Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So we have a mockingbird nest right beside the garage here at the house. Momma bird laid 4 eggs. Nest is only few feet off the ground and easy to look at when coming and going. So mid day eggs were in there. This evening gone. Nest intact and undisturbed. Ok got to be a snake. Well a quick hunt around the house and there he was around back. Rat or oak snake. Didn’t kill him but caught and relocated him done the road in wooded area. Feel like he’s just doing what he’s born to do and hungry. What would you have done?

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Getting rid of mocking birds doesn't bother me in the least...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Made snake and eggs for breakfast…..

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There is no wrong in nature. It's the narcissistic, talking monkeys that are the problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birds are nice to watch. I'm not sure what other benefit a mockingbird would offer, but I've enjoyed how they can memorize other bird calls.

Rat snakes get rid of damaging pests, mice, ground moles, ground squirrels, venomous snakes. They are fun to watch too, but rarely seen.

Whatever you chose is a good call. Most men squeal " EEEK!", kill the snake and brag to everyone like they removed a grizzly..... bear handed.
If I were your neighbor down the road, I'd offer to take all snakes off your hands.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 05/21/22.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by lawnman
So we have a mockingbird nest right beside the garage here at the house. Momma bird laid 4 eggs. Nest is only few feet off the ground and easy to look at when coming and going. So mid day eggs were in there. This evening gone. Nest intact and undisturbed. Ok got to be a snake. Well a quick hunt around the house and there he was around back. Rat or oak snake. Didn’t kill him but caught and relocated him done the road in wooded area. Feel like he’s just doing what he’s born to do and hungry. What would you have done?

Sir, I can’t find any fault in your logic and decision. I think not killing an animal that is doing what it was programmed to do is usually the right course of action. There are always exceptions and personal reasons for deviating from that ethos but you did good my friend.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the comments. Yes I like looking and listening to the birds as much as anyone…..but I like snakes too. Moccasins around here ain’t so lucky though! Hate those basterds

A man's got to know his limitations!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In my "not quite yet" elderly state... I tend to live and let live....

I went so far as to pass on killing a skunk this spring.... it looked healthy... was digging grubs... minding it's own business. I thought.... "fair enough"

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mikieb
In my "not quite yet" elderly state... I tend to live and let live....

I went so far as to pass on killing a skunk this spring.... it looked healthy... was digging grubs... minding it's own business. I thought.... "fair enough"

I’m a sappy sucker too and while I’ve LOVED hunting and fishing and wildlife for as far back as I can remember I hate the killing part…I like the eating better than killing so I must kill to hunt but I don’t have to kill to survive, there’s a difference and I know a lot of good men here understand my convoluted thoughts….

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Birds shît on the cars

Make sure you can get a pellet rifle or .22 into the mother bird.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Renegade50 had a rat snake spiral climb his porch posts and eat all the hatchlings of a robin nest.

He let it eat all the babies then chopped the snake up with a shovel. 🤣🤣🤷🏻‍♂️💀☠️🏴‍☠️👺

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our mockingbirds nest in the two cypresses closest to our garage.

Carolina Wrens somehow find a way into my garage every spring ... at least they crap in one corner up near the front where one of the big doors is but they nest in the back on a shelf.

I can guarantee you that your mockingbirds either tried to tell you their nest was in danger or they raised hell at that snake long before he took those eggs. You weren't paying attention.

Either way, you did right relocating the snake.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had mockingbirds nest in a Pine by the driveway.
They got a bit snotty, but I let it slide.
Then they got so bad my wife and kids were afraid to go outside.

Had to quiet them down.

Snakes don't bother me, much.
But, again, a no go for the ladies.
Slice and dice.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would have done the same except maybe leave the snake where it was.

Doesn’t really matter what did it but a nest that easy to see it could have just as easily been a jay or grackle responsible.

Anyhoo... the mockingbirds will just start over in another location around the yard and try again, if songbirds couldn’t do that they would have all gone extinct a long time ago.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Birds are nice to watch. I'm not sure what other benefit a mockingbird would offer, but I've enjoyed how they can memorize other bird calls.

Rat snakes get rid of damaging pests, mice, ground moles, ground squirrels, venomous snakes. They are fun to watch too, but rarely seen.

Whatever you chose is a good call. Most men squeal " EEEK!", kill the snake and brag to everyone like they removed a grizzly..... bear handed.
If I were your neighbor down the road, I'd offer to take all snakes off your hands.

Speaking of snakes, and look at the piece of sheit that showed up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
snakes and eggs....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a lazy Buff Orpington. Sat all the time, never laid any eggs. Always acted broody.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
That's a big bullsnake.

I never knew they would break and suck an egg. I figured they just ate the ones they could swallow.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He swallered a whole one. You can see the lump behind his head in the top pic. I think that one was already busted as he never ate it.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,085
Posts18,463,914
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.