important chores, if I have any time left, I might clean primer pockets.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Never intentionally.
Sometimes unintentionally, when tumbling tarnished cases.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I clean, it’s just how I was taught, so I do it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

580 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,301
Posts18,449,049
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.