Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Originally Posted by ironbender
RIP David Johnston.

RIP Sir.

We went to the Johnston Ridge Observatory late 2018. Fabulous. I was in first year University in 1980, I majored in Geology and that's what I do. Not Volcanology.

Guide talking about the eruption lived Vancouver Wa and saw te eruptions in the '90's.

Was very sobering to stand at the edge of the hot zone and be so far from the volcano.
I met David I believe in 1979. He was up in Fairbanks visiting his best friend, my UAF neighbor, Doug Lalla. Both were geophys grad students; Doug at UAF and David at UW.

Both were big time runners. David was a very nice guy, quick with a laugh, and very smart. Fun guy to drink a beer with and chat.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by nash22
I was skiing at Lake Billy Chinook that morning. We heard the booms, thought they were sonic booms from a jet.
Didn't know what happened until we got home that afternoon and saw the news.

Is this you?
[img]https://preview.redd.it/eswsql4yma0...97d4fc1a6c93734371996e2a7357b119646da947[/img]

I wish I was that Good.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The audio/video sync is not very good, but there are some good clips, especially near the end.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was camping with my future wife and in laws at Oak harbour, the in laws were from holland and having lived through the war they thought it was the ayatollah attacking, scared the mother in law really bad.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wasn't in Washington in 1980 but I was in NYC in 9/11

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was 10.
I remember seeing them plowing ash on the news.
Adults talked about it, much of it meant nothing to me.
I don't recall any effect here at all.
May have been, but a 10 year old has more important things
going on than a volcano!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had just built a new wooden fence in Edmonds WA when I heard someone smash into the fence.

But I could not spot them, looking over the fence.

A few minutes later I heard them smash into my fence again, and again I could not spot them.

Later I learned those sounds were Mt St Helens blowing up.

I had 5 acres in Snohomish that got 0.1" of ash on the leaves of the trees.

Some guy at work gave me a jar of ash from Yakima. The plume around me in Western WA was small, but it went big to the East.

The wife bought face masks, but we never needed them in Western WA.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe 5 years after St Helens, I was in north Idaho hunting elk with my BIL. We could shake the trees and still get ash falling on us. The wind and rain hadn't cleared it off yet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had been out rather late on that Saturday night and was in a very hung over state when I awoke early Sunday morning to a bright sun shinny Sunday morning. I went to the bathroom and returned to my bed and went back to sleep. The next time I awoke it was dark in my bedroom and I thought to myself that I had slept all day. My cousin and I had a couple months earlier had purchased some commercial grade newfangled things called Satellite dishes that were the size of a miny home. I got out of bed and turned my TV on and the news channel I was on was showing me a picture of a boiling cloud that I could not make out what it was. Pretty soon the announcer said you are looking at live footage of Mt. St. Helens that has erupted. I stepped outside and it had not started dropping ash yet and I lived in the bottom of a big draw, I got in my pickup and drove up the road to my cousins house that was at a higher elevation. I drove into their place as the ash was beginning to fall. We watched the TV and at that time they were announcing that people should not drive in the ash because they did not know exactly what it was and also do not wash off the ash with water because they did not know if it was caustic or not. I stayed there a couple hours and decided to drive back to my place and hole up until something was decided. I carefully drove back to my house and as I was walking in the door my phone was ringing and it was my girl friend telling me that she was stuck in Colfax because the roads were closed. She had got the last Motel room in Colfax and they were forcing every one else to the school. She was stuck there for about 4 days before they let her go on to Spokane.

Over the next couple years farming sucked because all the ash would swirl around and wear out parts much faster than it should have and we would have to clean the air cleaners several times a day. If you know where to look you can still see piles of ash along I90 around Ritzville and the surrounding areas all the way to Spokane. Shows exactly what mother nature can do when she gets pissed.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shows exactly what mother nature can do when she gets pissed
Yes, and this one was fairly minor in terms of volcanoes. There weren't any cities on it's slopes and it was in a fairly remote location. When Krakatoa blew, it was heard 1900 miles away and it took 3 years for the air to clear. They're still excavating the remains of Vesuvius 2000 years later. I don't know how many volcano islands there are with people living literally on top of them.
If Rainier ever blows, it'll be a whole different story.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you look around there is a Documentary about what will happen if Rainier blows. The dream of everyone in Eastern Washington, because according to the Documentary Seattle, Tacoma, and the rest of those areas will be washed into the sound.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BluMtn
If you look around there is a Documentary about what will happen if Rainier blows. The dream of everyone in Eastern Washington, because according to the Documentary Seattle, Tacoma, and the rest of those areas will be washed into the sound.

Not only does Eastern WA hate Western WA, but...

Eastern OR hates Western OR.

Conservatives in Western WA hate liberals in Western WA

Eastern King county WA hates Western King county WA....often prevented from mowing the lawn or cutting their trees.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
We have a fair number of volcanoes out our back door that should they blow will make St. Helens look like child’s play. Mt. Rainier is a serious threat but Glacier Peak which I look at almost daily from my place is the one that I worry about.

A rather timely article about Glacier Peak…

https://www.q13fox.com/news/scienti...at-very-high-threat-of-volcanic-eruption

The Pacific Northwest is enchanted by nearly a dozen majestic volcanoes that shape the landscape, however, there is concern over a volcano that lacks eruption monitors to predict when it might blow up.

Glacier Peak in Snohomish County is currently at a "very high" threat for eruption -- the top classification of threat levels, according to federal scientists. Currently, there is only one seismometer on the volcano to detect movement.

"You might ask why? Why is there only one seismometer at this volcano that is active and is very high threat level? Well, it’s very remote. It is in the middle of a designated wilderness, and beyond that, the area around it is wilderness," said Weston Thelen of USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory. "So, trying to get the data from the volcano out to a place where we can then download it and get it onto our computers is very difficult."

Thelen is a research seismologist for the observatory. He said the agency made a proposal to the federal government, asking to replace the current seismometer and add four more. He said the tools are critical in collecting the most accurate data and motion.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Wait until the Cascadia fault produces a big one. Last was January 25 1700 IIRC.

Should be a big earthquake followed by a tsunami. Was up at Oysterville Wa late 2018, all that would by wiped out following the severe earthquake. Sobering. Wash it all into Willipa Bay.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Wait until the Cascadia fault produces a big one. Last was January 25 1700 IIRC.

Should be a big earthquake followed by a tsunami. Was up at Oysterville Wa late 2018, all that would by wiped out following the severe earthquake. Sobering. Wash it all into Willipa Bay.

I believe you are correct regarding our last big one based upon the dead cedar forest. The natives still talk about it in their lore. Because of the likelihood of earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanoes it took me over a year to find the “ideal” spot to raise the family. While my wife wanted waterfront I knew that raising a young family with their attendant little friends I couldn’t take the risk of not having eyes on them every waking moment. I think my experience as a firefighter informed that decision. I saw great parents that lost their most precious gift because they took their eyes off them for a second, I couldn’t go through that simply for a beautiful view. We’re on an island on the Lee side of Whidbey island 400’+ on a ridge. Our house is built on rock substrate and I’m as prepared as I can be for whatever happens.

PS….I just added earthquake insurance and civil unrest coverage. 🙄

Last edited by AcesNeights; 05/20/22.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lava from oceanic volcanoes are generally runny and flow fairly freely. It's the ones on the continental side that have thick, viscous lava which really creates the pressure buildup. I'm always surprised at the number of ancient volcanoes in the SW U.S.

I can't imagine what the Yellowstone eruption would be like.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Was living in Gresham Or at the time and that morning I was at work at a grain elevator on the Willamette river in Portland. We had a good view of it.
A day or two later, we had 1/4” of ash on our house.

NRA Patron
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 73 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.