Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
BP-B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I only watched the first few seconds but I think that guy should not have dropped out of chemistry in high school.

He's using fossil fuel to separate water into oxygen and hydrogen and then burning the hydrogen. Unfortunately that would make less energy than merely burning the fossil fuel in the first place, without the hydrogen.

You could theoretically design a car to run on a tank of hydrogen (forget the electrolysis) but to get enough you'd probably have to cool it to liquid hydrogen temperatures. that would be very expensive and dangerous, and also it would evaporate very quickly.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It appears the guy is trying to put it all together. Let's hope he is successful.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
He was killed in a recent mass shooting

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Compressed hydrogen has a very wide flammable range that makes it more dangerous if there are any leaks. Hydrogen is a very small and would be difficult to contain with normal threaded connections and typical seals. These things and the cost of separating water using more energy than the hhdrogen will produce make it difficult to plan it as.a current alternative to hydrocarbon fuels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How to do Hydrogen... right.

GR

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Did someone find a source of Hydrogen other than electrolysis of water?

If not, it will take an unlimited supply of electricity to produce the Hydrogen required to fuel America's fleet of passenger and commercial vehicles. It might work out well when we have fusion energy plants dotting every coastline in the world.

But in reality, electricity is easier to transport than is Hydrogen gas. And it is a lot more efficient to use electricity for motive power than to use electricity to produce Hydrogen and convert that to motive power.

Should we even mention the Hindenburg?

Here's a novel thought. Build the Fusion plants (or other nukes) , produce lots of electricity, separate the Hydrogen out of water, them bond it to atmospheric carbon to produce methane, propane, butane, octane, etc and transport it with proven safe and effective methods.

Zero net vehicle emissions! And consumption only of Deuterium and Tritium.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
To my understanding hydrogen fuel is quite doable. It's Greenland or Iceland one has lots of public transport buses and such that are ran from hydrogen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Did someone find a source of Hydrogen other than electrolysis of water? None that I'm aware of.

If not, it will take an unlimited supply of electricity to produce the Hydrogen required to fuel America's fleet of passenger and commercial vehicles. It might work out well when we have fusion energy plants dotting every coastline in the world. There are many ways to generate electricity that do not consume fossil fuels, rely on rare earth metals, and are cheaper than nukes.

But in reality, electricity is easier to transport than is Hydrogen gas. And it is a lot more efficient to use electricity for motive power than to use electricity to produce Hydrogen and convert that to motive power. Electricity is not a viable fuel for high performance aircraft.

Here's a novel thought. Build the Fusion plants (or other nukes) , produce lots of electricity, separate the Hydrogen out of water, them bond it to atmospheric carbon to produce methane, propane, butane, octane, etc and transport it with proven safe and effective methods. Fusion power plants remain a pipe dream. At such time as the tech matures it might open a lot of doors.

Zero net vehicle emissions! And consumption only of Deuterium and Tritium. And lithium.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Did someone find a source of Hydrogen other than electrolysis of water? None that I'm aware of.

If not, it will take an unlimited supply of electricity to produce the Hydrogen required to fuel America's fleet of passenger and commercial vehicles. It might work out well when we have fusion energy plants dotting every coastline in the world. There are many ways to generate electricity that do not consume fossil fuels, rely on rare earth metals, and are cheaper than nukes.

But in reality, electricity is easier to transport than is Hydrogen gas. And it is a lot more efficient to use electricity for motive power than to use electricity to produce Hydrogen and convert that to motive power. Electricity is not a viable fuel for high performance aircraft.

Here's a novel thought. Build the Fusion plants (or other nukes) , produce lots of electricity, separate the Hydrogen out of water, them bond it to atmospheric carbon to produce methane, propane, butane, octane, etc and transport it with proven safe and effective methods. Fusion power plants remain a pipe dream. At such time as the tech matures it might open a lot of doors.

Zero net vehicle emissions! And consumption only of Deuterium and Tritium. And lithium.

Thanks Dan. That led to some interesting rabbit holes.

Next research subject: where does all the Tritium for gun sights come from?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks again. I had not come across that article yet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A big issue with H2 is the necessary storage tanks. To store it as a pressurized gas, you need a tank that can handle as much as 10k psi, something like 50x more than propane. To store it as a liquid, you're talking super cold and a tank to keep it that way. It just isn't practical for general use.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hydrogen powered vehicles have been commercially available for decades. During my college years (early 90’s), the campus buses were hydrogen powered. The UK made a big push in the 2000s to get people to convert to hydrogen, by discounting it significantly vs gasoline and diesel. A retrofit kit for a pickup truck costed about 3K.

Range is limited, due to the volume of hydrogen able to be stored.

It only makes sense if the ability to make hydrogen from water if the power source came from low cost no hydrocarbon based source (I.e. nuclear, hydro, etc.) or was a byproduct of another industrial process.

Last edited by Stammster; 05/21/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (308ld, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.