Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka
I realized after 2 weeks it was a scam. Jumped in beginning of April 2020.

This is a completely real crisis . we're phugged, Depends how bad and how long
Correct, I recognized the 2020 opportunity. This is different, way different.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Totally different scenario, but during the Covid Crash in May/June 2020 my IRA took an almost identical hit.
I didn’t capitulate then and rode it out (very happy that I did). Hoping this outcome is similar.

the crash now is completely different and worse and longer lasting. The crash of March 2020 was a lifetime buying opportunity especially in energy stocks. I made a killing.

I waiting at least 6 months start putting n market again unless drastic changers. maybe a few swing trading days

Are you completely out, including oil and gas?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
What you can do is rebalance the portfolio into something with less risk and more "conservation of principle" but the time to do that was December or January. About the only thing one can do now is to ride this out and when stocks have regained their value then move into a less exposed position.

The market goes up and the market goes down, but in the long run the market goes up. Therefore, it's not timing the market that counts, it's time in the market.

That's true but that doesn't help us older guys unless we're strictly concerned with enriching the Trust for the kids after we're gone or something ... and I'm not. Grandkids maybe. I didn't plan on leaving much, I planned on the wifey and I having a good time 'till the end and then leaving enough for her to be taken care of.

Had it all planned out.

Brandon and his people are intentionally fuqing that up for millions of us.

The market doesn't bounce back overnight. It'll take two decades to recover after this $#!+ show is over ... if ever.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Often quoted over the years in any up or down period:

“This time is different “.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kingston
Totally different scenario, but during the Covid Crash in May/June 2020 my IRA took an almost identical hit.
I didn’t capitulate then and rode it out (very happy that I did). Hoping this outcome is similar.

the crash now is completely different and worse and longer lasting. The crash of March 2020 was a lifetime buying opportunity especially in energy stocks. I made a killing.

I waiting at least 6 months start putting n market again unless drastic changers. maybe a few swing trading days

Im still in on 2020 buy in prices on trading accounts . I wouldn't buy in now in anything unless occasional swing trade.

My 401 k account is back in cash since last December. waiting for more correction to jump back in

Silver is looking tempting. that would be maybe 15 per cent of portfolio if decide

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sako76
Hold on, the stock market will bounce back! It may take a year or two.
It always does.
Never use the news cycle as an investment guide.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by kingston

Im still in on 2020 buy in prices on trading accounts . I wouldn't buy in now in anything unless occasional swing trade.

My 401 k account is back in cash since last December. waiting for more correction to jump back in

Silver is looking tempting. that would be maybe 15 per cent of portfolio if decide

Silver.

ETF or direct holding of the metal?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sako76
Hold on, the stock market will bounce back! It may take a year or two.
or 4 or 5

How long did it take for the stock market to recover from the crash of 1929?

Maybe a young buck could ride that out, but I sure wouldn't want to leave my money in stocks if we have a catastrophe like 29. I wouldn't live long enough to see the recovery.

I'm not predicting such a thing, but it all looks shaky as hell these days.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have this mulling in my mind the last few weeks....

I have the money in my IRA in oil futures EFT's and dividend stocks that I got at a bargain a while back... and paper gold and silver. So I feel good... when gold and silver finally take off... I will wait and when the price is good I will flip them into some beet down stocks that will pay a good dividend, That is the strategy right now..
anyways...

My 401K I have fewer options... half in cash and half in international stocks... I will ride out the storm with that. My options for investing are very limited in my 401K. My other thought was.... with my 401K... If for instance, if we have a big housing crash... and I see houses better than the one I live in selling for 50-60K like they did back in 2009... I will cash out my 401k and pay the tax and the penalty... and buy a few houses to rent out if I can get them close by. I think owning a hard asset like a house paying $1000-$1200/month would be better in the long run... say the 10-15 year time line, rather than leave it in a stagnant stock market.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm considering that too for my 401 k funds

Originally Posted by mikieb
I have this mulling in my mind the last few weeks....

I have the money in my IRA in oil futures EFT's and dividend stocks that I got at a bargain a while back... and paper gold and silver. So I feel good... when gold and silver finally take off... I will wait and when the price is good I will flip them into some beet down stocks that will pay a good dividend, That is the strategy right now..
anyways...

My 401K I have fewer options... half in cash and half in international stocks... I will ride out the storm with that. My options for investing are very limited in my 401K. My other thought was.... with my 401K... If for instance, if we have a big housing crash... and I see houses better than the one I live in selling for 50-60K like they did back in 2009... I will cash out my 401k and pay the tax and the penalty... and buy a few houses to rent out if I can get them close by. I think owning a hard asset like a house paying $1000-$1200/month would be better in the long run... say the 10-15 year time line, rather than leave it in a stagnant stock market.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Don't forget the taxes you will have to pay for cashing a IRA of 401K.
Like losing to FJB twice!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DavePrice
Don't forget the taxes you will have to pay for cashing a IRA of 401K.
Like losing to FJB twice!

oh I know

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Gold is down $350.00 an oz. from its’ high a month or so ago. Silver is down $4.25 an oz. from a couple weeks ago.
Precious metals are a crapshoot.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good time to get in. I wouldn't go all in. Dollar cost in.

It doesn't matter who gets more votes, It matters who counts the votes.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

You Had your Chance .. We’re going to have at least 3 Recessions in a Roll..
Demand destruction is the Only way to Stop Inflation..
The Stampede is Near..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy low sell high.

And everyone wants in when it's high.
And out when it's dropping.

When the gutless sell,
The bold profit.

Not trying to offend anyone.

Just being blunt

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 05/21/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I moved all ten of the mutual funds in my 401K into a money market the week I read about the virus out in those Seattle nursing homes. Everybody at work thought I was a loon. I actually went back to the same ten funds the exact day the market bottomed at like 18,500 I rode it up to 32K and got worried and put it all back in to a money market. I missed the last 4K rise but such is life. Back earlier this year I put half the money market money in about five funds for about a week or so ( I forget maybe it was 3-4 weeks) anyway I got back out before it started this year down and I'm up about 4 percent YTD and on the sidelines. I can't for the life of me decide what to do now. On one hand I want to buy in Monday with half my cash and wait for the other half ,but on the other hand we could go way down if covid does it's new WHO death variant late summer just in time for the Fall voting or something goes nuclear in eastern Europe. It's hard to know how to play it when you honestly believe those in charge in DC would do anything stay in power and continue their evil and could care less about middle America.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Buy low sell high.

And everyone wants in when it's high.
And out when it's dropping.

When the gutless sell,
The bold profit.

Not trying to offend anyone.

Just being blunt

Be fearful when all are greedy. Be greedy when all are fearful.

Warren Buffett’s mantra.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Your IRA in pre or post tax (roth) funds?

I see people cash out their safe harbor matched IRA all the time and get shelled on taxes. It can work, but make sure you are thinking through the hemorrhage points.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's money to be made for the really bold folks, but I am in cash equivalents in my IRA and 401K accounts until I see a broad based positive trend. The volatility today makes my stomach turn

Last edited by Smokey262; 05/22/22.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.