Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I thought you were, but some on here have said the same thing, and not tongue-in-cheek.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Osky
At my age, 60’s, I’ve been hunting and guiding since a teen and I have never even considered a shot at something I could not see. I have had countless chances at client wounded animals as well and if I cannot put the hairs/sight on the spot I want to hit I don’t shoot.
This “sound shot” nonsense I used to hear about from guys around here in northern MN and it always made me cringe.
I am incredulous at how often I read about hunters doing this.

Osky

This takes "ALL" the guess work out of it!

Orange or not! Identify your Target or don't shoot!

Don't shoot at movement or noise, (sound)!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In semi- communist CA where we have more laws & rules than anywhere no orange required. One hunting buddy shot a deer bless than 40 yards from camouflaged son in law he never saw tucked behind a fallen log. Scared the daylights out of him. Deer died on the spot but could have run right past son in law. Poor communication one of the guys moved into a hillside that was occupied already by the other.

In Utah bow hunting elk in a ghillie suit firearm bear hunters with dogs chased a big bear my way - luckily he winded me & left. Would not have wanted shooting going on in that situation- thanked the hunters for reminding me I enjoyed being alive.

States can make hunting conditions safer with common sense rules. Shooting without identifying your target is unforgivable.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
He's not gonna get off. He told the deputy exactly what happened and his friend was right there and saw the whole thing. There's no doubt about what happened.

And given all that, he didn't make any friends with the DA or local community by trying to weasel out of what he did.

I doubt he will, nor should he. ....however when people are involved, especially 12. You never know.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ain't that the truth. Even on here where people should know better, some have tried to blame this on overlapping hunting seasons, or the bowhunter for not wearing orange.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
a real good attorney will get him off ,it just cost plenty money. don`t forget O.J. walked. there is an attorney in Minnesota that would get him off but it would be very expensive because he is one of the best in the country , he deals with Feds alot .
OJ spent a lot more than most of us have. He paid $1 mill to a legal team that specialized in jury selection. They guaranteed the client a jury that wouldn't convict no matter what the evidence. They did it using preemption in jury selection. They got a woman on the jury who would vote not guilty even if she'd seen him stab his wife in person.

The idea that a wealthy person can buy their own jury like that shows a big flaw in our legal system.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just wondering, whatever happened to the Pa. elk hunter that shot and killed a fella from West Virginia a couple of years ago?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He was charged with criminally negligent homicide. Looks like the trial is scheduled for June:

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...in-trial-for-shooting-death-judge-rules/

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
He was charged with criminally negligent homicide. Looks like the trial is scheduled for June:

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news...in-trial-for-shooting-death-judge-rules/
Thanks. I know of the shooters family.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just checked in on this, the trial was supposed to be this month but it's been moved back to October.

Apparently the defense plans to call witnesses that will testify that the shooter is a very experienced hunter who's passed on many bull elk that weren't trophy quality and isn't the kind of hunter that would get excited and shoot at movement in the brush.

And the shooter plans to testify that he watched a five point bull for 20 seconds before he pulled the trigger.

Thing is, right after it happened he told a deputy that he saw movement in the brush and took a shot. No mention of watching a five point bull.

Funny how that works.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the update

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/10/22.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The problem with mandatory orange is that an inexperienced hunter "might" assume that it is ok to shoot in the absence of orange. Others use the woodlands during hunting season and won't be wearing orange. It's an argument against mandatory orange that has been knocked around in several states. Presumably, by not mandating orange, it forces a hunter to make certain that his target is actually a game animal.

However, the idea is obviously not fool-proof.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
The problem with mandatory orange is that an inexperienced hunter "might" assume that it is ok to shoot in the absence of orange. Others use the woodlands during hunting season and won't be wearing orange. It's an argument against mandatory orange that has been knocked around in several states. Presumably, by not mandating orange, it forces a hunter to make certain that his target is actually a game animal.

However, the idea is obviously not fool-proof.

Not sure about that but the before/after fatality statistics in states including Colorado that required blaze orange as of a certain date pretty clearly show fewer fatalities and incidents after blaze orange was required.

Which doesn't reflect very well on the average Joe's ability to positively identify their target.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I watched Eastman’s Hunting show last night on a Colorado elk hunt. The host and the guide had not one piece of blaze orange on while the hunter was decked out in orange vest and cap per CO regs. So explain to me how that passes the common sense sniff test?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are you questioning the wisdom of the regs for not requiring it, or the host and guide for not wearing it anyway?

There's nothing that stops a non-hunter from wearing orange. If you read the CO brochure, they go out of their way to recommend everyone including non-hunters wear orange during gun seasons but there's no requirement. Which is about where they should be IMHO.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In case anyone is interested the trial for the shooter is going on right now down in Dove Creek. It's being live streamed on webex:

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/District/Index.cfm?District_ID=22

Scroll down a few lines, the trial is People vs Ronald Morosko and there's a link in blue.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I don’t believe a guide is required to wear orange in Colorado but the hunter is…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I watched the opening statements this morning. The day it happened the shooter told a deputy on scene that he and his partner were calling to bulls that were bugling and raking trees and coming in.

The DA showed a cell phone video of the bowhunter taken about 20 minutes before and a couple hundred yards from where he was shot. Couldn't really see it on the live stream video but it was described as the bowhunter blowing on a bugle and raking trees with the sound of bugles in the background. He was excited and going after the bulls you could hear in the background.

Pretty chilling stuff.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hunted with an Outfitter in Colorado (two actually) that required that the guides wear orange and carry a sidearm. There is no excuse for a gun hunter shooting a camp bowhunters, none!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
The problem with mandatory orange is that an inexperienced hunter "might" assume that it is ok to shoot in the absence of orange.

I talked to a guy one time who said he didn’t see any game but got a few “brush shots” while out hunting.

I asked him what a “brush shot” was and he said it is when you hear something in the brush and shoot into it.

The problem is not any law. It’s dumb fugks.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.