Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Gotta redo the wood floor on my 15ft trailer. It’s a I beam and c channel trailer so nothing fancy.

While I’m at it it needs a good Coat or two of paint

It’s not to rusty yet but it’s starting to lose some paint so nows the time

Por15 ( would require a top coat as not uvresistant)
Rust bullet
Rustoleum tractor and implement

Doesn’t have to be cheap but not looking for the most expensive or difficult to use either

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The van sickle enamel avaliable at farm stores dies slow, but is as hard as a hammer when it does dry.....and its cheap and can be buffed.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've used the Rustoleum Farm & Implement since it came out.

Not thrilled with it. Maybe it's just the heat, sun and humidity down here, but it oxidizes quickly, fades, and flakes.

I mostly use black. So recently the past few months anyway, I've switched to Rustoleum Engine Enamel, in black. I have much better luck with it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
https://industrial.sherwin-williams.com/na/us/en/general-industrial.html
Been using Sherwin Williams coatings for awhile now and it's the best.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've used the Rustoleum Farm & Implement since it came out.

Not thrilled with it. Maybe it's just the heat, sun and humidity down here, but it oxidizes quickly, fades, and flakes.

I mostly use black. So recently the past few months anyway, I've switched to Rustoleum Engine Enamel, in black. I have much better luck with it.

Good to know, got a gooseneck I need to paint

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tractor Supply alkyd enamel, with the isocyanate hardener added if it can still be found. Wear a full coverage disposable paper "shoot suit" and a charcoal filter respirator while spraying hardened enamel, as the cyanide compounds can be absorbed through the skin. The hardener makes that cheap enamel tough as woodpecker lips, and glossy.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I did a 10 foot utility trailer with herculiner bed liner on the frame and rails. It has been great. Very durable and not slick when you stand on the rails.

Of course, like everything, good prep work makes a difference.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 05/21/22.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Tractor Supply alkyd enamel, with the isocyanate hardener added if it can still be found. Wear a full coverage disposable paper "shoot suit" and a charcoal filter respirator while spraying hardened enamel, as the cyanide compounds can be absorbed through the skin. The hardener makes that cheap enamel tough as woodpecker lips, and glossy.

Yep. That alkyd enamel isn’t that great UNLESS you spend the extra $20-$30 for hardener. Easily double-triple the lifespan, and looks glossier, too.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Isocyanate hardener...

Got a source?

I looked and struck out.

Thanks.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here's one of 200-something listings on Amazon. 8 ounces of hardener will treat at least half a gallon of paint. I used to use a pint per gallon of unreduced paint back when I managed a body shop. It's listed for acrylic enamel, but it also works on the older style alkyd enamel. Once it's mixed, leftover paint must be used- - - -not stored, so only treat the amount you intend to spray

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-catalyst-hardener-clear-half-1-2-pint

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have used Ospho surface treatment followed by appliance epoxy paint in rust prone areas to good result..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I have used Ospho surface treatment followed by appliance epoxy paint in rust prone areas to good result..

Appliance epoxy paint is glossy as heck, and will look good (and is tough) for a short while. The problem is, it’s NOT UV resistant, and will break down quickly in sunlight. Interior-great. Exterior-not great.

https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/appliance-epoxy-spray

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Was planning on brushing or rolling as I have never sprayed paint through any type of air gun or hvlp

But wth. I’m sure I can watch YouTube and grab a gun at harbor freight. Would a smallish air compressor work?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Use a siphon-type spray gun (the cheap ones) not the HVLP (high volume-low pressure) type that uses up a lot of air. Once you have the paint and hardener mixed properly, dilute the paint about 30% with some kind of thinner, either Naptha or Mineral Spirits if you're using the Harbor Freight tractor enamel. It will dry to the touch in about 2 to 3 hours. Try to paint in a dust-free environment to keep the paint from looking like it has a fur coat after it dries. I've had pretty good luck making a field-expedient spray booth out of PVC pipe and heavy plastic drop cloths to keep the wind and dust at bay. Lightly spraying the area down with a water hose before painting also helps in the dust control dapartment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Was planning on brushing or rolling as I have never sprayed paint through any type of air gun or hvlp

But wth. I’m sure I can watch YouTube and grab a gun at harbor freight. Would a smallish air compressor work?
I've got all sorts of spray guns and air compressors and used to paint cars part-time. BUT, I roll and brush my trailers.

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Brushing is totally fine with me but if needed to spray I’m not afraid to try. It’s a dammn trailer. So who cares if it’s perfect

I’ll just brush and roll if easier

This is going to be done outside on a gravel pad under a metal carport. No way I can make this dust free

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use lots of the Sherwin Williams DTM (direct to metal) enamel on equipment at work. It seems to stand up better than alkyd enamel from the same company. It also goes on thicker and covers with less coats. I do not add a hardener to either type, that may make all the difference IDK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done lots of trailers with plain old Rustoleum over Red Metal Primer and they have lasted me a very long time. I store them outside without a cover and it still seems to hold up. As said, prep is everything no matter what paint you use. If you get a good prep you will get a good finish. I usually use a good brush so I can get in all the tight spots where a sprayer tends to leave bare... if it is thinned properly it will flow and lay down pretty flat but 30% might be bit much thinning if you are going to brush it on.

And don't discount spraying down the area with a spray nozzle on a hose just before painting to keep the dust down. I've painted vehicles outside and the paint came out great without a tent or any other protection- just a good use of a garden hose to keep the dust down before painting and hopefully a fairly still day...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
I use lots of the Sherwin Williams DTM (direct to metal) enamel on equipment at work. It seems to stand up better than alkyd enamel from the same company. It also goes on thicker and covers with less coats. I do not add a hardener to either type, that may make all the difference IDK.
Agree that the DTM is good paint.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Used black emron last time still holding up great.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.