-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread here; and it reminded me of a herd of white deer that lives on the grounds of the old Seneca Army Depot in the Finger Lakes region of NY State, southeast of Geneva NY. Place got fenced in about 1941 and some white deer that were there gradually became the dominant strain and today there's a whole herd of them still fenced in. They say they aren't true albinos because true albinos have pink eyes. There's a group that has a web site about them at: www.senecawhitedeer.org

GB1

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Interesting thread here; and it reminded me of a herd of white deer that lives on the grounds of the old Seneca Army Depot in the Finger Lakes region of NY State, southeast of Geneva NY. Place got fenced in about 1941 and some white deer that were there gradually became the dominant strain and today there's a whole herd of them still fenced in. They say they aren't true albinos because true albinos have pink eyes. There's a group that has a web site about them at: www.senecawhitedeer.org

Wow, cool.

Some decent buck pics too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found another pic of our albino doe with a friend. Like Cariboujack posted…sometimes it’s better to just appreciate.

Doc_Holidude

Attached Images
Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 04/23/22.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Probly 30 years ago, in NY southern tier, I had a piebald spike horn come off the hill in front of me. Would have been an easy standing shot. I passed, not because of the spikes, but I figured it’s unusual and I’d like to run into him again. Thought it was a goat coming through the woods at first.

Unfortunately, another member of our party wasn’t as impressed by the piebald coloring. He shot at it but didn’t think he hit it. Turns out that he did and we found the carcass a few days later. Even now I don’t think I’d shoot one.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you do "the Hoodoo will put the voodoo" on you!!!! Way too pretty to look at for me, couldn't do it ( and I ain't scared of the Devil himself!) lol

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A buddy of mine shot a 10 point 180 lb buck in Maine that was piebald. Had an odd body, not in proportion. A couple wardens came over to camp to see it and thanked him for killing it before it bred.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, I would shoot a piebald deer, given the opportunity.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, just another deer for the freezer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think piebald is all that uncommon. On the battlefields at Yorktown, Va, I've seen quite a few, one with a white belly that wraps around both sides so the deer only has a brown stripe down its back connecting its brown shoulders and rump. I guess they just pass the piebald gene around.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just me,
But I do not think I would, unless it was wounded or sick.
And legal to do so.
To each his own.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only if it stood still….

Used to see white ones near Dulles Airport when I was working and along 15 near Leesburg.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Nope, don’t really care to kill anymore.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 22250rem

Seen them a bunch of times driving up to Belhurst. Did a double take the first time I saw four white deer feeding right off the side of the road.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a pure albino deer should be shot they can carry diseases and don`t have good enough genes to fight of sicknesses as easy either. i would never eat a albino anything. you want a healthy deer heard you shot these inferior deer period .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've shot a couple of piebalds and would do so again given the opportunity. Everything I've read states it's caused by inbreeding and those I've shot had shorter legs and goat like appearances. Don't want or need them in a healthy deer population.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.