Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I was browsing through my latest edition of the Handloader magazine, and was looking at the 6.5 RPM. I normally look at speeds and compare them to my 260 Rem. This time I looked at speed but also powder consumption, and thought, "Nah, not worth the gains if I have to use that much more powder. Plus, my 260 will still easily kill deer at 400 yards, and if I need something bigger I will use my 30-06"
Kind of cracked me up at myself, thought I must be getting old. BTW I am only 38
PS. another contributing factor may be that the price of powder is creeping up. I like to check "shots per lb of powder" and using a 90 grain charge sure makes the powder go down faster than 45!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"We grow too soon old and too late smart."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I was browsing through my latest edition of the Handloader magazine, and was looking at the 6.5 RPM. I normally look at speeds and compare them to my 260 Rem. This time I looked at speed but also powder consumption, and thought, "Nah, not worth the gains if I have to use that much more powder. Plus, my 260 will still easily kill deer at 400 yards, and if I need something bigger I will use my 30-06"
Kind of cracked me up at myself, thought I must be getting old. BTW I am only 38
PS. another contributing factor may be that the price of powder is creeping up. I like to check "shots per lb of powder" and using a 90 grain charge sure makes the powder go down faster than 45!
I wouldn't say you are growing old, more like maturing.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've gone the same way over the past several years. I call it reverse magnumitis. 😏

I don't do any real long range shooting, so I've pared my rifles all down to small and midsized cartridges. Save myself some powder and a lot of beating on a bad shoulder and neck.

Not so much for handgun rounds, but in rifles I generally try the lighter charge powders first to try to get the most bang per pound, since I'm not chasing velocity anymore.

H4198 is a favorite, but since it has been essentially unobtanium for several years now, IMR3031 has gotten worked pretty heavily into my loading, since it generally shoots pretty well and gives fair speeds with fairly light charges compared to a lot of other powders.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep Powder is getting way more expensive (when you can even find it) so I sold off all my Magnum chambered rifles because they are powder hogs. I can make a pound of powder go a lot further shooting my .308 Win chambered rifles and have just as much fun....Hb

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jevyod
You are not old, just reasonably sensible. Up until recently, I have not shot any of my bigger cartridges for a while now. I even took my damn 7mm08 elk hunting last year!!! Funny thing though, I've been shooting a new 30-06 quite a bit over the last few weeks. First time out and I burned up 82 rounds, then the second time it was 70. After looking at the 3 green MTM boxes that were empty, I thought to myself, "damn I just burned up over $300 worth of ammo!!!! H4350 and 200gr nosler partitions don't grow on trees!!! In times like these, I look at my ammo and component supply with a more watchful eye. Sometimes it makes me cringe..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That kind of shooting I why I buy 168 grain match bullets at bulk prices when available.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
That kind of shooting I why I buy 168 grain match bullets at bulk prices when available.

I hear you. I also have a bunch of 168's, but they were not loaded. Trying to wring out a new rifle. Established a good base line with the 200gr partitions and el cheapo 180gr Winchester powerpoints. Those damn powerpoints have been a great bullet for paper punching and also hunting with. Glad I bought 750 from Crod here when prices were dirt cheap. I don't think that man gets enough praise here!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Also, I don't hunt with match bullets. Good to know a rifle is capable without them. Like I've told you many times, anyone can get match bullets to shoot good.. Load development will start soon for this rifle, as it is now solid. The foundation and mechanicals like Bedding, scope mounts and scope are proven now. Time to really start having fun with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If you want it, age doesn’t matter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to the Age Of Reason.

I keep looking at all these nifty new guns, reading reviews and going over ballistic charts, until that little voice in my head says, “Wake up Grandpa, you’re 70 and ain’t going to Africa, probably not Texas, nor even Iowa. You have enough crap to play with, so enjoy it while you can and stop wasting time (and money) on stuff you’ll never use.

It’s still a struggle.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I keep looking at all these nifty new guns, reading reviews and going over ballistic charts, until that little voice in my head says, “Wake up Grandpa, you’re 70 and ain’t going to Africa, probably not Texas, nor even Iowa. You have enough crap to play with, so enjoy it while you can and stop wasting time (and money) on stuff you’ll never use.

It’s still a struggle.
Excellent and very wise post here. I feel the same Pappy 👍......Hb

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yep. I've more rifles than get hunted now - about 13 years for the .338WM (probobly going caribou hunting this fall), and over 20 for the .243 - last shot 4 years ago when I was tuning the bedding, and last hunted over 20 years ago. I've a Belgian Browning A-5 12 ga. that's never been hunted by me, after I inherited and re-blued it over 20 years ago.,

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most my rifles are merely hobby projects . Cheaper than fixing an old truck.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pappy, you're right. You're talkin' sense there. VaHillbilly, I totally agree with you. When you're right, you're right. However, every now and then I get the urge to get just one more.....

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348

It’s still a struggle.

I'm just two years younger and realizing old age has really caught up to me. I'm selling off rifles. It's funny how they multiply when you start with inheriting four or nine and add some every few years. There's not much, if any, hunting I'll ever do again that can't be done with a 180 grain bullet at 2700 feet per second so most of them have to go. Then, there are a few extra shotguns around that rarely get any use any more. Heck, the sales are financing a nice fishing trip this year along with adding an inflatable boat to the fleet and putting a down payment on a Jeep (old one, not Fiat made).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Fait made ones are the better ones, it's those Mercedes Benz ones that weren't so good.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Down to 2 A Roberts and a 270 Win.

MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
At my age, I question a lot of thing. I look at some wildcats and think, "that is a lot of cost and trouble to only pick up XXX FPS over a factory offering".
I look at new factory offerings and think, " that is only XXX faster than the old round that it is supposed to be better than".
Then I think about brass and where are you going to be able to find it in 10-15 years.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My 6.6x55 swede has seen a lot more use in recent years, than the larger calibers.
Turning 70 will do that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m 78, and damned if they don’t still keep showing up in my safes…..handguns and rifles.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.