Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Here is an issue that hasn't been discussed, that is actually a minor issue, if you use a dual illuminated model RMR.

Red dot RDSs have a red coating on the lens that filters out red light, buit green light will come through. It also allows for the red dot to be reflected on the glass so the shooter can seer it. Light coming through the glass has a green hue.

RDSs with a green dot have a green coating on the front lens that filters out green light, but red and amber light will come through. Light coming through that glass has a reddish hue.

If you want back up iron sights that co witness with the RDSs dot, and you still want to be able to see the glow of the tritium in the front sight through the RDS glass, then the colors of the dots on the RDS and the front sight need to be different. On my G17 with a green dot RMR, the front sight tritium green glow is completely filtered out buy the green coating on the front of the RMR. In low light, I only see the front sight tritium as I bring my pistol up, but once it goes in front of the RMR lens, that green glow is filtered out and I pick up the green dot of the RMR. I never even thought about this when I went with the dual illuminated RMR with a green dot and thought it might be a disadvantage. But I came to appreciate not being distracted in low light situations by seeing two green dots.

So it you want to see the glow of the tritium in the front sight through your RDS window, pick a color that is opposite of the color of the coating on the RDS lens. If you have a green coating, go with an amber front sight. If your have a red coating, go with a green front sight.

It's too bright in this pic to see that the front tritium glow is filtered out, but it is. Completely. In the pitch dark, I can scarcely see the glow of the front sight through my RMR lens.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Am I reading you right that it might be easier to say if you have a green front sight, go with the green dot? Or if you have the green dot, go with a green front sight?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have a green tritium dot on the front sight, and an RDS with a green dot, you will not be able to see the light from the green tritium front sight through the RDS lens. If you have green tritium dot on the front sight, and an RDS with a red dot, you will be able to see the light from the green tritium front sight through the RDS lens.

If you want to see the light from the front sight through the RDS lens, then the two can't be the same color or the RDS lens will filter out the light from the front sight. A green dot RDS will filter out the green front sight light. So if you want to see the front sight light through the RDS lens, you have to go with an amber front sight.

If you want to see the front sight light through the lens of a red dot RDS, then you can use amber or a green front sight.

Look at the color of the coating on the front of the RDS lens. Whever color it is, that's the color light hat gets filtered out. So you have to use a different color not to get filtered out.

I'm not sure this is problem, but it is a phenomenon not many people give thought to. I didn't. When I looked through my green dot sight at my front sight in the dark, no light from the green tritium was making it through the lense of my sight.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Interesting but I've never been able to see any of my front sights through the tinted lenses. When I say see them I mean they don't glow so the last one I had had a plain black Dawson front, I tried red FO's and Green FO's, they just didn't pop for me.

That left me back to working on the real problem, indexing from the draw. I got it worked out pretty well then had to shoot WHO and was lost as a goose. There needs to be some sort of way to line things up as you pick up the pistol with your peripheral vision as you do irons. The big red circle that gives you a hint of where you're at might be the ticket. But the most useful tip I got was drop the dot into the rear sight, it's almost always high. Funny that I and seems everyone else has the dot just out of the top of the window. That's how it was on my 686, my Glocks, my Ruger MK4 and my Buckmark.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is exactly what I experienced at 1st, muzzle to high. I even swapped out batteries before I figured it out.

Romans 5:1
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is a Ruger Max 9 with a Romeo 0
This is sited in at about 10 yd. It has a green fiber optic tube for the front site and the dot in the Romeo just disappears in the front site basically when held correctly to iron sight. But then gives the ability to be held a little high low whatever and know where your bullets going

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by ldholton; 05/18/22.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
They are invaluable but there is a learning curve to using them if you want to use your handgun to potential.

If you're a casual shooter they will give you a false sense of expediency when you use them to zero, shoot a target (slowly), or plink empty cans. That all goes to schit the first time you try to kill something that isn't going to stand still for very long. Or you don't get your draw and presentation to where it needs to be for the red dot to be effective.

Most decent transition courses are about 16 hours. 16 minutes on the back forty usually don't cut it in my experience.

Well got paid today from my dump job, was able to get my hi point out of layaway. Well I still had a little scratch left over so splurged and got a Keior Tactical RMR Red Dot Sight for $36 bucks. Deflave I promise you I will work my tail off to be super proficient with this set up.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I have the same thoughts as Massad Ayoob:

Thoughts on Carry Optics

9/12/2021

A growing trend in defensive handguns, from police service pistols to armed citizens’ concealed carry guns, is “carry optics”: compact red dot sights. I have three such in-house right now, all 9mms: a Langdon Beretta 92 LTT with Trijicon SRO, a Wilson Combat Glock 19 with Trijicon RMR, and an LTT Springfield Armory Hellcat with Holosun 407K.

Good news: You can see more target area around the red dot aiming index, better allowing you to see what’s happening at the target. Many shooters find the red dot improves accuracy. You can focus on the target and see the aiming dot simultaneously.

Bad news: Gotta keep that glass clean and fog-free. Anything battery-dependent is a concern. There is added bulk: appendix carry is popular with these guns because the broad surface of the abdomen gives more room to discreetly conceal the shape of a now “taller” pistol.

Carry optics on a handgun have a significant learning curve. Unlike a long gun, there’s no anchor point at the shoulder nor cheek index on the comb of a stock to help align eye with the red dot and the target.

I’m kinda like a cat chasing a laser beam: I have trouble catching the red dot. Thus, while I appreciate the advantages of a red dot, I’m still not as fast with it as I am with the iron sights to which I’ve been so long habituated.

Readers, give me some input. Tell me what you think of the concept, and let me know how much time you have working with them, and what type.

https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/thoughts-on-carry-optics/

----------------------

RDSs require a lot of shooting to develope a consistent presentation that allows you to catch the dot immediately. If you think you have a good presentation using iron sights, an RDS will quickly show you that it may not be as good as you think. An RDS will amplify a less than optimal presentation. In fact, you don't even need to shoot to practice this. You can develope the skill without pulling the trigger. But quickly reacquiring the dot after the first shot needs to be developed, too, which will require shooting.

The fogging issue is something a lot of people don't consider. Get out of an air conditioned car you've been in for awhile on a hot, humid day and you will immediately find your RDS lens occluded with fog. And there isn't a product out there that is truly effective at stopping it. Some people say getting a fogged lens is an avoidable problem. But in an emergency, I suspect it's not wise to tell your assailant to hold off until your RDS warms up a bit. Learning how to shoot with an occluded (or non-functioning) RDS is wise. Water on the emitter can also screw up the dot, even if the lens is basically clean.

I'm a bit ambivalent about RDSs on defensive handguns. They have advantages and shortcomings. Increased accuracy at longer ranges isn't even worth debating, RDSs simply are better. But I'm neither an operator nor a cop. I don't plan on getting into long running gun battles with anyone at long ranges. At very short ranges, I suspect the type of sights matters a lot less. Whatever you choose, you better shoot it a lot. There is no substitute for practice. A guy with an RDS on his gun whop doesn't practice is at a serious disadvantage to a guy with irons who does, regardless of range.

An RDS on a hunting handgun makes a lot of sense. Where one is taking their time to make the first shot count.

Massad Ayboob continues to amaze.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S
They are invaluable but there is a learning curve to using them if you want to use your handgun to potential.

If you're a casual shooter they will give you a false sense of expediency when you use them to zero, shoot a target (slowly), or plink empty cans. That all goes to schit the first time you try to kill something that isn't going to stand still for very long. Or you don't get your draw and presentation to where it needs to be for the red dot to be effective.

Most decent transition courses are about 16 hours. 16 minutes on the back forty usually don't cut it in my experience.

Well got paid today from my dump job, was able to get my hi point out of layaway. Well I still had a little scratch left over so splurged and got a Keior Tactical RMR Red Dot Sight for $36 bucks. Deflave I promise you I will work my tail off to be super proficient with this set up.

I see baby seal meat in your future.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Some thoughts for you monkeys before I roll out this morning:

Don't fall for the trap about speed and irons vs speed and dot sights as it applies to close distance. I fell in this trap with my first couple forays into optics on defensive handguns and it's a fallacy. The site does not make you slower. You are making you slower because you're not learning. You're reverting.

When you figure out the correct presentation you will find that the dot being somewhere else is because you are not gripping and presenting your pistol correctly. This is something that you're not seeing with irons and it's the cause of a lot of your "What the fugks" when you head downrange and look at targets. If your grip is pushing left, the dot will tell you. If your grip is pushing things right, the dot will tell you. If you're heeling, the dot will tell you. If you're sending rounds south of the intended target because you're pushing the gun at the apex of your draw, the dot will tell you. The dot will tell you by not being there when you hoped/thought it would.

To save range time and money (or do it at the range if you want) put a holster on and set your timer with a par time that suits you. If you're a one shot, 2 seconds, from the 7yd line guy with irons, then set your par time to 2 seconds. Gun should come straight up and out while your support hand moves toward the center of your chest. When they meet, slide the gun toward the target. Don't bring your head down. Don't lean forward. Don't "blade" toward the target. Just stand there, draw with both hands in motion, and push the pistol toward your target while keeping the top of the slide parallel to the deck. Trigger should be breaking with the dot on what you want to hit as the par time beeps.

Do this 10,000 times and reduce your par times accordingly.

Once you get your old bullschit out of the way (this will happen because not seeing the dot is going to fix you) you are ready for some range time. While on the range use an iron equipped handgun that you've proven effective with. Run some drills with it, run some drills with the dot. If your dot is still slower you're doing something wrong. This is due to your not listening to Flave's previous writings. Listen to Flave.

If things are where you want them to be, reserve some ammo for 25 and 50 yard shooting. You may find that your par time at the 5yd line somehow became the same at the 25yd line. Your brain will whisper something like "holy fugk, Flave really is God." While that may be true the reality is that the dot is simply allowing you to do what you've always been capable of doing. It's doing this by showing you what's wrong with you. It's showing you by disappearing until you get it right.

If your optic equipped handgun came with irons that co-witness, great. But ignore the irons. Tape over them if you have to. If your optic equipped pistol did not come equipped with co-witness irons, leave it that way while you're learning. I find some of the worst advice you can give a guy is using the front or rear sight to assist with finding the dot. You're just keeping yourself in the same old rut. They are there in case the optic fails. Nothing more. Ignore them until you've mastered the dot. Which is really mastering your grip and presentation from the holster.

The issues of fogging, dirt, etc. have (in my experience) been moot. I live in what most would consider a mildly humid region and while there is a thin film of fog when you exit an A/C'd building or vehicle, it would in no way impair your shooting of a person that was in need of shooting. On most quality optics, you won't even know it's there.

Last but not least, when you read or hear about a person that claims competition shooting has no relevance to real world application of force, you are reading or hearing the words of a fugking idiot. While some types of gear, teaching points, and tactics may not be transferable to on-duty use of firearms, the vast majority of it is. When you reach regional, state, and national level champion type shooting, you are in the F1 world of handgunning. If those people make a separate classification for dot sights vs. irons, you can rest afugkingssured that they have determined the dot sight gives an advantage that irons cannot compete with. Shooters being comparable of course.

You're welcome,
Flave

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Don't fall for the trap about speed and irons vs speed and dot sights as it applies to close distance. I fell into this trap with my first couple forays into optics on defensive handguns and it's a fallacy. The site does not make you slower. You are making you slower because you're not learning. You're reverting.

When you figure out the correct presentation you will find that the dot being somewhere else is because you are not gripping and presenting your pistol correctly. This is something that you're not seeing with irons and it's the cause of a lot of your "What the fugks" when you head downrange and look at targets. If your grip is pushing left, the dot will tell you. If your grip is pushing things right, the dot will tell you. If you're heeling, the dot will tell you. If you're sending rounds south of the intended target because you're pushing the gun at the apex of your draw, the dot will tell you. The dot will tell you by not being there when you hoped/thought it would.

To save range time and money (or do it at the range if you want) put a holster on and set your timer with a par time that suits you. If you're a one shot, 2 seconds, from the 7yd line guy with irons, then set your par time to 2 seconds. Gun should come straight up and out while your support hand moves toward the center of your chest. When they meet, push out toward the target. Don't bring your head down. Don't lean forward. Don't "blade" toward the target. Just stand there, draw with both hands in motion, and push the pistol toward your target while keeping the top the slide parallel to the deck. Trigger should be breaking with the dot on what you want to hit as the par time beeps.

Once you get your old bullschit out of the way (this will happen because not seeing the dot is going to fix you) you are ready for some range time. While on the range use an iron equipped handgun that you've proven effective with. Run some drills with it, run some drills with the dot. If your dot is still slower you're doing something wrong. This is due to your not listening to Flave's previous writings. Listen to Flave.

If things are where you want them to be, reserve some ammo for 25 and 50 yard shooting. You may find that your par time at the 5yd line somehow became the same at the 25yd line. Your brain will whisper something like "holy fugk, Flave really is God." While that may be true the reality is that the dot is simply allowing you to do what you've always been capable of doing. It's doing this by showing you what's wrong with you. It's showing you by disappearing until you get it right.

If your optic equipped handgun came with irons that co-witness, great. But ignore the irons. Tape over them if you have to. If your optic equipped pistol did not come equipped with co-witness irons, leave it that way while you're learning. I find some of the worst advice you can give a guy is using the front or rear sight to assist with finding the dot. You're just keeping yourself in the same old rut. They are there in case the optic fails. Nothing more. Ignore them until you've mastered the dot. Which is really mastering your grip and presentation from the holster.

The issues of fogging, dirt, etc. have (in my experience) been moot. I live in what most would consider a mildly humid region and while there is a thin film of fog when you exit an A/C'd building or vehicle, it would in no way impair your shooting of a person that was in need of shooting. On most quality optics, you won't even know it's there.

Last but not least, when you read or hear about a person that claims competition shooting has no relevance to real world application of force, you are reading or hearing the words of a fugking idiot. While some types of gear, teaching points, and tactics may not be transferable to on-duty use of firearms, the vast majority of it is. When you reach regional, state, and national level champion type shooting, you are in the F1 world of handgunning. If those people make a separate classification for dot sights vs. irons, you can rest afugkingssured that they have determined the dot sight gives an advantage that irons cannot compete with. Shooters being comparable of course.

You're welcome,
Flave

Golf clap ....

Golf clap

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
1st off Flave is not God contrary to what he believes
Secondly, we'll written piece Flave. I've been practicing grip and presentation with gun unloaded picking out different objects around the house. It's becoming more natural. It's about bad habits. Sort of like archery form, if it's not consistent it'll show up on target

Romans 5:1
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Don't fall for the trap about speed and irons vs speed and dot sights as it applies to close distance. I fell in this trap with my first couple forays into optics on defensive handguns and it's a fallacy. The site does not make you slower. You are making you slower because you're not learning. You're reverting.

To save range time and money (or do it at the range if you want) put a holster on and set your timer with a par time that suits you. If you're a one shot, 2 seconds, from the 7yd line guy with irons, then set your par time to 2 seconds. Gun should come straight up and out while your support hand moves toward the center of your chest. When they meet, slide the gun toward the target. Don't bring your head down. Don't lean forward. Don't "blade" toward the target. Just stand there, draw with both hands in motion, and push the pistol toward your target while keeping the top of the slide parallel to the deck. Trigger should be breaking with the dot on what you want to hit as the par time beeps.

You're welcome,
Flave

Spot on

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
---snipped some good material so I can focus on the bullshlt--

Last but not least, when you read or hear about a person that claims competition shooting has no relevance to real world application of force, you are reading or hearing the words of a fugking idiot.

A blanket feucktard statement. The proverbial teaspoon of dogshlt in the brownies.

While some types of gear, teaching points, and tactics may not be transferable to on-duty use of firearms, the vast majority some of it is.
Fixed it for you.

--snipped low quality gibberish--.

You're welcome,
Flave

One hand clapping...

Last edited by dla; 05/20/22. Reason: Not enough vitrol
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
1st off Flave is not God contrary to what he believes
Secondly, we'll written piece Flave. I've been practicing grip and presentation with gun unloaded picking out different objects around the house. It's becoming more natural. It's about bad habits. Sort of like archery form, if it's not consistent it'll show up on target

1.) Yes I am.

2.) I don't need you to tell me I write well.

3.) Which holster are you using?

D.) Please don't compare pistol shooting to archery.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RyanTX

You're welcome,
Flave

Spot on

+1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dla
---snipped some good material so I can focus on the bullshlt--

Last but not least, when you read or hear about a person that claims competition shooting has no relevance to real world application of force, you are reading or hearing the words of a fugking idiot.

A blanket feucktard statement. The proverbial teaspoon of dogshlt in the brownies.

While some types of gear, teaching points, and tactics may not be transferable to on-duty use of firearms, the vast majority some of it is.
Fixed it for you.

--snipped low quality gibberish--.

You're welcome,
Flave

One hand clapping...

dla's epitaph should read "Just because you could shoot better than me, doesn't mean you could shoot better than me."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The red dot site is good if you live and carry and shoot in a clean environment, but if you work or live in a dusty environment, they are not wonderful, makes no differents what you use, if you know how to use it, if you don't know how it makes a differents. Rio7

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was buying a new XDm/G20 to hunt with, I might give a dot a tryout.

As it stands I hunt with more traditional stuff and I'm not hanging scopes/dots on them.

The guns I normally carry, an old J frame and an XD45 SC, get shot frequently. I'm comfortable with what I can do with them and fast or deliberate, they're just about autopilot.

Sooner or later one of the friends & family who shoot here will drag a dot-sighted pistol along and I'll give it a try.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RIO7
The red dot site is good if you live and carry and shoot in a clean environment, but if you work or live in a dusty environment, they are not wonderful, makes no differents what you use, if you know how to use it, if you don't know how it makes a differents. Rio7

Uh Rio, we have been successfully warring w/ illum type optics for 20+ years in dusty environments.

"flaves epistle to the serious shooters nailed it, even though written by a dog pecker gnat.

Learning new schidt will get ya killed on the streetgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
lvmiker, I'm not at war with anyone, what you say is true,they are not for me and i have tried them, my point is whatever works for you. the dog pecker CATFISH, is good at repeating what he has GOOGLED. he's never been close to a gun fight in his life. Rio7

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 53 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.