F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Teal,

"If deer hunters in the lower 48 were buying lever guns in such cartridges - Marlin would still be Marlin right now".

If Marlin had not been bought up by the Freedom Group, both Marlin and H&R would still be in business making the guns they were famous for. Instead they went right down the toilet with Remington.

To be bought - you had to be for sale. Why did Marlin and H&R sell? I'm wondering why a company would sell if they were making wood/blue lever actions with good margin and that was unlikely to change?

The word was, that Marlin sold out because the FAMILY wasn’t interested in running a business, anymore. They were interested in “cashing out”, so all the heirs could go build mansions/etc, without the hard work.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Teal,

Many things are sold when the owner is offered a price they can't turn down. As I was not involved with the sale/purchase, I can't say why it was done. Freedom Group was buying everything they could get their hands on at that time.

However, at the time of the sale I was working at H&R as a test shooter for the engineering dept. H&R had been bought by Marlin several years before I started there. The barrels for the rifles were being made by Marlin and shipped up to the H&R plant as rifled blanks. H&R was very profitable and was working on new products and improving their line of existing products. I was there when the employees at the plant were called in to the cafeteria and told they had been bought and would be moved to Ilion, NY.

Had that not have happened, H&R would still be in business. I see no reason Marlin wouldn't be as well. They were making the models and calibers everyone is so hot for today.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A 59 page manual. Amazing.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Teal,

"If deer hunters in the lower 48 were buying lever guns in such cartridges - Marlin would still be Marlin right now".

If Marlin had not been bought up by the Freedom Group, both Marlin and H&R would still be in business making the guns they were famous for. Instead they went right down the toilet with Remington.

To be bought - you had to be for sale. Why did Marlin and H&R sell? I'm wondering why a company would sell if they were making wood/blue lever actions with good margin and that was unlikely to change?

The word was, that Marlin sold out because the FAMILY wasn’t interested in running a business, anymore. They were interested in “cashing out”, so all the heirs could go build mansions/etc, without the hard work.
I remember reading that somewhere too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not too crazy about the stemmed peep sight. It will catch every vine and bramble in the woods.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Having used those sights on guns in brushy southeast Alaska, I can tell you it’s not an issue.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Ugly damn thing. If Ruger ever figures out how to make a lever gun of blued steel and walnut and that not everyone needs a gun for grizzlies, I might try one.
Marlin and then Remington sold every one of these they could make ,most at scalper prices.They will sell these like hot cakes also.

Last edited by Huntz; 05/18/22.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal,

Because the owner died and the kids weren't interested in running it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
Ugly damn thing. If Ruger ever figures out how to make a lever gun of blued steel and walnut and that not everyone needs a gun for grizzlies, I might try one.
Marlin and then Remington sold every one of these they could make ,most at scalper prices.They will sell these like hot cakes also.
Yup its the most in demand model

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
There's no accounting for poor taste.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still young enough to appreciate it. If I didn't already have the Guide Gun I'd have to have it

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by EdM
A 59 page manual. Amazing.
A general lack of common sense - amazing.
That said, the manuals are a way of lawsuit-proofing businesses. To an extent (as you well know, Ed)
It is disgusting to me that juries can be led, so easily, down "the primrose path" - and disabused of using their own common sense, in rendering a verdict.
Judges set the parameters, instead of common folks making a common sense decision.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm still young enough to appreciate it. If I didn't already have the Guide Gun I'd have to have it
The guide gun isn't a bad looking rifle. Still there are no grizzlies hereabouts so I have no use for one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just HOW MANY of us do they think needs a “bear gun”???

They are misdirected for sure. If they made that in 308 mx or 30-30 they would be on backorder for ten years

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I HAD one of those Marlin Dark 444's that I guess were intended to be "tacticool". Thing was ugly as sin with the black stock and forend looking as though they were simply matte black rattle canned. Only reason I bought it was when they were first announced I told a good friend who owns a LGS I wanted the first one he got and didnt want to go back on my word. He gave it to me at like $50 above his cost. Ended up never even taking it out of the box after I brought it home and last summer listed it on broker at a no reserve penny start sale. Ended up at I believe $1800 or some stupid number and I basically tripled my money!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hoping Marlin keeps the 30 cals on hold and does the 444 next

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Having used those sights on guns in brushy southeast Alaska, I can tell you it’s not an issue.

Just to be clear, the sights you use have an exposed stem?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hoping Marlin keeps the 30 cals on hold and does the 444 next

If you really cared about 444’s instead of being a poser, you would already own enough 444’s

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Teal,

That's happened/happening in every industry in
the US now. Places started by grandpa and taken
over by the son and grandson was being groomed
to take over are bought out by "investment groups "
and they install management that has no experience
in that particular field, but has that degree on the wall
I'm always reminded of the old television commercial
where the guy says " Gee boss, I always wanted to
fix a transmission. . . "
Lots of old time restaurants in this area are boarded
up or bulldozed because the kids didn't want to put
in the work that made dear departed dad so
successful.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like it, but I've got 50 years of great ideas, that weren't, behind me.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,208
Posts18,466,120
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.