-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This statement is in the 2022 regulations. This is a list of prohibited broadheads:

With arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is
a broadhead with any portion of which forms an angle less
than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule except mechanical
broadheads.

Here's how it has been worded in previous years. Again, it's a list of prohibited broadheads:

With arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is a
broadhead with any portion of which forms an angle less than
90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule.

It looks to me like mechanicals are now allowed but this is the only thing in the regulations about it. A search of their website has nothing else on it. They're really leaving it up in the air as to interpretation.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I answered my own question. The prohibition of mechanicals and lighted nocks has been by the Idaho Fish and Game commission. They've refused to budge. This got introduced in the Idaho legislature to go around the Commission. It passed the house and senate by huge margins and was signed by the governor. So, they're now allowed in Idaho. They sure didn't mention it in the big game regulations, though, so it's up to hunters to keep informed.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've been watching my Idaho DWR updates - no mention there, nor do I expect to see one.

Been a long time coming.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
So, now I have to learn something about mechanicals since they've never been allowed here before. What's a good one for deer?

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The SEVR heads are worth looking at. They are made of high quality materials and sharp. Their deployment method, works with quartering shots. The blades also lock for practice.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Uggh - the mech discussion tends to get heated at times, there's some pretty strong opinions eek

I do use mechs every year, my reliable is a Rage 100-150 grain for Eastern mid-Atlantic whitetails - with the cut on contact tip and two blade.

While I 've read the failure stories about Rages, I haven't seen one fail yet - but I also did my part on shot placement, and shot angle, and I've helped drag a lot of deer out that were Rage killed.

I did review on here several years ago of the NAP Killzones - they've also worked very well, but didn't have a CoC tip at the time - I'd also use those without hesitation.

I experimented with the Evolution Outdoors Jekyll and Hyde over the past three years - 150 grain - with the fixed blade for Idaho elk, and switching to the mech blades for whitetail here.

The attraction was one head, two options for blades that are legal in both, and no need to resight in between hunts - and I will affirm that both configurations fly to the same point of aim.

Having taken one elk with the fixed - I wasn't impressed with the hole, the wound channel, and the time to bleed out.

I took a large (for this area) WT doe later in the season here - the swing blades laid her open, and tagged the heart, but they also bent quite a bit, and it looked like the blades had bent a bit on hitting the ribs.

The Evolution blades are not "shaving sharp" out of the package, and they are bit of a PITA to touch up with the curved blades and the small size - I'm probably switching again.

Or, I'll just stick with the Slick Tick Vipers out West, and Rage back here - the Slick Tricks have brought three elk home for me.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/16/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
So, now I have to learn something about mechanicals since they've never been allowed here before. What's a good one for deer?

You don't have to change. If you have something that works now, why change? I never have any problem getting fixed heads to fly, and I know they work.

Last edited by centershot; 05/19/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure hope mechanicals are more reliable than they were when they first came out. I saw several broken blades, failure to open, etc. I haven’t used one in years.

I don’t even like replaceable blade heads for elk and moose. I moved to 1 piece heads simply due to less moving parts.

Are the newer mechanicals reliable when big bone and heavy muscle comes into play?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I usually keep my mouth shut about this issue, but I'll ask just this one question - How many years/decades/lifetimes have non-mechanicals worked for you?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have taken many more deer with mechanicals than fixed blades. Success has been good with fixed blades and great with mechanicals. On average Id say my blood trails have been 1/4th the length when shooting mechanicals. Nap spitfire in my case. Started shooting the Spitfires back in 2005 ish. Usually paired the 3 blade 1.5" cut diameter with a 450 grain total arrow weight or a bit more. 30" draw & worked with 60 to 70 lb draw weight bows.

All that being said Id like to give a single blade single bevel broad head a try as well with a heavy arrow.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not a fan of mechanical heads.

But illuminated nocks?

that’s big medicine!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bbassi
I usually keep my mouth shut about this issue, but I'll ask just this one question - How many years/decades/lifetimes have non-mechanicals worked for you?
To be honest, I haven't bowhunted for quite a while. My partner gave it up and I haven't had anyone to bowhunt with. My friends all hunt the rifle seasons. I'd like to get back to it, though, if my shoulder will cooperate. I had surgery this last winter and it hasn't healed well. It would be solo and I'm 73 so that's an issue.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 17 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.