Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just finished the tour.

I’m not apologizing.🖕

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve been there, saw it from back of the Peleliu as carrier backed out to leave Pearl. You could see it really well fifty feet above the water.

Last edited by hanco; 05/19/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I did that tour December 8, 1991 50yrs +1day and the amount of elderly Japanese that were there wearing their hats and insignias really angered me. I had to take a second and sit down to cool off and say a little prayer because my back was up. As I sat there I saw many American veterans shaking hands and hugging the Japanese men. A peace came over me and I realized that if the men that I “worship” and deeply respect can mend old wounds who the hell am I to carry anger that I wasn’t even alive to witness? I went on to fully immerse myself in that solemn place and I’m glad that I had the change of heart because I think I got so much more out of it and I believe I honored those lives better by releasing my anger….forever.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I was there about 10 years ago. I was really disappointed in the video narrative implying that the only reason Japan attacked us was because we forced them to respond to our aggressive behavior against them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very special place. I checked it off my bucket list several years ago. My Dad was in the 25 th infantry division in WW ll. Stationed at Schofield Barracks. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It was all japs there when I went also, pissed me off too!

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Beaucoup Japs here today. All very respectful. Dot heads are the loud obnoxious ones today.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It wasn't the Japanese, it was Japan. It wasn't the Germans, it was Germany. The apology is owed from Japan to both us AND the Japanese people.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Uncle, went down on that ship, he was visiting a friend. If I recall, dad said he was stationed on the California. Went in 97, went out on the memorial, it is everything everyone describes. Somber, subdued. Also went to Punch bowl cemetery and found his stone/marker there.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been there twice, almost 50 years apart. There are so many Japanese residents and tourists on Oahu that street signs are in English and Japanese. I thought the movie was respectfully done for both sides. The Japanese people who shared our group honored that. The message of the entire memorial is Honor and Respect. The only loudmouths I saw who didn't "get it" were American teens.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I too was surprised by the number of Japanese nationals at the Arizona Memorial on the morning that I went. As I sat there pondering it, I realized that the average Japanese citizen did not want to go to war with the U.S. any more than the average American today wants to go to war with Russia. Greedy, egotistical, power hungry leaders set the ball in motion in 1941, just the current crew in the Swamp are trying to do today... I realized that Pearl Harbor was a big deal for the Japanese people (maybe even bigger deal than for America)...

I am concerned that Slo Joe's handlers are steering us into the same situation... Deja Vu all over again...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a chance to catch a ride on a P-3 from NAS Jacksonville to NAS Barber's Point back in '78, I think it was, and had friends in other VP outfits stationed there. We'd gone through A-School in Memphis together. The group that ended up in Hawaii had an apartment in a high-rise that overlooked the harbor and from their balcony I could see down on the Arizona. It was very sobering to look at it and ponder what had happened there just 37 years prior, even from a half mile away.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Visited the Memorial in '71 during my second tour in Nam. Maybe timing, but it was quiet and sobering.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hatari
Just finished the tour.

I’m not apologizing.🖕

Get up early and head up to punch bowl. When I was there we were the only people in the whole cemetery for about an hour until the buses started to arrive.

Last edited by blacktailbuster; 05/19/22.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I went in 93 and was profoundly moved by the tour guide that was a survivor. How that man could lead several tours a day and talk about his fallen brothers was astounding.

I went in 2018 with my wife and it was less without veterans guiding the tour. Less because of the loss of those men and less because my wife never experienced the power of that tour. She has her grandfathers bronze star certificate hanging in her office.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 338Rem
My Uncle, went down on that ship, he was visiting a friend. If I recall, dad said he was stationed on the California. Went in 97, went out on the memorial, it is everything everyone describes. Somber, subdued. Also went to Punch bowl cemetery and found his stone/marker there.

My next stop. Pass his name and I will pay respects

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hatari: I can not tell from your posting whether or not YOU enjoyed your tour of the U.S.S. Arizona?
But I know I certainly enjoyed my three visits there.
I went twice with wife and family and then once by myself - that last occasion by myself was a profound and sobering visit.
I hope to get back to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial once more before I cross the great divide.
I have also toured the U.S.S. Missouri many times while it was stationed at the Bremerton Naval Shipyards.
The U.S.S. Missouri was a very favored place to take visiting VarmintFamily out of state relatives.
To a person they ALL enjoyed their visits and many were surprised that battleship, where the Japanese surrendered in World War II, was there/still existed.
Like one of the posters above I have also visited The Punchbowl (three times for me there as well).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've been to Oahu and the Arizona. Took a helicoptour that came in over the harbor, after our visit to the Memorial. Pretty cool.

I won't ever go back to Oahu, tho, unless it is to transfer planes at the airport.

Only about half the people speak English.... And there's too many people at 1/4 the number, far as I am concerned.

I've bn to Hawaii 6 or 7 times, only the once to Oahu.

Last edited by las; 05/19/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First visit was in 94 and the second was 2000. Very sobering, and yes lots of Japanese folks but all seemed to be very respectful.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was stationed in Pearl Harbor for a little over 3 years on the USS Willamette AO-180. Saw that memorial daily. It makes you think.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,369
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.