OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
First building is UP!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

#2 is coming in next Monday.

Final price went up to $13.70+/-

WHY?

The people that sell these buildings write the contracts (there is a small clause about astronomical materials cost increases). We contracted for two buildings back in January with an install of early May anticipated.

Our beloved son Rob took his own life in mid April. We spent months after that at the bottom of a whiskey barrel (I will write about that in another post, so please do not offer condolences/cross posts/bumps about that here... THANKS!).

Back to the buildings...

Steel prices went CRAZY over the summer. 2"x2" tube steel went from $1.80 per linear foot to $4.80 per linear foot.

The fabricator of these buildings asked for $3,200 extra per building. 95% of the people that had contracted for building walked away from the price increase... and cussed the hell out of the fabricator. We did not.

The original post says $10 per SF... that WAS an accurate number for a normal 14 gauge 5' on center basic building. BUT, I decided (after my original purchase)... to go stronger. I paid extra for 12 gauge steel and 4' centers... Lateral loads are 120 mph wind now vs. 85mph (?) before... Roof loading went from 12" of snow to 3 feet... or something there about. I plan to add 8' on center pallet racking on the interior (attached to the vertical ribs)... this will make the lateral load CRAZY STRONG. I will also add "kickers" from the pallet racking to the bottom chord of the truss. Until I run calculations I can only guess that that will provide a dead load strength stronger than any possible WV blizzard... I get back to y'all later with pictures and calculations.

Other costs... site prep was maybe $1k, form-work and concrete placement/finishing was under $2k... concrete was 24 yards and about $4k. Rebar and #10 WWM was about $600. Electrical panel, weather-head etc. will be well under $1k.

Finished turn key job is around $19.60 per square foot. This building is "Double Certified" on strength... that is an actual term derived from the 12 gauge steel at 4' centers.

If I spent $150 on plywood, studs, shingles and paint to build a 3' x 3' doghouse... that would be $16.67 per square foot.

Truth in advertising... a tube steel metal building is NOT a premium product. Someone bragging on this product is kinda like someone bragging on T1-11 siding on their garage... or Formica countertops... or Pergo flooring... or a Chevy Camero with a 4 cylinder engine.

I describe my building as K-Mart grade that has been "Deluxe-ified" to my needs. That OK... I am satisfied.

Install crew was AMAZING... 4 illegal Mexicans... they worked so efficiently it was almost like watching ballet. Super nice guys... LOVE AMERICA...

These 4 guys could outwork any 8 white guys I have ever hired.

By 9:26 AM they had the rim joists down and half of the ribs up. By 10:02 AM, they had the front and back walls and ALL of the ribs up and plumb. By 4:30 PM the building was complete except for some trim and the 12' x 12' roll up door.

Not once did they stop... no lunch, no cell phones, no smoke breaks... they were like robots... I have run hundreds of millions of dollar of construction projects in my life... but NEVER seen anything like this... EVER. Hell, they even snapped chalk lines to make sure screws were aligned... and screw heads plumb and square.

Bottomline... we are doing two 30' x 48' buildings and a few cabins this year (hopefully). Pictures below are the various sites on our mountain... the work is satisfying and a hell of alot better for me than a whiskey barrel.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D3EVwsEsLJMVdgDz9

Feel free to ask questions about the building or process... if you have any...

Current price for the exact same building (maybe $19.44 SF), plus the concrete and electrical... Turn key at $26.34 or somewhere thereabout. People that cancelled their contracts... shouldn't have.

Good luck fellas... Crazy world... Crazy times.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
How would a man "Deluxify" the building even further?

Add one extra roof "High Hat" purlin on each side of the roof framing for closer "on centers" for the 29 gauge roofing steel.

Add wall purlins at 2' centers for extra bracing strength and vertical siding... extra cost... maybe $1,500?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Uhmmmm

No comment

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Still interested and making plans soon...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice buildings.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Long story short... I am needing to get power up to the summit of our mountain. Local rule is 1,000' of power to a cabin, residence or building is free... but a straight run to the top... maybe 6,800' would be $400k... maybe $500k.

SO... decided to put in buildings and cabins along the way. Link To Pictures... Put a picture between the various projects just to keep them separate for now as you look at pics.

First 1,000' is Metal Building #1

Second 1,000' is "Baby Bear"

Third 1k feet is Metal Building #2

Forth 1k feet is "Mama Bear"

... and so on and so forth.

I'll put up more info on costs as I go thru the tally, but as a ball park (as I best recall)... maybe $19,600 on each building (including 6% sales tax but WITHOUT Concrete)... $5k-$6k on the concrete slab and $4k or so on the footing and block building. Electric panel installed maybe $600 each

Baby Bear will be under $8k and Mama Bear maybe $20k.

Bottomline, These will make for nice shops and practical cabins for far less than just the power run would have been.

Metal building #2 pics below... FYI, concrete and buildings on the side of a mountain is a real PITA.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Find some newly arrived Haitians to do the work for you. There’s a few of them around.

MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Find some newly arrived Haitians to do the work for you. There’s a few of them around.

WV might be a little nipply for Haitians...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Have you seen the schidt they live in, in Haiti?? Construction is not their strong suit...😜

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nicely done! Looks like some fun projects.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Final price went up to $13.70+/-

That is extremely cheap. I ordered a 40 by 60 building with 16' eves, rated for 142 mph wind loading, with insulation.

17.26 per square ft for just the building and insulation. No doors, no slab, no installation.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I contracted Star building for a 6850 sq ft shop with openings for six bay doors less then a year ago @ $ 330,000 by the time I received the building permit their quote increased by $152,000 to $482,000 . … a recent re summit for pricing is now $470,000. … we will get the foundation in and continue to hold off or look at other options.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cash

When you build on a mountain how hard is it to get a well going? Seems like you are sitting on 3000 feet of rock before you would start to dig for water like the folks in the valley.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from image1.slideserve.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
thanks!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Yes on #94 pounds... BUT WHY IS IT #94?

I know everybody wants to be Jimmy Olsen and say why but hold off and let's see if we can have some commentary on here as to why people THINK 94 lb is not an unusual weight.

In other words, gentlemen if you know the answer please don't just blurt it out. I used to win a lot of bar bets on this one.

Metric?

Union weight limit for a tenderer?

Perfect amount for the mortar mixer to hold?
A cubic foot of cement weighs 94#.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’ll make you appreciate the weight of a loaded concrete truck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U can hit big cracks in the rocks of a mountain like that for water 100 bucks a foot to drill here...a 2 foot crack 10 foot deep and 30 foot long will hold alot of water ...u just got to hit one ..lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Me thinks it’s 150 # per CF though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"""Roof loading went from 12" of snow to 3 feet... or something there about. """ what's that mean ? 50lbs a sf here...or u wear the roof in your lap....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.