Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Specifically regarding your first aid kit.
My sister is a NP and works in the ER and my brother in law was an EMT. Both of them suggested that I add a chest seal bandage like Hyfin Vent to my little first aid kit I keep in my daypack.
Getting a sucking chest wound from an atv crash is probably more likely than getting one on hike in hunt.
My brother in law also said you might not be fully conscious or able to speak when help finds you so put a sharpie pen in the first aid kit to write on your skin to record like when you applied a tourniquet, or to track swelling of a bite from something venomous, or record when and how much medication you took if your able to get some prescription strength pain killers to carry in your first aid kit.
They are both really small lightweight items that I was able to stuff into the existing carry bag for the first aid kit.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not quite on subject but relevant.

Knowing what to do and how to do it is as important as what is in your kit bag. I just finished a 40 hour Wilderness First Aid course put on by NOLS. I highly recommend it over a standard first aid course. Much more in depth and geared towards back country treatment of injuries. Seriously eye opening! You will learn what the most useful things to carry are.

An interesting takeaway from the course was that your first aid kit should be repacked for every trip just as the gear you take varies. Depending on where you are going, how long, how many people in your group, is someone else trained and carrying a kit. Talk to your group and find out if anyones has health issues you need to keep an eye on or pack special gear for, like allergies, diabetes, seizures, what meds they take and what happens if they run out. The list goes on. I guess I'd say knowledge is the best thing to pack in your 72 hour kit bag!

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
If you're going to on ATVs anyway, I would go with a much bigger kit.

In Alaska I saw too many people get separated from their ATV. It certainly doesn't hurt to carry additional survival stuff in their ATV but I also keep enough survival stuff with me (fanny pack) that I can get by for a couple of days should we get separated.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tkinak
Not quite on subject but relevant.

Knowing what to do and how to do it is as important as what is in your kit bag. I just finished a 40 hour Wilderness First Aid course put on by NOLS. I highly recommend it over a standard first aid course. Much more in depth and geared towards back country treatment of injuries. Seriously eye opening! You will learn what the most useful things to carry are.

An interesting takeaway from the course was that your first aid kit should be repacked for every trip just as the gear you take varies. Depending on where you are going, how long, how many people in your group, is someone else trained and carrying a kit. Talk to your group and find out if anyones has health issues you need to keep an eye on or pack special gear for, like allergies, diabetes, seizures, what meds they take and what happens if they run out. The list goes on. I guess I'd say knowledge is the best thing to pack in your 72 hour kit bag!

Excellent point.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
‘Jack,

That was my original point, lost on the many.

After I attended Arctic Survival School at Eielson, I got into the habit of taking a fanny pack anytime I was off of my ATV.

Similar to the “Surviving a Cold, Wet Night” thread, I was looking for best practices around the minimal gear you’d take when you leave your ATV, for any reason. And, the logic in the choices for your personal minimalist survival kit.

Per the below, some people missed that point entirely.

Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
If you're going to on ATVs anyway, I would go with a much bigger kit.

In Alaska I saw too many people get separated from their ATV. It certainly doesn't hurt to carry additional survival stuff in their ATV but I also keep enough survival stuff with me (fanny pack) that I can get by for a couple of days should we get separated.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was carrying a kit bag only to help on an unexpected night out, I'd prioritize fire starting first. A couple ways of ignition and even one of the small flares that are sold (Orion pit fire flare mini flares), along with a Trioxane bar or something similar- basically something that you know is going to get a fire going regardless.

A decently stocked personal first aid kit- would be easy to come up with a pretty good compact kit for 4-5 oz.

If it fit (should fit the larger kit bags), an insulating blanket like the Blizzard Compact blanket. https://5col.com/products/blizzard-compact-blanket

I'd make sure my inReach was tethered to the kit bag.

A good headlamp w/ spare batteries.

Map & compass (my compass is usually tethered and in my pocket).

Few high calorie bars.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Add a couple of packs of Celox gauze.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.