Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I haven’t tried any other factory ammo since I bought this first stuff. At that time brass was unavailable as was most everything else.

I put the 204 right up there with the 22-250 in factory form anyway, my 1/8 twisted 22-250AI Montana is a different story.

I bet. Being able to run heavies in the 22-250 would be near perfect for me. One of these days!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m using TAC with both the 35’s and 40’s but I just found a load that worked good for me and started killing coyotes with it.

I shot the 40 grain Vmax factory ammo when I first got the rifle and there’s nothing wrong with the bullet or the load. I think I got 37something on the chronograph and it killed coyotes just like my 22-250 did. I shot these 3 shots with the 40 grain Vmax and went and bought more of it to get started.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not bad. Have you tried that Fiocchi stuff? I think Scheels has it for $42/box of 50 rounds. I know, we handload our own, but I could not find brass anywhere around here and the guy at the shop sold me 2 boxes for $50.00. I went back for another 2 boxes, since he gave me such a good deal on it. I told him I didn't expect that kind of deal on the ammo again, since he was giving me a stellar deal for buying the rifle from him. I said Sheel's sells it for $42/box, but I don't want to drive to Reno! He said, "I can do that". Cool!! Now I have a little brass and some 40's already worked up. The wind is blowing like hell today though. The 40 Vmax has a bc of .275, which I found interesting. My favorite 53gr Vmax I use in my 22-250's has a bc of .290 and it does damn well, considering.. As for powder, I will give TAC a try too. JB dotes on the stuff, or I should say he likes it in the 204 Ruger..

Buy some of that Nosler 222 mag from shooters pro shop for $45 a 100 neck it down. I will keep an eye out for you on brass and bullets. Pretty sure the 3 bears by us has 204 bullets priced cheap. I know during Obama reign all you could find up here was 204 ammo (this was after sandy hook 2012) Well not a lot of 204 shooters up here. I think at the time you cold even get AR barrels in the 204. I mentioned this before I really need to hunt down a Remington SA prefer a Winchester SA PF, 2ith a 223 bolt face send it off get a 26inch 1-7 twist barrel screwed on have the chamber cut to shoot the 88 ELD-M. Also be able to feed those 88's from the magazine. Those boys in you shoot with in Nevada wouldn't know what to think. Be one hell of a F-class rifle.

Thanks J. Yeah, they were surprised when I was hanging with them with the 22-250 using 53's. A 204 Ruger would be insane. Like I said though, I would not even attempt it unless it surprises the hell out of me. It would have to be shooting on par with my 22-250 and that one shoots pretty consistently out to 600 yards. Weird as hell, but that 22-250 spanks my creedmores on calmer days.. It kind of pizzes me off. Another reason I fine tuned my first CTR 6.5 creedmoor to shoot better. That less than 1" 3 shot group and other consistent 1" 3 shot groups with the 22-250 at 400 yards torments that creedmire.. What's even worse is the 22-250 has shot better at 600 yards as well. Not much better, but better nonetheless. The funny thing is that bullet is not even supposed to stabilize in that twist rate.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m using TAC with both the 35’s and 40’s but I just found a load that worked good for me and started killing coyotes with it.

I shot the 40 grain Vmax factory ammo when I first got the rifle and there’s nothing wrong with the bullet or the load. I think I got 37something on the chronograph and it killed coyotes just like my 22-250 did. I shot these 3 shots with the 40 grain Vmax and went and bought more of it to get started.

Not bad. Have you tried that Fiocchi stuff? I think Scheels has it for $42/box of 50 rounds. I know, we handload our own, but I could not find brass anywhere around here and the guy at the shop sold me 2 boxes for $50.00. I went back for another 2 boxes, since he gave me such a good deal on it. I told him I didn't expect that kind of deal on the ammo again, since he was giving me a stellar deal for buying the rifle from him. I said Sheel's sells it for $42/box, but I don't want to drive to Reno! He said, "I can do that". Cool!! Now I have a little brass and some 40's already worked up. The wind is blowing like hell today though. The 40 Vmax has a bc of .275, which I found interesting. My favorite 53gr Vmax I use in my 22-250's has a bc of .290 and it does damn well, considering.. As for powder, I will give TAC a try too. JB dotes on the stuff, or I should say he likes it in the 204 Ruger..

Buy some of that Nosler 222 mag from shooters pro shop for $45 a 100 neck it down. I will keep an eye out for you on brass and bullets. Pretty sure the 3 bears by us has 204 bullets priced cheap. I know during Obama reign all you could find up here was 204 ammo (this was after sandy hook 2012) Well not a lot of 204 shooters up here. I think at the time you cold even get AR barrels in the 204. I mentioned this before I really need to hunt down a Remington SA prefer a Winchester SA PF, 2ith a 223 bolt face send it off get a 26inch 1-7 twist barrel screwed on have the chamber cut to shoot the 88 ELD-M. Also be able to feed those 88's from the magazine. Those boys in you shoot with in Nevada wouldn't know what to think. Be one hell of a F-class rifle.

Thanks J. Yeah, they were surprised when I was hanging with them with the 22-250 using 53's. A 204 Ruger would be insane. Like I said though, I would not even attempt it unless it surprises the hell out of me. It would have to be shooting on par with my 22-250 and that one shoots pretty consistently out to 600 yards. Weird as hell, but that 22-250 spanks my creedmores on calmer days.. It kind of pizzes me off. Another reason I fine tuned my first CTR 6.5 creedmoor to shoot better. That less than 1" 3 shot group and other consistent 1" 3 shot groups with the 22-250 at 400 yards torments that creedmire.. What's even worse is the 22-250 has shot better at 600 yards as well. Not much better, but better nonetheless. The funny thing is that bullet is not even supposed to stabilize in that twist rate.

It's all about speed, example a 224 Valkyrie with a 80gr eld-m will out shoot the 88gr eld-m loaded in a 224 Valkyrie. Ballistic calculators don't lie. example your 6.5 CM with 140 ELD-M at 600 yds if using a avg velocity of 2750 you need to come up 12.76 MOA, 22-250 with a 53gr bullet at 3600 FPS (taking a wild guess) come up 9.4 MOA. Thats why high power shooters and f-class shooter push the envelope on speed.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Let’s take it up a notch a fast twist 22-250 shooting 80gr ELD-m at 3150 using the true bc of .505 (Brian Litz tested) bullet drop is 10 moa at 600 wind drift in 10mph winds is 3.2. At 1000yds drop in MOA is 23 wind drift 6.1.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My 22-250AI shooting 75 grain Amax's at 3450 fps only requires 6.5 mil's at 1000 yards while the 6.6 Creedmoor I had shooting the 140 grain ELD-M at 2700 fps took half that again to get there but only took half the wind. Add in an AO on the Creed scope I had vs the non AO on the 250 and the slow poke Creedmoor won by a huge margin.

I've got my chrono loaned out at the moment but I'm getting ready to load up some of those 88's just to see if it evens things out.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by TWR

It's all about speed, example a 224 Valkyrie with a 80gr eld-m will out shoot the 88gr eld-m loaded in a 224 Valkyrie. Ballistic calculators don't lie. example your 6.5 CM with 140 ELD-M at 600 yds if using a avg velocity of 2750 you need to come up 12.76 MOA, 22-250 with a 53gr bullet at 3600 FPS (taking a wild guess) come up 9.4 MOA. Thats why high power shooters and f-class shooter push the envelope on speed.

Yes, I'm talking accuracy. Not necessarily drop. That is easily enough taken care of with a twist of the dial. The 22-250 shoots pretty dang good at 600, even with light bullets. I guess that is what I'm getting at. I do realize a fast twist 22-250 would be that much better. Of course better accuracy potential with a higher bc bullet etc..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
My 22-250AI shooting 75 grain Amax's at 3450 fps only requires 6.5 mil's at 1000 yards while the 6.6 Creedmoor I had shooting the 140 grain ELD-M at 2700 fps took half that again to get there but only took half the wind. Add in an AO on the Creed scope I had vs the non AO on the 250 and the slow poke Creedmoor won by a huge margin.

I've got my chrono loaned out at the moment but I'm getting ready to load up some of those 88's just to see if it evens things out.

Keep us posted. The higher bc's definitely help the further out you get. I do like my 6.5, but was actually surprised how well a light bullet does in the 22-250. When you can shoot a 2 5/8" group at 600 yards on a regular basis, that is pretty good.. 1" at 400, not bad either.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

Run that data with a 80gr eld-m and bc of .505. Ok I did at 600 hundred 22-250 moving that 80 at 3300. You have 9.2 moa come up and in 10mph wind you have wind drift of 3.4.

Last edited by 79S; 05/19/22.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

Keep us posted. The higher bc's definitely help the further out you get. I do like my 6.5, but was actually surprised how well a light bullet does in the 22-250. When you can shoot a 2 5/8" group at 600 yards on a regular basis, that is pretty good.. 1" at 400, not bad either.

High bc only helps when you can push it fast. Having a bc of .650 worthless when a said round can only push 2600-2700. That’s why a fast twist 224 will whip a 6.5 CM, as I said ballistic calculators don’t lie. You say you are amazed your 22-250 does well with light bullets is because you are pushing them at 3500-3600 fps. Why you think guys are transitioning to the 6XC, and 22 CM. If one could safely push a 95gr SMK or 88gr ELD-M at 3200-3300 fps. Ph uck one would be whipping some ass on the 1000yd line.

Last edited by 79S; 05/19/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes and no, I think. The best wind reader will often win in the end. Case in point is the 2021 NRA long range championships where 1st and 3rd place overall were won by Phoenix area shooters using iron sighted .308s with 155s... against the any/any rifles.

Last edited by MikeS; 05/19/22.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeS
Yes and no, I think. The best wind reader will often win in the end. Case in point is the 2021 NRA long range championships where 1st and 3rd place overall were won by Phoenix area shooters using iron sighted .308s with 155s... against the any/any rifles.

I will take speed to make up for my inability not knowing how to read wind worth a crap. 😁

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I will take speed to make up for my inability not knowing how to read wind worth a crap. 😁
If you think about it, mike is kind of saying the same thing. Those 155's are light and faster than say a 190 or 200 smk.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

If you think about it, mike is kind of saying the same thing. Those 155's are light and faster than say a 190 or 200 smk.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Very true and longer barrel. I have a f class rifle it’s my daughters has a 28 inch barrel and I’m getting 2800 with 175’s. That’s using standard load data no over max.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Very true and longer barrel. I have a f class rifle it’s my daughters has a 28 inch barrel and I’m getting 2800 with 175’s. That’s using standard load data no over max.

Very good. Those guys I shoot against all have 28" and longer tubes on their rifles. All custom jobs. Some have brakes, some have suppressors. I was talking to a smith there and he was talking about F class rifles. One guy was saying that is basically what his is set up for. It's chambered in 308w and weighs 18 pounds I think. He was shooting 155 Scenars and doing well. I outshot him, but not by a lot. He was in a different group, but when I was waiting for my turn, I was watching to see how he was doing. I was actually impressed with how well it was doing in the wind. Some guys fell apart as the day progressed because they were letting the wind get to them. I was actually shooting better because I was more focused. What almost got me was the temperature rise affecting bullet drop. I had to dial down 1 moa, at 600 yards, towards the last half of the shoot. In the morning it was cold and by the time we were done, it was hot... All that makes a difference in what the bullet is going to do on target... Funny thing is I overheard some of the guys there with fast 6mm's and they said they did not have to compensate very much for the wind, even on the 6-700 yard targets. They do have a distinct advantage there. That 6GT is probably one I'll try as soon as I decide I want to soup up my extra CTR...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most, if not all of the heavy 30 caliber bullets will use less wind at 1000 yards than a 155 when launched with a .308. The 155s are used by most of the Palma guys as they are required by ICFRA for international competition. That creates a very level playing field without much in the way of an equipment race. That's probably what I like best about it, plus irons and sling are cool.

What kind of winds have you been shooting in BSA? A good 6.5 match bullet should perform extremely well at the distances you mentioned. They all blow around though.

Last edited by MikeS; 05/20/22.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Most, if not all of the heavy 30 caliber bullets will use less wind at 1000 yards than a 155 when launched with a .308. They are used by most of the Palma guys as they are required by ICFRA for international competition. That creates a very level playing field without much in the way of an equipment race. That's probably what I like best about it, plus irons and sling are cool.

What kind of winds have you been shooting in BSA? A good 6.5 match bullet should perform extremely well at the distances you mentioned. They all blow around though.

Yeah, my 6.5 does well, but the wind even at 400 yards has blown the 140 ELD match off by a foot. We get some major winds here in Nevada, but last month's shoot the winds were only gusting to 18 according to the kestrel. Enough to f with a lot of guys there. It not only blows air, but also dust and dirt around. Tomorrow is supposed to be windy too, so we will see how it goes.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's definitely windy. Try using the upwind dust as a wind indicator if you aren't already. I'm assuming there are no wind flags.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's definitely windy. Try using the upwind dust as a wind indicator if you aren't already. I'm assuming there are no wind flags.

Yep, you are assuming right. I generally watch what direction the dust, from the bullet splash, blows and how fast. Also watch mirage. That works when the sun is out good, but not so much when there's over cast skies. No wind flags allowed. Its a fun shoot, since I hunt it is great. It caters more to the varmint hunter, or "long range" varmint shooter. Our first shoot of the day is a money shoot where everyone puts in $5 and the winner gets the pot. Its a cold bore shoot and the target is at 800 yards, but the target is different each time. The first time I went, it was a steel milk jug. 1 shooter hit that. I went to school with that guy and he is pretty bad azzed. Then they tried to make it easier the next time and 7 of us (out of 22 shooters) hit the target. That time I was set up with better optics and using my creedmoor. That rifle shoots great, but I had not shot it at 800 yet with the new scope. I lucked out and just dialed in the dope based on what the calculator told me and I hit the small yote target. To make it more challenging, they had it quartering away from us. That morning it was pretty calm. Its all fun Mike. Like I've said before, shooting is shooting. I like competing. Used to shoot for money in competitive trap/money shoots. Had a partner that went with me and we did that every weekend and even on some weeknights. I'd make on average about $300.00/week back in the early 2000's. That was mainly done with a shotgun I paid $160 for, but it worked and it pizzed the guys off running Perazzis..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (16penny, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.