Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It looks like it has a dragon on it. I don't think it is a Lantac. Do you guys know who makes this one? Came on a new rifle I bought. Whoever had it before went to town with Mountain Tactical parts. From the picatinny rain, bolt handle, aluminum bottom metal. I am going to try it with the brake, without and then with a linear comp. Not a huge fan of muzzle brakes, so it may get sent down the road, unless it impresses me in some way..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kinda looks like Griffin Armament

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, that might be a Griffin. I was trying to think what the heck that was. Thanks. I'll research that.. Yep, looks like you are right. It appears to be their Gate lok hammer comp. Dang, it retails for almost $100.00. Shaking head here.. And I just put on a cheap azzed linear comp... Hmmm...

Gate lok hammer comp

Thanks for your help. Now I will know how to list it on ebay, if I decide to sell it..
I think he was running a suppressor on this rifle..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good looking setup....I like it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I just picked it up yesterday. Saw it a couple months ago. One of my buddies loves the 204 Ruger and he told me I better buy it. He was actually wanting a Tikka super varmint in 204, but he said they don't import them to the US. I shot the rifle this morning, it shoots almost moa with factory ammo. I am working on a quick bedding job right now. Should see if there is a difference this afternoon...

I was checking drop at different yardages this morning. It shoots real flat at 200 yards, but after 300, it starts dropping pretty fast. I'm going to load up some 40gr Vmax and those should do a little better further out..
Thanks again for letting me know who makes that brake. I think I'll leave it on there. It reduces recoil, even though the 204 doesn't have much. I'm hoping to get it to shooting like my $500.00 Tikka Varmint 22-250. When I bought that one, it supposedly "didn't shoot". This one is a little easier, since it has an aluminum bedding block.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks buddy. I just picked it up yesterday. Saw it a couple months ago. One of my buddies loves the 204 Ruger and he told me I better buy it. He was actually wanting a Tikka super varmint in 204, but he said they don't import them to the US. I shot the rifle this morning, it shoots almost moa with factory ammo. I am working on a quick bedding job right now. Should see if there is a difference this afternoon...

I was checking drop at different yardages this morning. It shoots real flat at 200 yards, but after 300, it starts dropping pretty fast. I'm going to load up some 40gr Vmax and those should do a little better further out..
Thanks again for letting me know who makes that brake. I think I'll leave it on there. It reduces recoil, even though the 204 doesn't have much. I'm hoping to get it to shooting like my $500.00 Tikka Varmint 22-250. When I bought that one, it supposedly "didn't shoot". This one is a little easier, since it has an aluminum bedding block.

What no more waiting 3 weeks to get your rifle anymore?? Bet you are loving Nevada’s gun laws😁

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a fella that shoots a 204 at our clubs 600yd midrange matches. He does real well with it, he only brings it out on nice calm days.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

What no more waiting 3 weeks to get your rifle anymore?? Bet you are loving Nevada’s gun laws😁
Hell yes buddy!!! Ha ha. I was looking at a 6 digit classic stainless yesterday for $850. It's borderline more than I want to pay and not quite the deal I generally get/find. They have had it for a few months. I can't believe this Tikka though. No one bought it and it was in the shop for 3 months as well. Everything I added up costs more than what I paid for the rifle. He even threw in 2 boxes of ammo for $50. Didn't charge me taxes or a background check. Well, I guess that was included in the "great deal" he was giving me? I pulled the mountain tactical rail off last night and listed it on ebay. I am using my steel CTR rail, as I like it better. I really like how the rifle feels, however I feel a little more comfortable behind my Tikka Varmint 22-250. Maybe because its heavier. This one still moves around pretty easily after the shot. I thought there would be no recoil at all and I'd be able to stay on target, but the barrel is only 20" long and a light profile. Did the old bang it up quick bedding job today. I'll probably shoot it again in the morning. I expect accuracy to improve a little bit, then it will be time for load development.
Pretty simple skim bedding job^^^ This was before I sanded the barrel channel to allow a better freefloat. The barreled action fits in there like a glove now.. It had a slight rock/roll like non bedded Tikkas have, but its all better now. I know I didn't have to, but it sure helps for longer shot strings and consistency. Guys I shoot against talk about how their rifles "walk" after the barrel starts heating up, I just nod my head and smile... ha ha.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
We have a fella that shoots a 204 at our clubs 600yd midrange matches. He does real well with it, he only brings it out on nice calm days.

I know I remember hearing you mention that before. That is quite a feat man. Kudos to him. I was actually surprised this morning that the wind did not affect the POI as much as I thought it would. I want to get this rifle to shooting 1" at 400 yards, then I'll see how it does at 600. If I feel like it will compete, I'll take it out, but it will have to really shine before that happens.. The rabbits at 611 yards would be a challenge with a rifle that does not shoot 1/2 moa or so..
Both of my CTR's shoot less than 1/2 moa at 600 yards, but the one that really surprises me is the 22-250 shooting the 53gr Vmax:

That's a rabbit killing sob right there..^^ I don't expect the little 204 to do that well. I was also surprised to see the 204 drop was the same as the 22-250 at 400 yards. After about that far, the 22-250 will smoke it..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice clean bedding job, looks good. And good shooting too. Have fun with it. I love my Tikka's

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, that might be a Griffin. I was trying to think what the heck that was. Thanks. I'll research that.. Yep, looks like you are right. It appears to be their Gate lok hammer comp. Dang, it retails for almost $100.00. Shaking head here.. And I just put on a cheap azzed linear comp... Hmmm...

Gate lok hammer comp

Thanks for your help. Now I will know how to list it on ebay, if I decide to sell it..

I use Anderson uppers and lowers. I really don't find any major advantage with expensive YHM or Spyder parts.
If you wanna bust some extra bucks, get a nice Giselle (sp?) trigger. That and a decent scope and maybe a better grade of barrel.
I've got a $58 barrel that shoots lights out! 😉
But when it comes to pieces parts, gas blocks, flash suppressors, etc, I ALWAYS check out the bargain bins.
I won't touch (another!😖) UTG/Leeper scope, but I do like their stocks, foreends and other bits and pieces.

I'll admit it! I'm a cheapskate...tightwad....miser....but my AR's shoot and FFF just fine.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wow

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jc189
Nice clean bedding job, looks good. And good shooting too. Have fun with it. I love my Tikka's

Thanks jc. I like tinkering with my rifles. I've never been on the 204 Ruger band wagon. Its going to take a lot to impress me. I know the fn barrel heats up pretty fast, but sent these out the pipe nice and hot. I know TWR wouldn't want to stick his hand on that sucker:

Not perfect conditions and the damn slick azzed bench doesn't help. Too many guys on the 100 yard range today, so I shot the long range. It kind of sucks because you have to shoot downhill on the targets. I damn near though about getting down in the prone, since the bipod doesn't slip on the cement, but it does on the slick steel.. Got her done though:

320 yards. Dialed 2 moa up. I think that was about right. I thought maybe a head shot, but I probably would have missed. Don't know this rifle well enough.. I would have done it with my 22-250. Then these came out too. I saw it fly down toward the target after my last shot, put my rifle away, drove down to the targets and took its picture:
That would have been an easy head shot at 200 yards.. ha ha.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

Gate lok hammer comp

I use Anderson uppers and lowers. I really don't find any major advantage with expensive YHM or Spyder parts.
If you wanna bust some extra bucks, get a nice Giselle (sp?) trigger. That and a decent scope and maybe a better grade of barrel.
I've got a $58 barrel that shoots lights out! 😉
But when it comes to pieces parts, gas blocks, flash suppressors, etc, I ALWAYS check out the bargain bins.
I won't touch (another!😖) UTG/Leeper scope, but I do like their stocks, foreends and other bits and pieces.

I'll admit it! I'm a cheapskate...tightwad....miser....but my AR's shoot and FFF just fine.
I'm a cheap azz too. I like keeping my money in my pocket. Every gun I buy is an investment. I DO NOT lose money on any of them. When I buy a rifle with a $450 stock, upgraded bolt handle ($75.00), nice Griffen Armament muzzle brake ($100) and upgraded aluminum bottom metal ($150), I'm not going to complain one bit. Oh, and the mountain tactical rail I pulled off and will later sell. That's all a bonus. Also, on the subject of ar's, you don't need a Geiselle trigger on an AR. Try one of RRA's 2 stage varmint match triggers that you can buy most days for less than $80. I don't skimp on barrels and bolts when it comes to AR's. There may also be some really cheap AR's out there that will outshoot mine, but I have not personally seen them..

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 204 is one of my favorite rounds that started life with me hating it. The 32 grain bullets sucked for my uses but the 35 grain Bergers made me like it and the 40 grain Bergers made me love it. Try some Nosler 40's as well when you get a chance but depending on the twist, some guns won't shoot them.

Mine of course is a Kimber Montana and I wish it shot as good as that Tikka does there, Mines more MOAish but as many guns as I have that are MOAish, maybe it's me...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
The 204 is one of my favorite rounds that started life with me hating it. The 32 grain bullets sucked for my uses but the 35 grain Bergers made me like it and the 40 grain Bergers made me love it. Try some Nosler 40's as well when you get a chance but depending on the twist, some guns won't shoot them.

Mine of course is a Kimber Montana and I wish it shot as good as that Tikka does there, Mines more MOAish but as many guns as I have that are MOAish, maybe it's me...

Thanks for the suggestion and sharing your experience buddy. I just ordered a drop tube for my uniflo. I knew that was going to happen. I modified one of my small ones, but I want a correct one. Set up the die set for minimal run out. The best I could do is .005" max TIR. Most fell in the .002-.003" range. You'd be surprised at what the runout was/is on the factory Fiocchi 32gr Vmax loads. The worst one was .011" and the best was .002". I stopped checking them after looking at 10. I guess that is not surprising for factory loads. I'm thinking my handloads will shoot better. Hopefully more consistently, but we will see. Decided to give CFE223 a try. As I drove home from the range, I was thinking to myself that I don't really have a use for the 32gr loads. The reason I bought 3 boxes of the 40gr Vmax bullets. I will definitely remember to keep an eye out for those Bergers and Noslers. Funny thing is a while back I found some Nosler varmagedon's for my buddy. They were on clearance at Walmart for $13/box. I couldn't pass that deal up and my buddy really appreciated it. I hear you about your Kimber. Those super light weight rifles are tough to shoot. This Tikka still needs a new trigger spring to lighten up the pull. It is the first Tikka that has needed that. I have not touched it with the trigger pull gauge, but I'm thinking it is about 3 pounds. On a fairly lightweight rifle, I like something closer to 2 pounds. I'm going to pull the spring out and have a look at it. Not going to pay $10 for a new spring though. That is ridiculous.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m using TAC with both the 35’s and 40’s but I just found a load that worked good for me and started killing coyotes with it.

I shot the 40 grain Vmax factory ammo when I first got the rifle and there’s nothing wrong with the bullet or the load. I think I got 37something on the chronograph and it killed coyotes just like my 22-250 did. I shot these 3 shots with the 40 grain Vmax and went and bought more of it to get started.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m using TAC with both the 35’s and 40’s but I just found a load that worked good for me and started killing coyotes with it.

I shot the 40 grain Vmax factory ammo when I first got the rifle and there’s nothing wrong with the bullet or the load. I think I got 37something on the chronograph and it killed coyotes just like my 22-250 did. I shot these 3 shots with the 40 grain Vmax and went and bought more of it to get started.

Not bad. Have you tried that Fiocchi stuff? I think Scheels has it for $42/box of 50 rounds. I know, we handload our own, but I could not find brass anywhere around here and the guy at the shop sold me 2 boxes for $50.00. I went back for another 2 boxes, since he gave me such a good deal on it. I told him I didn't expect that kind of deal on the ammo again, since he was giving me a stellar deal for buying the rifle from him. I said Sheel's sells it for $42/box, but I don't want to drive to Reno! He said, "I can do that". Cool!! Now I have a little brass and some 40's already worked up. The wind is blowing like hell today though. The 40 Vmax has a bc of .275, which I found interesting. My favorite 53gr Vmax I use in my 22-250's has a bc of .290 and it does damn well, considering.. As for powder, I will give TAC a try too. JB dotes on the stuff, or I should say he likes it in the 204 Ruger..

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I haven’t tried any other factory ammo since I bought this first stuff. At that time brass was unavailable as was most everything else.

I put the 204 right up there with the 22-250 in factory form anyway, my 1/8 twisted 22-250AI Montana is a different story.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

Not bad. Have you tried that Fiocchi stuff? I think Scheels has it for $42/box of 50 rounds. I know, we handload our own, but I could not find brass anywhere around here and the guy at the shop sold me 2 boxes for $50.00. I went back for another 2 boxes, since he gave me such a good deal on it. I told him I didn't expect that kind of deal on the ammo again, since he was giving me a stellar deal for buying the rifle from him. I said Sheel's sells it for $42/box, but I don't want to drive to Reno! He said, "I can do that". Cool!! Now I have a little brass and some 40's already worked up. The wind is blowing like hell today though. The 40 Vmax has a bc of .275, which I found interesting. My favorite 53gr Vmax I use in my 22-250's has a bc of .290 and it does damn well, considering.. As for powder, I will give TAC a try too. JB dotes on the stuff, or I should say he likes it in the 204 Ruger..

Buy some of that Nosler 222 mag from shooters pro shop for $45 a 100 neck it down. I will keep an eye out for you on brass and bullets. Pretty sure the 3 bears by us has 204 bullets priced cheap. I know during Obama reign all you could find up here was 204 ammo (this was after sandy hook 2012) Well not a lot of 204 shooters up here. I think at the time you cold even get AR barrels in the 204. I mentioned this before I really need to hunt down a Remington SA prefer a Winchester SA PF, 2ith a 223 bolt face send it off get a 26inch 1-7 twist barrel screwed on have the chamber cut to shoot the 88 ELD-M. Also be able to feed those 88's from the magazine. Those boys in you shoot with in Nevada wouldn't know what to think. Be one hell of a F-class rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.