Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
This is not a new story but I don’t recall seeing this before. If it has been posted ..I apologize and just pass on by but I thought a break from the doom is refreshing even if that break contains some sadness. 😉. It’s sad that the crew of F/V Destination went down with all hands but I thought the cooperation between NOAA and the Coast Guard was commendable. I’m sure their efforts were appreciated by the loved ones left behind.

As someone that loves the ocean I take no small measure of comfort knowing that the United States Coast Guard is on station. My hat off to all USCG living and dead….

And to my fellow seafaring friends God Bless and be safe out there. 👍

https://www.q13fox.com/news/missing-seattle-based-crab-boat-found-on-ocean-floor

SEATTLE -- A Seattle-based crab boat lost since February was found on the seafloor. The Destination and its six crew members went missing on February 11, 2017, while fishing for snow crab northwest of St. George, Alaska.

Related: Crew of TV’s ‘Deadliest Catch’ mourn loss of Seattle-based crab boat Destination

NOAA confirmed Thursday that two ships, en route to scientific missions in Alaskan waters, helped find Destination.

NOAA Ship Oscar Dyson conducted the first survey from April 30 through May 1. NOAA said the Dyson used its multibeam echo sounder to search the area around the last known position of the Destination.

While the ship was not able to positively identify any contacts, it did narrow the search area.…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RIP Sailors

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Aces,

The ocean is a cold hard bitch sometimes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The price is too high.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from passagemaker.com]
[Linked Image from images.seattletimes.com]

IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Obviously the type of people Seattle can't afford to loose and probably won't replace. RIP men

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Obviously the type of people Seattle can't afford to loose and probably won't replace. RIP men

No too many in the industry are from Seattle

RIP
F/V Destination Crew

[Linked Image from images.seattletimes.com]Jeff Hathaway, 60, captain of the Destination, lived on a ranch near Port Orchard. He is survived by his wife, Sue Pierce Hathaway, and their daughter, Hannah Cassara.

[Linked Image from images.seattletimes.com]Kai Hamik, 29, created videos of the crab seasons. A resident of Chandler, Arizona, he spent some of his childhood in Sand Point, Alaska, where his father worked in the fishing industry. At the time of his death, he lived with his partner, Amanda Hawkins
Kai's Videos on YouTube

[Linked Image from images.seattletimes.com]Charles Glen Jones, 46, a veteran crewman and the boat’s engineer, lived in Belfair. Survivors include his children and his wife, Rosalie Jones.

[Linked Image from images.seattletimes.com]Larry O’Grady, 55, worked on the Destination for more than 20 years. In 2006, after a 17-year courtship, he married Gail Plummer, and the couple lived in Poulsbo.

[Linked Image from images.seattletimes.com]Darrik Seibold, 36, was raised in Petersburg, Alaska, and Olympia. He left behind a young son, Eli, of Sand Point, Alaska. He was described by his brother, Dylan Hatfield, as an inventor and an artist who painted and wrote poetry.

[Linked Image from images.seattletimes.com]Raymond Vincler, 32, was an Aleut native who lived on Akutan Island in the Aleutian chain. He had two boys. His family said he was happiest when he was on the water with his sons, whom he taught to fish and hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The price is too high.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is some tough duty and some of the waters those crews endure for their paycheck is brutal. The farmers of the sea and those who farm the land have always been the "salt of the earth" crowd imo, and their demise always saddens me! Losing folks likes these hard working men is always tough! From the rescue and recovery end of things , I always figured if I had any advice for youngsters wishing to serve their country, the USCG would be a solid move and a very rewarding career path! Rest in Peace , Men , you have earned your respite! The rest of us folks will be along soon!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In 1989, I worked on "F/V Optimus Prime" 163' catcher/processor out of Dutch Harbor (she may have been Seattle registered... I forget.)

... and "F/V Vonnie Marie" out of Homer... 68' longliner.

Crazy stuff... crazy times.

"F/V Optimus Prime" hired me out of Homer... and we took on crab pots so high that the damn boat wanted to turtle running down Shelikof Strait... thru DH/Unalaska.

Pure insanity... doing that work for a living... but the pay was stellar.

I Google Fu for vessels I worked... but no luck

"F/V Rollo" is similar in configuration (but 55' shorter).

https://www.businessinsider.com/corey-arnolds-photos-of-crab-fishing-on-the-bering-sea-2014-8

After quitting the "F/V Vonnie Marie" the rear canopy structure collapsed on the next crew out... busted up a deckhand really bad... both legs broke. Took 2 more days to collect the longlines/gear and 1-2 more days to get back to Homer.

RIP F/V Destination Crew...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by CashisKing
In 1989, I worked on "F/V Optimus Prime" 163' catcher/processor out of Dutch Harbor (she may have been Seattle registered... I forget.)

... and "F/V Vonnie Marie" out of Homer... 68' longliner.

Crazy stuff... crazy times.

"F/V Optimus Prime" hired me out of Homer... and we took on crab pots so high that the damn boat wanted to turtle running down Shelikof Strait... thru DH/Unalaska.

Pure insanity... doing that work for a living... but the pay was stellar.

I Google Fu for vessels I worked... but no luck

"F/V Rollo" is similar in configuration (but 55' shorter).

https://www.businessinsider.com/corey-arnolds-photos-of-crab-fishing-on-the-bering-sea-2014-8

After quitting the "F/V Vonnie Marie" the rear canopy structure collapsed on the next crew out... busted up a deckhand really bad... both legs broke. Took 2 more days to collect the longlines/gear and 1-2 more days to get back to Homer.

RIP F/V Destination Crew...

That is insane , dude! It is about that timeframe I was contemplating chasing after this smoking hot bush pilot from AK ( her and I drank all night at the Lariat Saloon, Grand Lake,CO)and working my way somehow into a job on the water! I am bummed I never got to AK and probably would have enjoyed the raucous sex for a few weeks , but not so bummed I never worked a fishing boat!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gut wrenching.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JeffA

Good stuff!

Thanks for tracking that down. Kai had fun with those videos.

RIP Kia... and crew.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What was your job on the Optimus?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Youtube algorithms have been pestering me to watch a video on this.

Thanks for catching me up.

RIP dudes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I fear/respect very few things as much as I do the ocean.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JeffA
What was your job on the Optimus?

Started as a processor... then some deckhand work.

13-14 men (dedicated Captain, engineer, cook... 4 deckhands... rest were processors... if deckhand got lame a day they would grab a big processor fella and show him the topside). 24 hour a day operation. I was big and dumb so they picked me alot.

Deckhand and cook on the Vonnie Marie. Being a cook is kinda easy... make a chit ton of steak and potatoes... and buckets of ketchup.

5 man crew (Capt and 4 crew)... BRUTAL work. Black Cod (Sablefish)... auto baiter and Marco windlass.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Commercial fishing is the most dangerous job in America. Logging is second.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
RIP Men. The ocean can be a harsh place.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.