Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Dad planted Okra, we loved it. I’m jealous of you guys planning now. I’ll be waiting till about mid May. If it warms up more I may get potatoes in the ground the first of May. We’ve had frost here Memorial Day weekend.

Hang in there will be here before you know it. Sounds like y'all have a short growing season How long does it last ??

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
james rinse the okra well when you pick it to get the slime off

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Yep, started the first summer in the new house, nothing like your own fresh produce !!

Did layer hens, in September of that year too, oh my, the eggs are another bounty !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So satisfying !!

Great looking stuff guy's!

Originally Posted by hanco
I may have to build some raised beds like these for tomatoes. We have had so much spring rain here the last few years, plants die.

The Raised bed's work great as many good pics in the thread show, from several. Remember to provide good drainage at the bottom, so as not to trap water, also!

I have everything Mounded, and running Vertical with the Land, taking advantage of Natural Drainage as much as possible!

I'm big on natural soil from Compost, in the back woods on soil, from the trees Naturally, and adding fresh natural soil all year long.
The Asparagus will start to show up soon, as last night we did have, a fresh light snow!
We won't put our Garden in for at least another month, as the last frost is usually, around Memorial Day, as a Rule of Thumb!
Our Asparagus is covered with about 12 inches of Mulched Leaf Compost, as it helps insulate the plants over Winter, and it protects it up North Here!
As far as Fertilizer, We don't use any Commercially produced products as everything comes from China, including Bag's of Soil, and I'm just not a Fan!
We use Epsom Salts with Warm Water, as a Natural Fertilizer, and It really Works Well, using Home Made, Sprays to Deter bug's during the season, such as Garlic oil, with,
Vegetable oil, and Dawn dish detergent, and not only is it all natural but it's very economical! Placing a little Epsom Salts in the bottom of the hole of each plant, and a little bit of,
Fresh Composted soil over that, and it really works Well! On the Tomatoes I've experimented with some granular sugar in the bottom of the hole for sweeter tomatoes, and so far no negative,
tests with that as we separate to test, different results! I know it's crazy but Fun! 30 ft. X 40 ft. Garden, is plenty as we do about 50 tomato plants, and about 50 different pepper plants,
Garlic, Onions, and a lot of Shallots for cooking. a couple different kinds of Tomatoes, as the Hybrid seem to do better with less Disease than the Heirlooms!
Although I like to plant a few, Heirlooms, like Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim! Their extremely Tasty, just not very Redish in Color, and eye appealing to most, but great Taste!
We do a lot of Herbs for Cooking, as my Wife is a Fantastic Cook! Basil, Thyme,Cilantro, Parsley, Dill,etc....................
We don't do Corn, as when it's in season, the Farmers around sell it for $ 2-3 bucks a Dozen, so, it's really not worth it, and it not only requires more space and room, but it also shades,
the other plants. I miss doing the Beans, as in a few yrs. I'll probably go back to them. We use to do Broccoli, eggplant, cauliflower, and a few other things, but the time commitment is huge and I do like to
keep it neat and clean like many of the rest of your pictures show. That is a nice benefit to the Raised beds! I do use straw as a top compost, mulch, and it helps to keep the weeds down!
In the spring I'll turn the last years straw under, and it really helps to improve the soil, as I test it annually!
The Garden is Fenced in, because there's Deer, Squirrels, Turkey, etc....................
As we live in the Woods, close to Civilization! LOL!!!
Good Luck All!

How often do you use the homemade spray for bugs??

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I need to get busy, get mine in.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Paul, if you want some dry fertilizer, just say so!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Dad planted Okra, we loved it. I’m jealous of you guys planning now. I’ll be waiting till about mid May. If it warms up more I may get potatoes in the ground the first of May. We’ve had frost here Memorial Day weekend.

Hang in there will be here before you know it. Sounds like y'all have a short growing season How long does it last ??

I’ll be putting beans and corn in the ground first week of June at this elevation. Plants the same week. It all depends on if the weather stays warm, trying not to do it too early and having to replant.

Digging potatoes around the middle of September, picking corn mid August. Canning beans end of July or first of August. Tomatoes/Squash/Peppers July-September.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I been using Fish Emulsion Fertilizer and MorBloom on my vegetables plants with good results anybody use it?

I also spray my vegetable plants with Southern Ag Triple Action Neem Oil with good results anybody use it?

Last edited by Riverc; 04/01/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve used the fish emulsion on my tomato plants, nasty smelling stuff. I’ve never used the Neem oil. Normally I don’t have an issue with insect pest unless they are japanese beetles. Last year my neighbor finally sprayed his rose plants so I didn’t have but a few beetles on my corn and I crushed them there. I have used Sevin Dust.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to spray multiple times a year to control insects. Of course, I have a large garden, plus a lot of other host plants. The potato beetles are usually hardest to control, along with the squash bugs. I also have to spray beans, corn, tomatoes, and sometimes the strawberries. I use Sevin, Captain Jack's, Colorado Potato Beetle Beater, some organic stuff on occasion, and I have been known to use some off label chemicals made for use on agricultural crops.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Garden is in, everything planted. Probably going to be working a lot the next few weeks so I got it done this evening. Hope it’s not to early for the beans.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My garden really looks good, but does need a rain. I'm through planting except for some late sweet corn and green beans.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] Mines later than usual just planted beans and corn but the taters are doing great

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Everything is looking good did some weeding this morning also picked Green Beans, Cucumber, Zucchini, Jalapeño and Sweet Banana Pepper. Will be picking Okra soon. Potatoes, Watermelon, Bell Pepper and Tomatoes looking good.

Grilled some fresh picked Zucchini with Olive Oil , Tony's Creole Seasoning and Shredded Cheese yummy.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Picked some Okra yesterday and made a Okra stew with shrimp was good got leftovers for a couple days.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Getting lots of tomatoes, so are the squirrels, but I’m working on them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, and green peas out of mine. I have some potatoes that I need to dig around and get some small ones out to eat on. Green beans are blooming, and so are the tomatoes. Some of the tomatoes have little ones, but it's going to be awhile.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What little bit that I had, went tits up the other day. Six inches of rain on top of saturated ground, and then sunshine near 100 degrees scalded everything. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
What little bit that I had, went tits up the other day. Six inches of rain on top of saturated ground, and then sunshine near 100 degrees scalded everything. miles

I've had tobacco do that. Sometimes it would come out, most of the times it didn't.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Picked my first sugar baby watermelon today will chill it before eating. Have 14 more to harvest when ready, love watermelon when it's hot outside.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Picked my first eggplant yesterday sliced ìt and grilled it with olive oil, Tony's creole. and melted some shredded cheese on top very good.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
465 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.