Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I have run BFG AT and Goodyear MTR on prev Jeeps.

And all seasons on a couple.

Like at least an AT even when heading out on a farm.
My current beater has moderate ATs and they did OK fetching deer last couple yrs.

But then I also drove to the deer, in the woods, w no trail.

It's a beater, don't care. New jeep isnt gonna brush up along the locust trees and climb over logs LOL.

Field edges yeah.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/09/22.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One of my trucks .. either the '08 Frontier or '14 Taco .. came with the BFG rugged trail as the OEM tire. I was horribly unimpressed. I trashed two of them (and only had one spare) when I hit something on a back highway. Punched through the center of the tread in both cases. Before that, I had tried driving in wet, settled spring snow. Even in 4 Low with the rear axle locked the truck was helpless.

I was in a bind, truck on blocks up in the mountains 2 hours from town, so I had to just buy what was available to get the "f"er home and be able to go to work Monday. I got Toyo open country MTs. I'm on my 5th set between the 2 trucks. I've poked 2 holes (nails/screws) through the tread but they held air to get back to town. With both trucks I could tool along in 2WD high range in places I could not go in 4 Low locked with the rugged trail BFGs.

So ... I'm NOT recommending those BFG rugged trails. Hopefully the other option, which I'm not familiar with, is not worse.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used BF's and Goodyears on my 1/2 and 3/4 ton GM trucks for the last 30 plus years. Switched to Falkens about 8 years ago and it is no contest right now. They are my choice until something better comes along.

Current set (Wildpeak) has 46K on them and will probably replace them before next fall's hunting seasons in August. After the summer, should be close to 55K on them.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have Falkens on my 09 Tacoma and now the Chevy 2500. I like them, quiet on road , decent snow tire , good off road as long as its not mud. At this point if i needed a set of 4wd tires id buy them again

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
There was a BFG trail tire that was discontinued, horrible reviews. The tire I mention is new for this yr.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another Tacoma / Falken AT WP3 (Thailand) user. Got them last July, and they went through a Montana winter nicely. Good on slick-muddy roads, really quiet on the highway. We'll see how well the hold up, but so far so good.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just put a set of Michelin LTX AT/2 on my 2020 F250 this morning. Not much experience with them yet, but I've always had good luck with Michelins.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was planning on putting those on this year, but the reviews I read said they weren't good on wet roads. I had enough of that with the OEM Firestone Transforce HTs that came on it. I would be interested to hear how the LTXs work for you.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I was planning on putting those on this year, but the reviews I read said they weren't good on wet roads. I had enough of that with the OEM Firestone Transforce HTs that came on it. I would be interested to hear how the LTXs work for you.

I'll report back after I've driven them a while in different conditions. I know the review(s) you refer too. Like anything, there's always reviews for and against. I saw that one person really blasted the wet road performance, but I didn't see many more reviews that expressed the same issue, so I kind of weeded that review out. I'll let you know what my experience is.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I just put a set of Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W, LT235/75r15, tires on my 1996 Geo Tracker, for summer time off road use. I run in alot of sharp lava rock, and wanted something with strong, stiff sidewalls.

It's the only 15" tire, I know of, that is load rated 10 ply/E/80 psi. Hard ride off road, but I don't think any worries about sidewall punctures. Each tire is rated at 2755 max load.....that is more than the whole rig, loaded, weighs!

Andy3

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Andy3
I just put a set of Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W, LT235/75r15, tires on my 1996 Geo Tracker, for summer time off road use. I run in alot of sharp lava rock, and wanted something with strong, stiff sidewalls.

It's the only 15" tire, I know of, that is load rated 10 ply/E/80 psi. Hard ride off road, but I don't think any worries about sidewall punctures. Each tire is rated at 2755 max load.....that is more than the whole rig, loaded, weighs!

Andy3

I prefer E rated tires on my off road rigs. Just run them at the correct tire pressure for the weight of your vehicle and the ride will be as good as any. Probably around 26-30lbs psi for a Tracker.

A lot of people like to complain about E rated tires, and it's almost always because they run them at stupid high PSI for the weight of their vehicle.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Andy3

Andy3

I prefer E rated tires on my off road rigs. Just run them at the correct tire pressure for the weight of your vehicle and the ride will be as good as any. Probably around 26-30lbs psi for a Tracker.

A lot of people like to complain about E rated tires, and it's almost always because they run them at stupid high PSI for the weight of their vehicle.

Agreed. 40 psi looks to be the sweet spot, between stiffer sidewalls, and smooth "enough" ride. Plenty of contact area, side to side, so it won't wear the centers too much. First mileage check, still at 24 mpg.

Andy3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 16Racing, 67 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.