Hop To
#17251997 05/15/22
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just saw another thread where a gunsmith mentioned ITAR, I thought this was resolved for gunsmiths? Anyone know the status?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I thought so too.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t know the current status on the issue. My statement in the other thread was pertaining to the issue when it originally came about. At that time I made the decision that I couldn’t make it work and moved on to other avenues for making ends meet.

I hope that it’s been resolved because it was BS and put an unnecessary strain on small gunsmiths.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I see. Your post had me worried as I’ve been contemplating doing some gunsmithing as I’ve recently retired.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like a [bleep] fed

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aside from some health issues, I seem to recall ITAR being a deciding factor for IT&D closing up shop.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had read on several sites that the ITAR rules had been modified due to the overwhelming negative response to it, but the posters saying this didn't have any links to actual evidence so I question anything I hear about it any more.

I know of at least two gunshops around here that stopped doing any gun related machine work because they couldn't understand the ITAR rules or wouldn't deal with the cost or complexity of implementing it in their business...

I wouldn't know where to start looking for the ITAR information myself. Anyone else here tried to make sense of this?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Complexity at its finest . . . .

I seem to recall that when the issue of ITAR raised it's head under the Obama administration, one of the key points that went without notice was that ITAR was put in place to control the EXPORT of firearms and components. However, in typical .gov fashion, they would never come out and say that, and state that the 'run of the mill' gunsmith, if he/she were not exporting firearms or parts and pieces, were exempt. I could be wrong . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I wish some of our resident smiths would reply. From my understanding the guy that is barreling rifles and not exporting anything is exempt.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone here heard of Google? Answer found in 2 seconds.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So what is it? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Does not impact a gunsmith with an 01 FFL. Manufacturers and a few other licensees are effected by ITAR, even if they DONT export.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like several gunsmiths I talked to told me the original version of the language was the problem in that they didn't differentiate which gunsmiths were "manufacturers" . The way it was written, any gunsmith who did barrel work or even changed a stock was performing as a manufacturer and had to have the manufacturer's version of the license. At least, due to the complexity of the written rules that is how it was understood and the local ATF agents were pushing it that direction. So several gunsmiths I know just gave up doing any gun machine work rather than risk having their shops shut down and risk legal action by the over zealous ATF agents. since they didn't want to or could afford the $3500 annual fee for the license. I was even told by a couple guys very recently that if I did stockwork for anyone , or even for myself, I could be in trouble because I could be considered a gunsmith doing manufacturing work without the proper license. That is how bad this bureaucratic nonsense has gotten- and probably on purpose...

I have been told and read that the language has been changed and this is no longer the case, but I would have to hear it directly from the ATF to be confident that is true...

Last edited by Sheister; 05/16/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
I am currently waiting for my 07FFL so when I have my interview I will ask about it. It’s my understanding that currently as a mfg you don’t need to pay itar unless you are importing/exporting.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by YoungNDumb
I am currently waiting for my 07FFL so when I have my interview I will ask about it. It’s my understanding that currently as a mfg you don’t need to pay itar unless you are importing/exporting.
That would be great. Thanks.

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Check out this video starting at 9 minutes. The itar/ddtc registration is only required for those manufacturing nfa items and/or anyone importing or exporting firearms.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thank You

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.