Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ludwig Olson’s article on the 98 Mauser in the Rifle # 154, July-August 1994 was most informative for me. I have had a few Mausers in my lifetime, fewer than a dozen. But I had little knowledge of the various 98 Mausers. Many of you are much more knowledgable than me. But for people such as me with desire to learn more regarding the 98 this is an excellent article.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's so good everyone to this day has designed from it.

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don`t know if it`s still in print, but if so, buy his book on Mauser Rifles. Everything you need to know.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Don`t know if it`s still in print, but if so, buy his book on Mauser Rifles. Everything you need to know.
I'm pretty sure I had that book once. I can't find it. Grrrr

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think my brother and I traded some books. I guess one of my nephews has that book now.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
PM sent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure miss that magazine. And Handloader.
From then.

Mule Deer has repeatedly explained why things are the way they have become. And I believe him.

But that doesn't change the fact that those issues were reference material worth keeping. Now.....

Still get them, childish anticipation to get the next one is the driving factor.
The disappointment on receipt is overpowering it though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I'm pretty sure I had that book once. I can't find it. Grrrr

Used copies of the book are readily available on the Internet--but naturally cost more than they did originally. With just a little Googling I found them for $70 up.

Another very useful reference is MAUSER MILITARY RIFLES OF THE WORLD, by Robert D.W. Ball. It can be found for around $50, but there's also a Kindle version.

Years ago Ludwig Olson phoned me,after reading one of my articles. (He went by "Lud.") We had a very interesting conversation. Unfortunately he passed away not long afterward.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ludwig Olson left us all a legacy.

As an alternative, I would sniff around Firearms News' website and see if they have a PDF of their Mauser compendium. Bunch of articles about Mauser this, Mauser that, sporterizing, kloodging, tons of good stuff. I have a hard print copy stashed (memorized all of it) and can't tell you the title, but it was worth getting. Didn't get so much into the "fine" Mausers as it did milsurps, but it's useful.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TBREW401
PM sent
Ill get back to you.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The other essential book might be Stuart Otteson's THE BOLT ACTION: A DESIGN ANALYSIS. Which describes exactly why the 98 is so good.

It's also available in an e-book version.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jon Speeds book on commercial factory Mausers is a must have……

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 655 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.