Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
YES... my wife loves me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bad news... the sourdough starter died last year from the Rona (or something)... so just plain homemade bread.

Oh well...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing like good home baked bread. My sil has a starter she’s been growing for about twenty years.
It’s like a science project.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's strictly a winter-time thing for us down here ... too hot to fire up the oven between now and September.

We used-to serve nothing but homemade bread at the family restaurant and bakery. People would come for miles because of the bread, rolls and cornbread.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My wife makes 2 loaves or a pan of buns about very week

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Using the right flour and a bit of malt, you won't need 'starter'... Local stores have flour suitable for maybe coating chicken.....but NOT for bread. It takes high-protein stuff for a proper loaf.. (I found that out the hard way... laugh )

I make 4-5 different loaves - from white, raisin, dark rye and cinnamon etc...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Grandpa used to say “these light bread folks is a ruining our women”

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Redneck
Using the right flour and a bit of malt, you won't need 'starter'... Local stores have flour suitable for maybe coating chicken.....but NOT for bread. It takes high-protein stuff for a proper loaf.. (I found that out the hard way... laugh )

Thanks for the dark rye recipe and where to get good flour. frown

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Redneck

You know, if you were twerker or Jell0 or SAC or some other dumbass i wouldnt ask. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We make 2 loaves of sourdough a week. I make it in a coffee can. It's kicked by a starter that I fuel with Bob's organic rye flour. I make the bread with unbleached flourcand nobody can leave it alone.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My mother used to tell us about a Mormon family down the road when she was growing up. They had bus load of kids and 1 day a week was baking day. The mother had this idea that hot bread out of the oven was poisonous so they were never allowed to eat any until it was stone cold. The fact that all of her neighbors relished hot bread and survived it nicely never soaked in to her head. Oh well, her loss.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My mother used to tell us about a Mormon family down the road when she was growing up. They had bus load of kids and 1 day a week was baking day. The mother had this idea that hot bread out of the oven was poisonous so they were never allowed to eat any until it was stone cold. The fact that all of her neighbors relished hot bread and survived it nicely never soaked in to her head. Oh well, her loss.

My mother was the same way. One day a week, every flat surface in the kitchen was covered with bread rising.Then you also had laundry day, ironing day and cleaning day.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SCRooster
It's strictly a winter-time thing for us down here ... too hot to fire up the oven between now and September.

We used-to serve nothing but homemade bread at the family restaurant and bakery. People would come for miles because of the bread, rolls and cornbread.
I bake hot-dog and hamburger buns on the PelletSmoker during the summer at the lake. Works great and no, they don’t come out smoky.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a galaxy long ago, hit the barn to milk at 4:30, Grandma had breakfast rolling by the time the milk cans were rolled to the driveway. Nobody needed to ring a bell, you could smell the sourdough biscuits when they came out of the oven, more like little loaves of bread but the taste and texture was wonderful. Jersey butter and bacon out of the smoke house, home made sausage and hen fruit fresh from the boxes.

I smell fresh baked bread and I see her standing at that old stove with her apron clutched around a hot pan of biscuits turning to bring them to the table.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remembering being a little kid at church and hearing "man cannot live on bread alone" and thinking yea, I mean don't they give him some butter too?

We don't do it very often - mainly because I will eat the entire loaf in one sitting but I love fresh baked beer bread and occasionally I can get my wife to make me banana bread.

It doesn't have to be fancy - just fresh and hot.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Warm home made bread and home made Apple butter or jelly.
Lots of milk, it can get ugly.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LOVE fresh bread!!!!
....but we don't make it very often. My fat self doesn't need to eat THAT much bread and butter and I CAN NOT leave it alone! LOL!

Wife makes a set of cat head biscuits that would make my grandmother proud!
She also makes "challah". A traditional woven Jewish bread.
I make what's called "Milk Bread"
Doesn't work well as just bread, but toasted with an egg and cheese will warm the cockles of your heart on a cold morning!

THEN......there is "Annadamah" bread! THAT is some awesome stuff! Again, not something this old fart needs on a daily basis! 😖

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For all you fresh flour freaks!!!

Any of you have a "grain mill"?
I do.
I buy cleaned, untreated "hard red winter" wheat seed and grind it.
IF I can get good clean wheat of the proper moisture content directly from the combine, I'll do that! 😉

1) freshly milled flour is more nutritious
2) wheat berries (grain) can be cheaper than flour
3) freshly milling your own flour often gives you more choice
A) different grains
B) different textures (coarse, medium, fine)
4) freshly milled flour brings better flavor
5) wheat berries (grain) has a longer shelf life than flour
6) you actually get the WHOLE grain of wheat

Other facts of note:

1) freshly ground flour is more absorbent than regular (store bought) flour
2) freshly ground flour ferments faster than regular flour
3) the "crumb" of freshly ground flour will be tighter
4) freshly ground flour is more inconsistent than regular flour
5) freshly ground flour takes up more volume (for the same weight) than regular flour
6) the temperature of fresh ground flour will be warmer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just made some las' yessirday:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
For all you fresh flour freaks!!!

Any of you have a "grain mill"?
I do.
I buy cleaned, untreated "hard red winter" wheat seed and grind it.
IF I can get good clean wheat of the proper moisture content directly from the combine, I'll do that! 😉

1) freshly milled flour is more nutritious
2) wheat berries (grain) can be cheaper than flour
3) freshly milling your own flour often gives you more choice
A) different grains
B) different textures (coarse, medium, fine)
4) freshly milled flour brings better flavor
5) wheat berries (grain) has a longer shelf life than flour
6) you actually get the WHOLE grain of wheat

Other facts of note:

1) freshly ground flour is more absorbent than regular (store bought) flour
2) freshly ground flour ferments faster than regular flour
3) the "crumb" of freshly ground flour will be tighter
4) freshly ground flour is more inconsistent than regular flour
5) freshly ground flour takes up more volume (for the same weight) than regular flour
6) the temperature of fresh ground flour will be warmer

My house is .5 miles from one elevator, 3 from another and 75 yards from the field. Fresh is not haed to find here.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thought this was going to be another corn fed gal thread .
Still some good looking eats , just different.🤪

On second look , if you’d flipped both round edges out , just saying

Last edited by Kenneth66; 05/21/22.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 13 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.