Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I guess you could download a .22-250 Rem, but wouldn't it be nice if someone made a .22 cartridge with long barrel life, specifically for short .308 length bolt actions?

A long narrow case would allow for more magazine capacity. Every bolt action maker could chamber for it without modifying their actions to suit the .223 Rem.

Would it sell?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Think you just described the .223

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Higginez

Yeah but the .223 isn't chambered in Winchester Model 70 CRF rifles for a reason.

Better a cartridge designed to cycle and feed in a short action big game rifle than kludging a tiny case into the role.

No?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
? The .223 does not function in a CRF action?

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure what you're talking about?....

Ruger Hawkeye in .223 rem. It's a CRF action....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A .223 Rem is a short action... Plus, why does it need to be a CRF? You do realize any M-16/AR-15 action that has been in service since Vietnam to fight wars is a pushfeed, right?

To answer your question. Yes it would sell. Just like bolt action .223's sell. They are fairly popular.

Todd

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Higginez

That’s what I thought. It’s just about perfect. Need bigger, get a 22-250.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can't figure out what the OP is looking for... I have several Winchester model 70s that are push feed, in 223... guess a barrel could be made for that chambered in a 222 Remington Mag, or a host of other cartridges..

If he is looking for a cartridge that will fit into a short action with a Model 70 CRF, or a Ruger 77 with CRF, with a .473 bolt face...
the world has a 22 BR chambering available ( even if one has to go the custom barrel route), or necking down to a 22 PPC, or the Grendel necked down to 22 caliber... I think that is commercially on the market, but I have no need for one, so I'm not all up on it...

Then Nosler has that little Valkyrie case its been pushing, on what ever other cartridge that is based off of... Federal chambers it besides Nosler...

I ended up with a couple hundred pieces of brass that are brand new, not used... that are made by Lapua, that are the Russian 7.62 x 39 necked down to 22 caliber, but they aren't head stamped 22 PPC...Ruger use to chamber that round in a Model 77 Varmint set up.. in both 22 cal and 6mm.

These are all smaller than a 22.250 if that is too big for what he is looking for....myself, I'd just tend to load a 22.250 down if I wanted less HP...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
OP needs to track down a Kimber Montana.

Good luck!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Before the commercially produced 22-250, there was the Weatherby 224 magnum. It is a nice fit...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
CRF short action for .223?

Find a CZ527 before the supply dries up.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Philthegyezer: I think the Remington Arms Corporation started making the Rifle you described in 1964 (58 years ago!)!
At least thats about when I bought one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Did I misunderstand your posting?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was going to do a 22 along these lines, the answer is something in the Soviet cases. 22 Grendel, 22 PPC? And if you want CRF, a 527. Or you could go with a Ruger American if they have Americans in whateverX39.
By the way, I also have a 22BR and like it, it would be fun to shorten a 98 action because it almost needs CRF with ejection Mauser style, not Rem style.
But a by 39 in a standard, OR a wildcat, is probably the most rational way to go.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Kimber Montana .223, Controlled round feed for charging coyotes...mine is very accurate too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot every chambering thus far cited and the 224Wby is easily the Biggest Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. That due both case design and the schit Weatherby action to boot. I shoot a "few" .224" chamberings. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

As CRF goes,I hear good thangs about a 8" RPM Montucky in 6BR. A 22BR could be arranged in like fashion,but all of mine are on 700's sipping outta AICS DBM's. Hint.

'Course a Montucky STEALS the fhuqking show in 223,223AI and 270 too. Hint.

I'm not a CRF Guy or begin to give a Flying Fhuqk about it,mainly because less IS more. Vudoos being THE exception. The 224 and 243 Grendels are fhuqking SENSATIONAL,whether in Turnbolt or Krunchenticker. A Carbon Mini 22 PPC Alaska Fhuqking Improved in 7" RPM,is a Giant Killer with 88's. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A quick 1000 words,if only because I shoot it all and then some. Hint.

If only as per always,bullets matter MOST. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He's talking about a cartridge that fits a .473 bolt face yet gives .223 ballistics for those of you geniuses with comprehension shortcomings. Sheesh.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Joan,

I see you yet again "forgot" about your "heralded" Imaginary Pretend Ignore...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that your Brokedick Dumbfhuqktitude ain't fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Pardon a 22 and 243 BR being .473",as you feverishly GoogleFu your next Day Dreaming Delusion. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

This makes it a BIG Day for you,as now you can say you've "seen" one. Pardon the bore size stumping you and your Minimum Wage "means". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt and rattle Pom-Pom's. Hint

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick,
The reason I would want CRF is extraction, not feeding. I've had issues with both the BR and Fireball extracting, basically the spring ejector parks the case sideways in the action ring unless you YANK the bolt back fast enough. I sort of like, in my leisurely way when I'm not defending a charge, being able to just grab the fired case off the bolt face without ejecting it.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I love that Blackheart can decipher that schidt sandwich like a pro!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness,don't slight Joan's Bumbling Brokedicktitude,as her net "worth" is farrrrrr less than a day's pay. Hint.

I reckon I've more than a dozen Grendel/BR's on Push Feeds and have yet to "note" and extraction "issue". That despite bolt velocity and I'm hard on schit. Hint.

My CRF's have NO "advantage" there and I prefer Push Feed simplicity,mainly because I fhuqking shoot it all and then some. Hint.

Just sayin'....................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (222Sako, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.