-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi folks, new here and a lot of data and contributions - thanks. Hard to search older stuff, I'll figure it out or browse endlessly - LOL.

I have a pair of Gold Hunters, a 20ga that's the wife's and a 12ga I use, or mostly did. We went from one dog to none (lab - RIP 13y and a week) to now have two young labs with good noses. Upland bird (pheasant) hunters back when we hunted. I'm kicking it around again since the dogs have some really good breeding stock talent. Yea all over the place this first post will be.

These guns are roughly 20 years old, 18 to 20 years anyway. The 20g probably has less than 100 shells through it. The 12 probably 600. Never an issue. Might have had a low base light load FTE on trap with the 12 in practice but never in the field. High base never an issue. May not sound like much but we usually hit the birds, just sayin grin Great guns and a pleasure to shoot.

So I do see the piston issues on the Brownings, SLP's and the SX2//3/4 as well as the legacy issues- out of production parts, I have a spare set of pistons, for the 20ga - that was probably a waste of money. On the 12ga however I'm turning it into a play rig for medium and heavy loads and dual loading practice. I can hunt birds with the 20, the wife is kinda out of it - she likes the field and dogs but not so much shooting anymore.

So the 12 is the project zombie rig. I have a Sure Cycle 6 extension for the 12, so total 10+1.

My question (or one of many) - which follows - the original piston assembly in the 12ga has one set of holes, the standard replacement has two sets of holes. It (the original) is not marked for light loads. I believe the original has a black lower keeper ring and the replacement/spare is gold colored (or vise versa) - for sure it's not red. Is the original gas piston assembly with a single set of holes more suited to light loads thanks the standard midway/midwest replacement (that has two holes)?

My gut tells me to keep the original gas piston assembly for light work if I ever convert to back to a hunt gun and use the standard replacement for the high base, T-shot, buckshot loads.

What says the gallery? And hello and all that good stuff!

Last edited by mattfe2o3; 05/14/22. Reason: edit
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot Browning Golds plenty. The guns were designed to run anything and the RED piston was brought out for light target loads. Before I would mess with the piston, if the gun malfunctioned, I would change the springs first. Action Spring in the buttstock and mag spring. Mine have eaten plenty of every load imaginable (waterfowl hunt a fair amount and the Gold is my main conservation snow goose gun). Springs will need to be replaced before the piston in my approximation.

Use the guns and don't over think it. If you have problems call Browning or Midwest Gun Works. Midwest is just down the street from Browning's service facility in Missouri. Both know their stuff on these guns and should be willing to help you out.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by wildfowl
I have shot Browning Golds plenty. The guns were designed to run anything and the RED piston was brought out for light target loads. Before I would mess with the piston, if the gun malfunctioned, I would change the springs first. Action Spring in the buttstock and mag spring. Mine have eaten plenty of every load imaginable (waterfowl hunt a fair amount and the Gold is my main conservation snow goose gun). Springs will need to be replaced before the piston in my approximation.

Use the guns and don't over think it. If you have problems call Browning or Midwest Gun Works. Midwest is just down the street from Browning's service facility in Missouri. Both know their stuff on these guns and should be willing to help you out.

Thanks! Interesting observations, much appreciated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to order something, think about the nylon/delrin? bolt buffer in the rear of the receiver. I bought a like-new 1995 20ga last Fall and was loving it until it malfunctioned while shooting clays. Bolt wouldn’t lock back among other things. Pulled the trigger group and a couple of chunks of plastic fell out and I found the trigger return spring off its notch. Ordered a couple of buffers from MGW (Now ‘n Later). Have to pull the buttstock to replace.

Another “wear” or age part is the cushion that goes between the trigger group and the receiver at the rear. Be easy to make one in a pinch and I doubt it affects function, but probably just keeps the two sections snug.

Mine’s back at it and I think they’re great shotguns. Mine has very nice wood too with excellent checkering. Made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal. Has the speed-loading like an A5 which impresses the Hell out of folks who’ve never used one with it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Double Auto has that same speed load feature. It is really cool IMO.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see nice examples of those for sale at attractive prices now and then. Not sure the guys I shoot with could survive the shock if I trotted out one of those!

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't know much about them. Duck hunted for 5-6 years with a guy who had one. Every duck hunt, that thing jammed and he was taking it apart. It was a running joke. He finally bought a Turkish o/u to replace it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.