Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by txhunter58
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
In my mind there’s a world of difference between being the hunter and being the shooter.

P

If you're being guided to an elk, what difference does it make whose rifle you shoot?

If you go to a dance with a girl, what difference does it make whomyou dance with

So, dating a girl and shooting a rifle are the same then.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have to shoot game at 500 yards you need to take a class “Hunt 101”.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You sir are no rifle looney.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So, how many of these guys have had a really good bull at 200 yds but had to spend an hour sneaking back to 500 so they'd be able to brag?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every time this subject comes up the self appointed arbiters of all hunting ethics show up and tell us how we should be doing it... but what it really tells us is that they aren't capable of being prepared for a long shot if it becomes necessary .

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hitting a pie plate sized target at 500 yards is not something most hunters I know can do, especially in field conditions. I can't remember, EVER, seeing someone at a rifle shooting range, shooting a hunting rifle in any position other than sitting at the bench. An option that does not exist in the wild. And most rifle ranges don't go beyond 100 yards which is even more reason to question a hunter's ability. The factory drop numbers on the ammo boxes are a great place to start your hold, but hardly close to reality. Laughable if that's your solution to long range shooting on a game animal. While I understand their premise, it would be a deal breaker for me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I know several elk guides who bring their rifles to the obligatory range time, the night before the hunt begins. The way the story goes, the client's new mountain rifle is off, can't hit the 4x8 sheet of plywood the 200 yard target is on. The guide says, you want to try my ____? They dial it and then start moving them onto the 400 yard gong.

I know one 7 mag that has killed hundreds of elk, in different clients hands.

I don't think the gun is offered as an option in the hunt, but I guess it works better for everyone?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Puddle
Here's what I've not heard of before - apparently my brother and hunting buddy don't bring rifles or ammo to hunting camp. Instead, they'll be using a couple of the outfitters super-duper rifles that wear cans on the end and are mounted with scopes tailored to the cartridge - 300 PRC. I guess they show up a day early and spend it familiarizing with the rifles out to 500 yards. Then they head out to elk camp. The outfitter also provided them instructions on how to prepare at home using their own rifles.

Wow. That's a new one for me. I know of African hunts where rifles and ammo can be provided, but this is the first I've heard of in the States.

Huh, never heard of it before but the more I think about it, if I were a guide I think it would be a great idea.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
mant times these hunts are just out a truck on a old dirt 2 track road to a rancher alfalfa field at 1st light ,guide says there they are whole herd of elk ,don`t slam the door shoot right off the hood of the truck. about 250 yards out there . then its nice shot sure was a fun hunt ! believe me i have watch this happen plenty from up high when i was waiting for the elk herd to come up to me that i climbed up too on Federal land. its a real chit show when this happens . i have seen it in Wyoming and Montana happen for elk ,deer and antelope many times with guides for easy money from non-residents.

Guess I don't see the problem? What's the difference between that and shooting deer off a food plot from an elevated clubhouse?

That's why people spend money, often big money, on a hunt - to increase, if not guarantee, their chances for a shot at a nice animal.

If you want a hardy hunt, and likely see less game, then do yourself a DIY.

For me, I've spent my life doing it the hard way, might be nice to take one the easy way.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It would be nice to have a rifle waiting for me when I travel to hunt. Pain to fly with one.

When people come hunt with me they most often use one of my rifles, backpacks, and gear. Just dig through the pile and take what you need

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't think that kind of guided hunt is very common.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.