Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
What is y’all’s experience with factory (wood) stocks for the 17 line of 77’s?

Mine specifically is a wsm and I’m curious about the little raised area right at the tip of the foreend that is designed I assume to keep some pressure on the bbl…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It seems to scream inconsistency, as on mine it definitely moves and rubs and by no means keeps steady pressure on the barrel

Any experience good or bad with knocking that down and free floating ?

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How does it shoot?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Ed… the other day was the first time I have shot it on paper at 100..

For ammo I had American eagle and Winchester varmint?… Both 17 grain bullets

A little breezy but not howling and I’d say the average was about 1 1/2”

I definitely want it to shoot better

She's gone shootin..
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep, not good. Remove it and see. Always "reversible"... Also, shimming the two piece bolt has worked for some.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's Ruger making a rifle that'll shoot just accurate enough for hunting purposes.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cert,

I have three Ruger 77/17’s. One 17 HMR’s and two 17 WSM.

Here’s my experience. I shot them and if they didn’t produce a consistent MOA of a ground squirrel, which is 1” at 100 yards after 150 rounds.

I checked the stock for pressure points, sanding out any high spots. If they still shot poorly, I put new barrels and new stocks on them.

Out of the three 77/17’s, all but one has been transformed into a new rimfire rifle with barrels and stocks.

I realize this is a smidge extreme, but after having Clark’s Customs refit new tubes and Boyd’s furniture. The two problem rimfire rifles became lasers, shooting 1 MOA or better at 100 yards.

I also bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 17 HMR. Out of the box, this rimfire was excellent and shoots almost as well as my Clark’s.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Mine shot just ok with one type of Winchester ammo but stellar with another.

I've got a couple boxes you can test drive....see if they produce better results.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you sand out the speed bump I would go on ahead and glass bed the action. If after doing that it is not shooting up to your preferences then slowly build the pressure point back up and see how it responds. After free floating and bedding, if the accuracy is only ok i have seen the use of a deadening pad (read that as pieces of bicycle inner tube) used to calm the barrel harmonics. Or just hard bed the pad if that works.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've a herd in LR,HMR,WSM and Horn/KHorn. Hint.

I love to FL bed 'em all,especially those in Living Wood. Most "bad" rifles,simply wear Reupolds. Hint...............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TrueGrit: Aaahhhh well I don't know about your contention?
I bought one of the VERY first Ruger 77/17 HMR V/T (Varmint/Target) when they first came out back in late 2,002 (it has the very shiney/polished stainless steel finish not the dull gray coating of later models).
I mounted a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) on it and headed for the range one calm day back in late 2,002.
The only ammunition I had back then was the Remington 17 grain Accu-Tips.
After barrel break-in and sight-in I fired four groups that day at 100 yards.
Those four five shot groups at 100 yards measured .831", .721", .646" and .502"!
That .502" group at the time was THE smallest grouping I had ever fired with any rimfire Hunting type ammo!
And at that time I had been shooting rimfires for 43+ years by then!
I recommended this cartridge Rifle combination to MANY friends and fellow Gopher Hunters and each and every one of them LOVES their "heavy barreled" Ruger 77/17 HMR's.
In addition to that Ruger 77/17 HMR of mine shooting so well I also have a heavy barrel Ruger 77/22 L.R. (V/T - Varmint/Target) and a heavy barrel Ruger 77/22 Magnum (V/T - Varmint/Target).
Both of these other Ruger 77 heavy barrels have PLENTY of scope power on them (Leupold 12 power & Leupold 6.5x20 respectively) and they shoot extremely well at the range (I only shoot for group on near dead calm days).
One of my friends who ONLY shot his Ruger 77/17 HMR V/T (he only has the one rimfire for Ground Squirreling) after 16 years thought he had shot out his barrel and sent it to Clark Customs for a new 17 HMR barrel and some other "accurizing". That Rifle indeed did come back shooting even better than it originally had with the Ruger factory barrel.
That work/parts was NOT cheap!
My main point - with enough scope power and under good conditions my Ruger 77 rimfires shoot very well and I have sought out NO other route to obtain better accuracy with them - I did eventually add a Volquartsen trigger sear and spring kit to my Ruger 77/17 HMR V/T - just for something to do I guess - and it was CHEAP back then.
I wish the Ruger folks would resume manufacture of the 77 rimfire line - I have heard rumors that they still make this Rifle in 17 WSM but I have NOT seen one of recent.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VarmintGal,

Your Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude,is simply fhuqking MAGNIFICENT in it's Grandeur...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The only things you "shoot",are your mouth and Imagination. Paragraphs are "tricky". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Appreciate the info gents..

Beaver what Boyd’s did you go with on the wsm?

Stick you’s a clairvoyant sumbish!!😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger Rimfire Hunter/Laminate

IIRC the Ruger 17 WSM fits into the Boyd’s Ruger 77/Hornet stock. I know the WSM won’t fit into a 77/17 HMR stock.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

When I get back home in a few days, I will post a few pics of the 17 wsm and hmr.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'fiable,

I've faith in my Crystal Ball. Hint.(grin)

The Hornets and Whizzums interchange happily. A Boyd's laminate is VASTLY superior to OEM Living Wood. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Mine might wear a Reupold,but prolly don't. Hint.................(grin)

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hog and bed you silly goose.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
small twig: I shot over a hundred Varmints of two varieties, today, already!
Your trying to pawn off your own personal misery onto others here on this forum is just NOT working - never has!
I shot Varmints today with three different Rifles and one heavy barrel pistol - and for the duration of my Hunt today I never ONCE felt the need or desire to immerse ANY of the guns I shot into the water!
Like your poor, pathetic, miserable, little self, so often does.
One of the better performers today was in fact a Ruger 77/22 Magnum V/T wearing a "LEUPPOLD" 6.5x20 E.F.R. scope shooting Hornady 30 grain V-Max munitions.
Would have been three specie of Varmints brought to bag today but my stalk on a big Badger was not quite successful.
For a dimwitted, profane, immature, egomaniac as yourself to even TRY to berate another human being is, well, laughable.
Go back under your rock and be obscene to yourself - no one appreciates your immature and imbecilic burp ups!
You, small twig, are no where near as important/impressive as your ego-addled mind thinks you are.
Take that to the bank - HINT!
He-he.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VarmintGal,

You LYING Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,you "can't read" my Posts,due your Fhuqktardation. Hint. LAUGHING!

There's NEVER been a "LEUPPOLD". Hint.

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying and Trying.

Fhuqking...LAUGHING!...........

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
small twig: You embarrassing little specimen of a turd.
I was hoping you would take my LEUPPOLD bait and the idiot you are YOU DID!
Laughing at you and your imbecilic idoicy and profanity.
I do NOT need to "lie" to best you you poor excuse for man - go soak a Rifle in the river you dim bulb!
He-he.
Its so easy to mess with the head of an ego-maniac moron - you've been had!
By the way that LEUPPOLD I used today performed exceptionally well - picking the heads of the Varmints up easily at 100 yards+ as they stucked just a head up out of the holes.
Try one you'll like'em
Long live LEUPPOLD and Steven Corporation - a fine American Company.
Now go back under your rock and curse til your little hearty is content little man.
Sheesh - HINT.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: And if the weather allows (supposed to snow!) tomorrow I'll be out again using my Rifles, some of which have had Leupold scopes on them for MANY years, proving again, you Leupold naysayers are just idiots/contrarians.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VarmintGal,

Your MAGNIFICENT and bone chilled STUPIDITY isn't an "Act",nor is Reupold...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Paragraphs are "SCARY". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the same rifle and went through the same issue. I sanded down the bump to free float and it was worse afterwards. I came across this post and followed it, it helped quite a bit. ( I did use some bedding to put the bump back in after using some electrical tape wraps to find a sweet spot)
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...e-diy-bedding-m77-pic-heavy#Post16633873
I wanted better and since mine was a 24" barrel and Ruger quit making that length I had the barrel cut and crowned at 20" and that was a major improvement I can live with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.