Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thinking about getting a used one to put some of wife’s junk inside and also to keep SXS in.
What are the pros ands cons of using them for storage ??

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PROS:

I dunno if there is a specific 'railroad' container but with standard shipping containers there is no way to escape from one if locked inside.
There is a good bit of breathable air in one so a person has plenty of time to think about why they have been locked inside.

If left out in the direct summer sun they get hot inside quickly.
The heat can become so extreme it could shorten the life expectancy of the one locked inside.

Calculations for a 40ft container are as follows.

The limiting factor in the container would be CO2, or water. Not oxygen, and likely not food.

As the CO2 concentration reaches 8%, the person will die.
Despite around 13% oxygen left.

Avg person breathes 10 liters (0.353 cuft) of air per minute and exhales 4% CO2 (0.0141 cuft/min).

This gives,

Air volume : 2720 cuft

Lethal CO2 volume: 217.6 cuft

Time to reach limit CO2 concentration 15400 minutes or ~10 days.

To generalise, every cubic foot gives approx 5.5 minutes of time per person. You may get unconscious sooner though.

Also, in 10 days, CO2 may be limiting only if you are in a cool, humid container. Else you’d die of dehydration much sooner.

Direct burial of a shipping container could possibly create these cool, humid conditions for prolonged life and dampen any unwanted noise transfer from inside to the exterior of the container.

CONS:

Nothing really..

I keep my SXS parked in the yard and use it daily.
It's no worse for wear..

If you're SXS is some sorta show piece that must be kept inside you might need a second shipping container.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on what you store, and how.

Good square footage, weathertight, good price.

But, it's shaped all wrong.

Long and skinny.

If her stuff is small, (female clutter often is) you can build shelves on both
sides and have a nice walkway. If it's bigger, it's hard to utilize the space and still allow access.

We have several refer trailers used for cold storage at work, with good
planning and luck, they work ok.

But, there are times you are unloading a trailer to get something from the front, then putting all that @#%%#!!!%!!!!! back. Just to get one pallet.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They often go by the name Sea container or c container. multiple sized available standard, half, quarter...
the was a company making them into "tiny houses" Inheard a pitch for a guy who wanted to make rent a gyms in them for small firms... you can always cut yourself a man door/windows with a plasma cutter...
back around 2007 or so there was a surplus of them due to a trade imbalance.. the ports couldnt find room to stack them all.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
PROS:

I dunno if there is a specific 'railroad' container but with standard shipping containers there is no way to escape from one if locked inside.
There is a good bit of breathable air in one so a person has plenty of time to think about why they have been locked inside.

The heat can become so extreme it could shorten the life expectancy of the one locked inside.

The limiting factor in the container would be CO2, or water. Not oxygen, and likely not food.

Avg person breathes 10 liters (0.353 cuft) of air per minute and exhales 4% CO2 (0.0141 cuft/min).

This gives,

To generalise, every cubic foot gives approx 5.5 minutes of time per person. You may get unconscious sooner though.

Also, in 10 days, CO2 may be limiting only if you are in a cool, humid container. Else you’d die of dehydration much sooner.

Direct burial of a shipping container could possibly create these cool, humid conditions for prolonged life and dampen any unwanted noise transfer from inside to the exterior of the container.

CONS:

Nothing really..

It's no worse for wear..

If you're SXS is some sorta show piece that must be kept inside you might need a second shipping container.

lololololol

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The entire world uses these containers for storage of most every item known to mankind while in transit for extended periods of time.

What possible question might one have regarding using one for storage?

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Depending on what you store, and how.

Good square footage, weathertight, good price.

But, it's shaped all wrong.

Long and skinny.

If her stuff is small, (female clutter often is) you can build shelves on both
sides and have a nice walkway. If it's bigger, it's hard to utilize the space and still allow access.

We have several refer trailers used for cold storage at work, with good
planning and luck, they work ok.

But, there are times you are unloading a trailer to get something from the front, then putting all that @#%%#!!!%!!!!! back. Just to get one pallet.

I cut a standard door opening in the side of my 40 footer with a cutoff wheel in my 4 inch grinder and installed a steel door..

Simplifyed the access issue through the end doors.
One end is now shelved out, made for better storage options.

The other end door is seldom ever opened, they tend to be difficult if the container is bent or tweaked to start with which is typically why they sell them.

If not set dead level a good end door can become difficult due to the containers twisting when conforming to uneven ground.

It's best to weld brackets to the Interior for shelves, good self-tapping screws walk right through a container wall but why punch holes in your sealed, dry container?

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t forget underground doomsday prepper compounds.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PROS:

This gives,

CONS:

Nothing really..

It's no worse for wear..

Hmmmm, If you locked 100 Democrats inside how long until we'd be rid of them?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ask any Mexican, they do it all the time when they move their families across the border for free health care.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Son in law has a couple, work well for him!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The doors can be hard to open but they're as secure as the lock you put on them. Some guys will remove the doors and frame in the end for a regular house type door. It's a lot more convenient. Of course that wouldn't work for storing a UTV.
They can get as hot as 150F and 130 is common. If you store anything that can't take a lot of heat, I suggest putting some kind of shade roof over it. Painting it white will help, too. Another option is installing some vents and a powered vent fan. Make it a big one.

They come in several different sizes. Here's a chart showing some variations. There are also high cube ones that are about a foot taller.
[Linked Image from zirconcontainer.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did one like pictured below.
I had Weatherport.com build the canvas and frame work complete with full length doors.
I used it for a remote shop while doing jobs in Alaska.
It worked out well but I wouldn't suggest it, Weatherport makes a great product but ridiculously expensive.
All my construction materials were shipped to Alaska in the containers so I had them pretty much for free. A couple guys could put the shop together in half a day.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]https://weatherport.com/products/vehicle-equipment-storage/workshops/

This would be a smarter idea.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have 4 0f them, 2 we use for cattle and horse feed both under cover, 2 Climate with control for storage, they are very handy, cheap compared to building the same amount of storage, and they can be moved if needed. Rio7

Last edited by RIO7; 05/20/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I did one like pictured below.
I had Weatherport.com build the canvas and frame work complete with full length doors.
I used it for a remote shop while doing jobs in Alaska.
It worked out well but I wouldn't suggest it, Weatherport makes a great product but ridiculously expensive.
All my construction materials were shipped to Alaska in the containers so I had them pretty much for free. A couple guys could put the shop together in half a day.
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]https://weatherport.com/products/vehicle-equipment-storage/workshops/

This would be a smarter idea.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I really like that 2nd pic.
What is needed foundation wise for containers?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a 20' since 2006.
Work VERY well as a storage facility!
Bought this one to store tools and expensive materials while building our home on a rural site. Never even lost a nail! 😉

CONS?
Well, there is the single entry, locked inside problem, but that is easily remedied.

Problems "I've" had.

I'm out in the country. Snakes, skunks, possums, armadillos, coons, you name it, sought shelter under "The Box"!
I originally simply set the container on the ground. It's hard packed red clay.
After a rain, my Rotweiller came in covered with red mud!
A rabbit or other critter ran up in one of the fork pockets on the bottom of "The Box".
From then on, the dog spent his free time outside running from one side of the box to the other, trying to find/get whatever was under the box! 😖!
Because of the proximity to the ground, rats and mice soon chewed holes through the wooden floor!
THAT caused a major clean out, repair and reorganize.
Because "The Box" was so heavy, it slowly began to list to one side, getting worse every time it rained.
Bought 6 retired RR crossties and bolted them together to make two 3×8 pads. One under each end.
Helps keep rats and mice at bay, but now I have more room for the other critters! LOL!
Unless you can get electricity to it, storing temperature sensitive items is lost cause.

PLUS:

Had 105mph wind blow through. The wind rolled a 16', slat side cattle trailer over on it's side.
"The Box", 15 feet away, stayed upright!

No roof repairs! 😃

They have pluses and minuses. You just kinda weigh the pros and cons.

I've never been in one, but YouTube has videos of homes/camps/shops that people have made from "shipping containers".

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought a 53 foot refrigerated trailer that had been used as a construction site storage unit and office. It's already got a plywood floor and flourescent lighting, and a big window where the reefer unit used to be. I'm incorporating it into an expansion of my shop. We removed the wheels and axles and the landing gear and set it down on a concrete block foundation. With all the insulation that's in the walls I shoud be able to heat it with a BIC lighter and cool it with an ice cube! A regular sea-land container would probably need some foam insulation sprayed onto the inside walls to be able to maintain some temperature control if that's important.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We bought a really clean and nice 20'er with doors on both ends. W/o the double doors there's no air movement inside and it's hot and muggy to be inside. They have waterproof air vents so I'm not sure why guys are mentioning running out of air if locked inside.

We store seldom used items like Christmas, Halloween, Easter stuff plus lawn and garden chemicals, tools, mower, spare air handler, etc. They'd make a great watertight workshop if you parked it in the shade and installed a little air conditioner in one. Little woodstove for burning scraps, recliner and some LED lights and momma would have to bring you sammiches to keep you alive.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
What is needed foundation wise for containers?
Most of the ones I've seen are set on RR ties resting on the ground. They'll last forever and usually don't need a building permit. Your city or county might vary on that. They're very rigid and blocks at the ends are enough unless you're storing very heavy stuff.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Not a box car but a shipping container?

They are okay.

Ugliest damn thing ever though.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They aren't any more attractive when they're stacked to make condos.

[Linked Image from falconstructures.com]

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.