Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My question is about the “crown” on a muzzle break.
I understand the importance of the crown on a rifle barrel muzzle.

However, if the barrel has a muzzle break, is the crown on that muzzle break important?

For example, if the crown on the rifle barrel is in perfect condition, but the crown on the muzzle break is lightly damaged, will that damage affect accuracy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by westoakland
For example, if the crown on the rifle barrel is in perfect condition, but the crown on the muzzle break is lightly damaged, will that damage affect accuracy?

Yes it will. Depending on the brake, a damaged crown on the brake can actually hurt accuracy more than the same damage on the barrel crown.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would like to see the damage. I would think, as long as the damage does not cause contact with the bullet, it shouldn't have much effect.
Al, have you tested this or can you reference reliable tests? I don't really want to put a brake on one of my barrels to test this but I suppose I can, if necessary. GD

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
How can it effect it if the ID of the brake is greater than the bullet diameter by several thousandths

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
I would like to see the damage. I would think, as long as the damage does not cause contact with the bullet, it shouldn't have much effect.
Al, have you tested this or can you reference reliable tests? I don't really want to put a brake on one of my barrels to test this but I suppose I can, if necessary. GD

In both cases that I have first hand experience with, the damaged brake 'crown' showed significant accuracy losses. They were tested A-B-A to verify the results. Both were caliber specific...not 'universal' brakes.

The first one was a 257 WBy with a KDF brake and the second was a 300WSM with a Vais brake. In both cases, fixing the damaged brakes corrected the accuracy issues.

I don't doubt that depending on the individual brake, you may or may not see accuracy issues with a damaged brake 'crown'.

Fortunately, it's easy to test. smile

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks Al, Not having tested it, I couldn't say for sure. I've got a couple of seconds here that I could experiment with. I just have to decide what barrel I want to put a brake on. I've made and installed a couple hundred for others but have never had one on one of my own rifles. GD

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
Thanks Al, Not having tested it, I couldn't say for sure. I've got a couple of seconds here that I could experiment with. I just have to decide what barrel I want to put a brake on. I've made and installed a couple hundred for others but have never had one on one of my own rifles. GD

I'd sure be interested in your findings. Like you, I don't have any on my personal stuff. I've been pondering a 375 Ruger so that might change my mind!

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore
How can it effect it if the ID of the brake is greater than the bullet diameter by several thousandths

Gas surrounding the bullet when it leaves the crown will divert differently if the crown on the muzzle brake is not even.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Gas surrounding the bullet when it leaves the crown will divert differently if the crown on the muzzle brake is not even.

Isn't the bullet already gone by then? Seems like the same thing could happen if all the holes in the brake are not perfectly symmetrical, Not arguing, more curious

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
the hitch is the burning powder hits the air and causes another pressure wave at the end of the barrel while the bullet is still passing through that shockwave…. So that end of the muzzle explosion pressure wave can impact trajectory. A good deal of that occurs after the bullet leaves the area, but a bunch of it occurs while she’s still in the zone.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Isn't the bullet already gone by then? Seems like the same thing could happen if all the holes in the brake are not perfectly symmetrical, Not arguing, more curious

Gas is blowing past the bullet at the muzzle, yeah I have thought about the holes . There are brakes with the bottom of the break undrilled . I have one muzzle brake(which I hate) and its holes are drilled right but the internal finish is horrendous.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

The gas goes faster than the bullet as soon as it leaves the barrel - still at a high pressure but no longer contained by the bullet. A damaged crown will cause uneven gas flow around the base of the bullet that will upset the alignment of it. The spin might fix it but it's not a good start.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.